02-03-2015 05:58 PM
46 12
tools
    I am surprised that the BBB or FTC hasn't stepped in and made the manufacturers sell their product with open storage space marked in the ads. Seems like a deceptive practice to me.
    02-04-2014 01:05 PM
    I am surprised that the BBB or FTC hasn't stepped in and made the manufacturers sell their product with open storage space marked in the ads. Seems like a deceptive practice to me.
    Its nothing new and been like for years for ever single type of computer system ever. I mean I understand your point but its not like they saying 32 GB free memory. It does come on board with described memory. And although I want to agree with you unless their store bought, having a built computer will vary considerably with preinstalled software and configurations. And even then OEM would have more hassle getting it right for specialty store products. It is what it is.
    Saeed Mashti likes this.
    02-04-2014 01:10 PM
    Microsoft tablets are in third place in tablet sales, and i mean a distant third place. Ipad and android are crossing the finish line while MS is still going into turn one. The screeen sizes are close, as are battery life, graphics performance and just about everything else. One of the glaring exceptions is storage. Another is apps. When they finally get apps up to speed their is no place to put them. In order to be the best you have to beat the best or at least be on par.
    02-04-2014 01:17 PM
    The absolute main benefit from Windows 8 tablet is its not app dependent. And last I checked .exe and x86 can still loaded and saved off external memory. http://m.cio.com/article/745737/Can_...ows_8_Tablets_ so we can keep talking about low storage for budget people. Hell the people buying 16gb ipads as you wanted to point out or 16gb nexus, which I have, are not complaining about the storage so why would someone who has 16gb free memory would for Windows. Its obvious these product are not market to high end storage users. How many people bought the DVP8 32gb? Of course Windows would be in distant third when W8 barely became existent in 2013. They have 3-4 year jump on them.
    02-04-2014 01:40 PM
    I have to agree, the manufacturers should not sell a device as a 16 or 32 gb model. They should be sold as simply having "x" amount of free space out of the box.
    It is a cool idea...perhaps an asterisk with the true amount of space out of the box. However, when you know ahead of time what you're getting into it definitely comes down to personal preferences and what you want to do with the device. I have a 32GB Venue 8 Pro which is fantastic for using around the house. I've removed anything unnecessary, added a 32GB SD, and much of my digital life is stored on a NAS anyways.
    02-04-2014 01:42 PM
    The absolute main benefit from Windows 8 tablet is its not app dependent. And last I checked .exe and x86 can still loaded and saved off external memory. Can Microsoft Turn Around Its Fortunes With Windows 8 Tablets? - CIO.com so we can keep talking about low storage for budget people. Hell the people buying 16gb ipads as you wanted to point out or 16gb nexus, which I have, are not complaining about the storage so why would someone who has 16gb free memory would for Windows. Its obvious these product are not market to high end storage users. How many people bought the DVP8 32gb? Of course Windows would be in distant third when W8 barely became existent in 2013. They have 3-4 year jump on them.
    As the title of the thread says, it only has 6 gigs of storage free, not 16. Apple and any mainstream android tablet have double this amount. Eliminate the 32 gb model and then this argument goes away.
    02-04-2014 01:52 PM
    And as I said and other have said is that there is bloat that can be removed. My 2520 had bloat. Removed. Cleared 5 GB.

The slate by Lenovo comes with various offerings and a set of preloaded user guides. Along with this, the device also holds the Lenovo App Shop, which seems to offer a better experience to users with full desktop computer. Lenovos app marketplace includes e-books, Contact Finder, Evernote, My first weighing exercises, Subway Surfers, WritePad, Fruit Ninja, Tavel Genius and many other entertainment and utility apps.
    02-04-2014 02:02 PM
    As the title of the thread says, it only has 6 gigs of storage free, not 16. Apple and any mainstream android tablet have double this amount. Eliminate the 32 gb model and then this argument goes away.
    The difference is this is a full Windows desktop OS, not a mobile OS like iOS/Android.
    cckgz4 and MERCDROID like this.
    02-04-2014 02:11 PM
    The difference is this is a full Windows desktop OS, not a mobile OS like iOS/Android.
    Just asking a question, a full windows desktop operating system should therefore have a much larger available free storage. I know of zero laptops or desktops that have 6 gigs of free space to function with. It can't be both sides of the argument. Yes space can be increased by removing bloatware but really, should you have to? I just bought a 4 door car but i can't use the backseat until the back doors are fixed. It should be solid out of the box or the average consumer buys it, sees it has minimal free space, and returns it. The salesperson selling it isn't going to tell him\her to remove the bloatware. Or worse yet they don't check storage and a couple months later they're maxed out and don't know why.
    02-04-2014 02:47 PM
    Just asking a question, a full windows desktop operating system should therefore have a much larger available free storage. I know of zero laptops or desktops that have 6 gigs of free space to function with. It can't be both sides of the argument. Yes space can be increased by removing bloatware but really, should you have to? I just bought a 4 door car but i can't use the backseat until the back doors are fixed. It should be solid out of the box or the average consumer buys it, sees it has minimal free space, and returns it. The salesperson selling it isn't going to tell him\her to remove the bloatware. Or worse yet they don't check storage and a couple months later they're maxed out and don't know why.
    That's Lenovo's fault for selling something with such little free space. If this product doesn't sell or gets returned, Lenovo will have to produce something else with greater storage space. Consumers will vote with their wallets, especially since there are other Win8.1 x86 tablets with more storage space.
    02-04-2014 02:53 PM
    Saw one of these at Best Buy.....there is NO WAY I would get one of these things with only 6.25GB free. Lenovo should be ashamed for putting one of these out with so little free space out of the box.
    So you looked at a display unit? I wouldn't say that's representative of the ones sealed in boxes.
    02-04-2014 02:59 PM
    The Windows folder on my 8.1 Pro takes nearly 18 GB ... with all stuff you get out of the box make it 20, so that leaves you with 10ish GB of free space. That's not much, but 6.25 is even worse.
    So, I wouldn't suggest people buying full windows devices with 32 GB. Make it atleast 64.
    aitt likes this.
    02-04-2014 03:04 PM
    your analogy is wrong. The doors work for the back seat. If you want more leg you move the front seats up giving less to the driver, or buy a bigger car... The same is with the Miix. It works out the box. If you want more space you move stuff, or get a 64gb Win8.
    02-04-2014 03:22 PM
    it support SD cards and SD cards might run you under $15 for 16GB.

still want to know how the thing runs compared to the other hybrid bargain tablet T100
    02-04-2014 03:29 PM
    Personally, I'm waiting for the Thinkpad 8 to be shipped. I bought the 64GB version with no thoughts of needing the 128 nor wanting to pay the extra $140 bucks for it or whatever the price is. Expandable 64gb SD card will suffice. I haven't even used all my 32, I mean 17 on my 2520 and still got 6 GB before needing a card.
    02-04-2014 03:36 PM
    I know this thread is talking about a different product but for what it's worth the Venue didn't really have any bloatware installed, aside from a few Dell branded apps. I'm not positive but I think I started with around 10 GB of available storage, including a multi-gig recovery partition.
    02-04-2014 03:44 PM
    Take office off and use the online version provided you have office 365. There is plenty of room to run what you need. If its that bad leave a PC on at home and remote in from the tablet to do the work and transfer the file. There are many ways around the storage issue. You can run software from a WiFi hard drive if you need to. All you do is load it and point to the WiFi drive to install.
    or do what I did, and install office on the SD card.
    02-04-2014 08:13 PM
    Ok i think i have it figured out. If i delete a bunch of stuff, buy an sd card, shift a bunch of stuff onto it, get a special cable for jump drive, buy a jump drive, load stuff on the jump drive, move a bunch of stuff to web storage, make sure i always have wifi, etc, etc a 32 gb windows tablet should have plenty of storage for me. Sounds like a great user experience out of the box and i would be happy to recommend it to my my friends and family.
    02-05-2014 01:32 AM
    Sounds about right
    02-05-2014 06:28 AM
    Ok i think i have it figured out. If i delete a bunch of stuff, buy an sd card, shift a bunch of stuff onto it, get a special cable for jump drive, buy a jump drive, load stuff on the jump drive, move a bunch of stuff to web storage, make sure i always have wifi, etc, etc a 32 gb windows tablet should have plenty of storage for me. Sounds like a great user experience out of the box and i would be happy to recommend it to my my friends and family.
    some of that is not necessary, just get yourself a 64 gig SD card at the fastest speed you can, install all x86 programs to that, you can remap your documents, movies, pictures etc. to the SD card and your good to go. I started out with 14 gigs free, I have a crap ton of apps installed, and a few x86 programs installed and keep around 6-7 gigs free on the main drive, and 30+ on the SD card. the app store apps are much smaller than x86 programs.
    the OTG connector is a nice thing to have, but not required, I have not used mine more than a couple times. There is talk that within the next few updates to windows that it might allow installing apps to the SD card as well. We will see.
    02-05-2014 09:56 AM
    6 GB REMAINING after starting out with 32 GB is NOT HALF,,,, There is no justification for putting the recovery section in badly used and unadvertised resulting usage in the main drive; especially when the right thing to do was to put the recovery disk on an external usb to come along with it at time of sale. HALF ? , yes, I would understand your misguided reply if you had left my unit with 16 GB. Unit is being returned and replaced with 64 GB main drive and external sd 64 GB. Further, it should have been provided an OTG connector to make an everyday USB needed drive useful.
    02-03-2015 05:58 PM
46 12