Apple and the iPhone's pickiness with chargers/accessories

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone 5S, I use a Lumia 928 (previously HTC Trophy, Lumia 822).

I love using the wireless charging and got her phone into the game with IKEA's new wireless charging options, the Vitahult charger. VITAHULT Wireless charging cover i5/5S - IKEA

vitahult.PNG

I put it on and all is great as I charge it on my Nokia DT-900 (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...mobile%2Faccessory%2Fdt-900%2F&token=Uj_eFovf)

However, when I try to charge it in the vehicle on the Nokia CR-200 (Nokia Wireless Charging Car Holder - Microsoft - USA) I get the dreaded "This accessory may not be supported" error.
HT1476-ios7-accessory_not_supported-001-en.png

Maybe the problem is the power? But I would assume if the DT900 works, then the CR200 should have problem.

Anyone know enough about charging and the iPhone and these chargers to provide feedback?

BTW, another reason I hate this stupid iPhone more and more. We run into this charging issue with all kinds of cords/USB bricks, etc. It's unbelievably annoying.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Use and official charger/dock/charger accessory, or use one that has the official "Made for iPhone" sticker on it. Otherwise the iPhone will reject it. Apple does that to prevent usage of unofficial charger that has started fires and killed people in the past.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The vitahult case from Ikea has the official "made for iPhone" logo on it. My chargers are non-generic Nokia branded wireless chargers using the qi wireless standard. They work fine with every other phone used with them... Except the ridiculously picky iPhone.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The vitahult case from Ikea has the official "made for iPhone" logo on it. My chargers are non-generic Nokia branded wireless chargers using the qi wireless standard. They work fine with every other phone used with them... Except the ridiculously picky iPhone.

That reminds me of how iPhones can't send files via bluetooth to anything that ISN'T another iPhone or mac. It's insanely annoying.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Use and official charger/dock/charger accessory, or use one that has the official "Made for iPhone" sticker on it. Otherwise the iPhone will reject it. Apple does that to prevent usage of unofficial charger that has not been sold by Apple or paid licensing fees for the official "Made for iPhone" sticker on it.
There, fixed that for you.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, ignore the several cases where people have actually died from using cheap knockoff chargers that set off a fire.
Lots of things can cause a fire. I bet even an official Apple charger could have caught fire. Besides, the proprietary chip is in the cable not the power brick, thus a cheap knockoff charger could be "officially recognized" if you use a certified cable with it.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Is it picking up the nfc chip in the charger?

The desktop charger has no NFC chip. The vehicle charger has one on the bottom. I'm not sure what you mean by "picking up the NFC chip." The iPhone has no NFC chip in it, so I don't see how the NFC in the charger would do anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb