Moved from 830 to iPhone SE

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
It was incredibly buggy towards the end, it was bound to happen. Couldn't be happier with performance, I still miss the UI (mostly wp7.5) those handy tiles and minimalist desing (at least most of the apps). iOS looks and feels kind of loony, everything's so damn rounded and visually crowded (app icons add 204828493 million colors to the screen). Still an improvement, clearly. Although I would have, once again, (and after a faulty camera module) bet on a windows phone. The only thing that kept me from doing it is the absence of good hardware shaped in a reasonable size for me. The 830 was 5" and it was like waaay on the edge for me, it felt too big more than once. Size was the main reason I went for an iSheep SE, I also considered Sony Z5 Compact, but it didn't support raw and Sony didn't care 2fcks to support it, even though it's been supportes by Android since 5.1. Sony's crappy software updates support left me just one choice: iPhone. (Aside Vivo, but that's pretty unhandy due to import requisites of my country)
This rised another question in my mind, aside the typical 'wtf r u doing ms?' :'D
What's up with small devices? Everyone is going big and I think many users are getting out of options. I would have gone for a one plus but again, bigger phone and camera performance was far behind.
Give me your thoughts.
Have a nice day!

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the SE as well, and it has really been tempting to switch to as my DD, but sticking with my 950. Also have a Pixel, and both are pretty tempting. I do love the size of the SE. Can't comment on battery life as I turn it on for less than an hour a day, but even still it only uses a few percent each time.

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the SE could have a better screen ratio, I still find the decision of keeping the 5s screen good, spare parts and environmentally wise. I had an HTC HD2 at 4.3 inches, it had an amazing screen to body ratio, I still consider it to be one of the best phones I had. For myself 4.5 inches with thin vessels would be ideal. I don't feel 4 inches bad though, i don't use Netflix on the phone, plain stupid... For youtube videos and some news reading it feels perfectly fine. Battery is amazing, it goes through the day smoothly, you can still have juice for most part of the night and even until the next morning or evening (considering after a certain battery percentage you just use the essentials)

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Is 950 stable? I was on the official release on the 830 and it was waaay too buggy, I even had all sorts of visual crap goimg crazy on my screen. And what about the camera? Auto on 830 was never good. Nor on the 920. I always had to go manual to get good pictures. On the SE I go manual just when I want to have the raw file for editing, otherwise the auto does a fantastic job.
Thanks for your thoughts guys.
gl

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Performance of the 950 is great on official release, and camera is great as well. I never used any manual controls, just left it in auto with auto HDR. I had issues with mine on fast ring, and am in the process of resetting it now. While I am doing that I am using.... the iPhone SE.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Funny, my youngest son has the SE. Darn thing is too small to use. I'm typing this with one hand on my X3 while holding my dog's leash in the other. 6" is perfect size.

Sent from mTalk

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It is small, but I like it. I had a 6" phone for a while, but it just wasn't comfortable to use or carry. I do think the standard iphone size of 4.7" to the 950 size of 5.2" is the sweet spot for me, but the price was right on the SE I bought, and I think it is cool that Apple bothered to upgrade the internals of the smaller older phones to match that of the newer models.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Funny, my youngest son has the SE. Darn thing is too small to use. I'm typing this with one hand on my X3 while holding my dog's leash in the other. 6" is perfect size.

Sent from mTalk

I picked up an SE from Cricket yesterday. One handed use is amazing. Don't even know you have it in your pocket. I think there may still be a market for these smaller devices.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I picked up an SE from Cricket yesterday. One handed use is amazing. Don't even know you have it in your pocket. I think there may still be a market for these smaller devices.

Yep, it's like no other. I wish more OEMs including Microsoft and their partners made small phones. There is a market for them for sure.

Personally, I owned the 550 multiple times just because of the size alone haha.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
They don't just need to make small phones, they need to make small phones that aren't bare bones, entry level phones. The reason I like the SE is it has all he 6S internals (minus 3D touch, which I never used anyway) and rear camera, but in the small size.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
They don't just need to make small phones, they need to make small phones that aren't bare bones, entry level phones. The reason I like the SE is it has all he 6S internals (minus 3D touch, which I never used anyway) and rear camera, but in the small size.

You're right, that's a great point. I agree with you on that.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Very good point. Small and less expensive, but not "cheap".

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
That's also why the 550 was a no go for me. I wanted small premium one handed. The z5 compact also had the snapdragon 810 with heating problems. I'm still waiting for MS garage to release Word Flow in Spanish-English multi-language. I really love the semi-circle one handed keyboard.
BTW I also think the iphone 4.7 size is great, its perfectly comfortable with the round edges, but I simply can not bare the design, I just don't like it. I've hold it, its great... But it's not. The SE is beautiful, I'm now waiting for a black matte skin from dbrand ^^ I know some might say it's sacrilege but it's not a rubber case, it's a dbrand black matte pure beauty skin.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a case on mine. I have twin toddlers and they can quickly do some damage if they can reach a phone that is laying around. I am using the Incipio Octane, and like it a lot. Have the same on my Pixel.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's also why the 550 was a no go for me. I wanted small premium one handed. The z5 compact also had the snapdragon 810 with heating problems. I'm still waiting for MS garage to release Word Flow in Spanish-English multi-language. I really love the semi-circle one handed keyboard.
BTW I also think the iphone 4.7 size is great, its perfectly comfortable with the round edges, but I simply can not bare the design, I just don't like it. I've hold it, its great... But it's not. The SE is beautiful, I'm now waiting for a black matte skin from dbrand ^^ I know some might say it's sacrilege but it's not a rubber case, it's a dbrand black matte pure beauty skin.

Great choice! I have a white marble on my SE from them and I love it. It isn't even hard to apply on the SE thankfully.
I hope that you enjoy it!

I'm with you on the design. I also have an iPhone 7 (don't ask) and I found it to be not as interesting as the SE is. It was kind of meh to me actually.

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. It kind of went that way, I didn't know the nature of the thread when I posted, it could also went towards 830's actual stability. Many users must be moving to iphone if on a windows forum there's an iPhone section. lol, so sad MS

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I also jumped from a 620 to an SE, and I love it! After all the horror histories I heard about how Android doesn't behave nicely with Exchange accounts, and the lack of enthusiasm of MS for Windows Mobile, I decided that Apple was my only option. I cannot believe that I stayed until now in the 620 that was becoming sooo slow. 8.1 really destroyed its performance, specially removing some core apps from the OS (calendar, music, etc.).

I wanted the 6s, but my budget didn't allowed it, and I was too scared to buy a 2nd hand one from a random seller. Apple doesn't sell refurbished units in Germany. As I am coming already from a 4 inches devise, the screen is not a problem, even though I would have preferred the 4.7 size. As it was mentioned before, you can barely feel that you have it with you, but it is extremely powerful!

A week after I bought the SE, tried to turn on the 620 to transfer some pictures, and it was DEAD :( . So, I have no regrets whatsoever. I am waiting to see if Apple releases an iPhone with integrated finger scanner in the screen, in a 4.7 inch screen size with slim bezels. That would be the dream :D . Until then, I am happy with the price I paid for the SE unlocked.

I do a couple of live tiles though :( . Maybe Apple can make the widget panel the start screen in the future. I don't understand why they don't make this at least optional. But then I remember that it is Apple we are talking about :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb