Leaving windows phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jord12

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After more than 5 years using windows phone 8, 8.1 (Lumia 820) and windows 10 mobile (lumia 950), I finally switched to iOS for various reasons as many of you have also probably done. I can't really complain about having a more stable OS and all the official apps, but I still miss many little things that made windows phone great. I miss live tiles, the camera button, mytube, glance screen, double tap to wake, the three UI buttons, UWP, lots of local languages for the OS/apps and many more. Now even though the iPhone has been out there for over 10 years now, I hadn't owned one before. So after a few weeks of use I still struggle with the gestures and find myself tapping on the lower left side to find a back button, which doesn't exist. While going through the settings it's also tough to change every permission an app gets, although it's better than android. I'm using more data doing the same things I was doing on windows phone before. Some apps still use data even after removing their permission. Don't get me started about ads. I never felt windows phone apps to be tracking me like iphone apps now do. Hell even instagram still doesn't have ads on windows, although that's for lack of updates probably. All in all the iPhone 8 is not a phone I'm in love with. I've lost the enthusiasm of the nokia lumia heydays. Hopefully microsoft can reignite it in the near future. So what have been your experiences with switching? What can you recommend me as an iOS newby? Do you have any solution to using Windows Central, except the browser? I have already downloaded most microsoft apps, but can't get cortana. It's probably because of my region, even though it's supported. That reminds me how easy it is to change region to get all the apps you want in windows phone.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
After more than 5 years using windows phone 8, 8.1 (Lumia 820) and windows 10 mobile (lumia 950), I finally switched to iOS for various reasons as many of you have also probably done. I can't really complain about having a more stable OS and all the official apps, but I still miss many little things that made windows phone great. I miss live tiles, the camera button, mytube, glance screen, double tap to wake, the three UI buttons, UWP, lots of local languages for the OS/apps and many more. Now even though the iPhone has been out there for over 10 years now, I hadn't owned one before. So after a few weeks of use I still struggle with the gestures and find myself tapping on the lower left side to find a back button, which doesn't exist. While going through the settings it's also tough to change every permission an app gets, although it's better than android. I'm using more data doing the same things I was doing on windows phone before. Some apps still use data even after removing their permission. Don't get me started about ads. I never felt windows phone apps to be tracking me like iphone apps now do. Hell even instagram still doesn't have ads on windows, although that's for lack of updates probably. All in all the iPhone 8 is not a phone I'm in love with. I've lost the enthusiasm of the nokia lumia heydays. Hopefully microsoft can reignite it in the near future. So what have been your experiences with switching? What can you recommend me as an iOS newby? Do you have any solution to using Windows Central, except the browser? I have already downloaded most microsoft apps, but can't get cortana. It's probably because of my region, even though it's supported. That reminds me how easy it is to change region to get all the apps you want in windows phone.
I would hope Microsoft or even Nokia reads stuff like this. It's honestly hard to see them go out like this. But hey business is business right?

I personally move back and forth between Android and Lumias/Windows phones. What I've found out is how much more I have the phone in my hand in my face with Android than I do with a Windows phone. All the apps, all the connections, all the services bells and whistles allow me to do more and use more. Possibly same for you and also why you use more data... The apps ore capable or have more freedom on iOS or Android.

I miss my Disqus app. Windows phone was the first to implement their api. iOS came next and Android is still lacking which is a first for me seeing "no app for that" .

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
They just aren't enough windows mobile users to move the needle. I kind of think if they did Andromeda and gave it a built in emulation mode that it could run android apps seamlessly, I think they sell a S#*t ton of that device.

JDOlywa

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I just switched to an iPhone XR today. I am going to miss the nice screen on the HP and my live tiles. I played with my spouses Galaxy S9 and did not really like it. Probably because Samsung has duplicate apps for many google services. It was much messier to find and adjust stuff.

I liked WM elegant simplicity. Very easy to use system.

The transition was pretty smooth, but time consuming. I found a way to get all 10,000 texts over to the iPhone by transferring them all to a cheap phone I bought for Mexico. I used a $1.50 app in the Play store and the contacts and message app on the HP, and then transferring them to the iPhone during phone setup with Apple's app.

To me WM interface is much better than iPhone's fairly static screen. I have had an iPod touch for years and it still looks the same. I now have a car with CarPlay via Sync3.

I am not looking forward to the ads, I loved that about WM. I thought it was funny when the salesman was talking about the iPhone's facial recognition login and wireless charging. Ummm kinda have had those for awhile on WM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3