Switching to iPhone from Windows Phone. Tips and tricks?

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I realize this is a touchy topic for many of us, including me. I recently traded in my HTC M8 for Windows for an iPhone. I miss Windows Phone. In many ways, its better than the iPhone. Perhaps my biggest complaint of the iPhone is the keyboard. It's terrible. I can't wait for Wordflow to come to the iPhone. Anyway, I'd like to start a thread for fellow Microsoft enthusiasts to share their tips and tricks on how they have made their iPhones more welcoming to Microsoft services. You might think that iMore would be a better place for this, and maybe you're right, but Apple/Mac people are typically not helpful or receptive to questions on anything related to Microsoft, which is why I'm posting here. :)

I get the ball rolling with something a tip I figured out regarding the Microsoft Band. The Microsoft Band leverages the native iPhone email and calendar apps to display notifications on the mail and calendar tiles on the band. If you want to use Outlook for your mail and calendar app, you need to use the generic 'Notification' tile. Using this approach, you can also remove the mail and calendar tile from your band entirely.

Another tip for the Band. Siri will display reminders on the notification screen on your phone, but they don't get sent to your Band. Cortana to the rescue!!! If you ask Cortana to remind you to check the laundry in 60 minutes, your Band will buzz your wrist as expected.

I'll post more things as I think of them. What tips do you have?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Adapting from what i have written...

Make use of the ringer switch!
Check out all of Microsoft's stuff like Office Lens!
when 9.3 comes out, try out Night Shift mode.

Explore the Accessibility settings under General in Settings, there's a lot of small tweaks you can do that you may like.
Try swiping left on notifications on your lockscreen, you may find extra functionality.
Pull down on notification banners, you will find the same.

Apple Maps has improved since its comical state at debut, if you use it for turn-by-turn navigation, it will integrate with the lockscreen.

You can set photo uploads to Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. not just iCloud.

Marvis is my favorite local music player.

iTunes can sync bookmarks with Internet Explorer if you use it.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Make use of the ringer switch!
Check out all of Microsoft's stuff like Office Lens!

At first I thought the ringer switch was a waste of space, but I find myself using it more and more. Good tip.

Regarding Office Lens. I have always used this to capture my receipts for my expense report. The iOS one behaves differently than Windows Phone. On WP, you could take multiple pictures and upload them at the same time. On iOS, you have to upload each image separately. (or if you can do multiples, I haven't figured it out yet.)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
At first I thought the ringer switch was a waste of space, but I find myself using it more and more. Good tip.

Regarding Office Lens. I have always used this to capture my receipts for my expense report. The iOS one behaves differently than Windows Phone. On WP, you could take multiple pictures and upload them at the same time. On iOS, you have to upload each image separately. (or if you can do multiples, I haven't figured it out yet.)

Man, I forgot how much I missed the ringer switch. (since going in an out of classes makes for quick and easy muting a bonus)
I used to have it on Palm phones, and I'm kinda sad its not on the Windows Phones I've seen.

Its one of the biggest things I miss on my current Galaxy.

My dream phone will certainly have such a switch.

Yea, I noticed the discrepancy. It's nice on one hand because it doesn't clog up the camera roll, but on the other I've done bulk jobs more than once before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes