6.25GB free on 32Gb Miix 2

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Massive joke to offer 6gb of storage on a 32gb tablet. I personally think that if i buy a 32gb tablet i should get all 32gb to use. The OS should not be included in the initial storage indicator so in a 32 gb device the total storage is around 40gb.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Massive joke to offer 6gb of storage on a 32gb tablet. I personally think that if i buy a 32gb tablet i should get all 32gb to use. The OS should not be included in the initial storage indicator so in a 32 gb device the total storage is around 40gb.

then you should never own any device. Ever.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Umm storage is storage. If windows tablets come with less than half the storage of the competition it will be a huge hindrance in the sales of these devices. Everyone complains about horrible reviews etc for WM. This type of oversight just adds fuel to the fire. Might as well not even offer a 32 gb model.

So where are the complaints at? This is becoming so redundant. Not everyone need 1000000 GB of memory. People buy SD and move on with their lives. For people who need that much memory buy one with more storage. It gets no simpler than that. Windows do not come with half of storage, the 32gb does. There's a difference than the way you present your post. To each their own though. I find myself on repeat.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
and you'd all be griping about the "functionality" of a windows tablet if it didn't come with most of the things preinstalled

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I am surprised that the BBB or FTC hasn't stepped in and made the manufacturers sell their product with open storage space marked in the ads. Seems like a deceptive practice to me.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am surprised that the BBB or FTC hasn't stepped in and made the manufacturers sell their product with open storage space marked in the ads. Seems like a deceptive practice to me.

Its nothing new and been like for years for ever single type of computer system ever. I mean I understand your point but its not like they saying 32 GB free memory. It does come on board with described memory. And although I want to agree with you unless their store bought, having a built computer will vary considerably with preinstalled software and configurations. And even then OEM would have more hassle getting it right for specialty store products. It is what it is.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft tablets are in third place in tablet sales, and i mean a distant third place. Ipad and android are crossing the finish line while MS is still going into turn one. The screeen sizes are close, as are battery life, graphics performance and just about everything else. One of the glaring exceptions is storage. Another is apps. When they finally get apps up to speed their is no place to put them. In order to be the best you have to beat the best or at least be on par.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The absolute main benefit from Windows 8 tablet is its not app dependent. And last I checked .exe and x86 can still loaded and saved off external memory. http://m.cio.com/article/745737/Can_Microsoft_Turn_Around_Its_Fortunes_With_Windows_8_Tablets_ so we can keep talking about low storage for budget people. Hell the people buying 16gb ipads as you wanted to point out or 16gb nexus, which I have, are not complaining about the storage so why would someone who has 16gb free memory would for Windows. Its obvious these product are not market to high end storage users. How many people bought the DVP8 32gb? Of course Windows would be in distant third when W8 barely became existent in 2013. They have 3-4 year jump on them.

jeff605

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree, the manufacturers should not sell a device as a 16 or 32 gb model. They should be sold as simply having "x" amount of free space out of the box.

It is a cool idea...perhaps an asterisk with the true amount of space out of the box. However, when you know ahead of time what you're getting into it definitely comes down to personal preferences and what you want to do with the device. I have a 32GB Venue 8 Pro which is fantastic for using around the house. I've removed anything unnecessary, added a 32GB SD, and much of my digital life is stored on a NAS anyways.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The absolute main benefit from Windows 8 tablet is its not app dependent. And last I checked .exe and x86 can still loaded and saved off external memory. Can Microsoft Turn Around Its Fortunes With Windows 8 Tablets? - CIO.com so we can keep talking about low storage for budget people. Hell the people buying 16gb ipads as you wanted to point out or 16gb nexus, which I have, are not complaining about the storage so why would someone who has 16gb free memory would for Windows. Its obvious these product are not market to high end storage users. How many people bought the DVP8 32gb? Of course Windows would be in distant third when W8 barely became existent in 2013. They have 3-4 year jump on them.

As the title of the thread says, it only has 6 gigs of storage free, not 16. Apple and any mainstream android tablet have double this amount. Eliminate the 32 gb model and then this argument goes away.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
And as I said and other have said is that there is bloat that can be removed. My 2520 had bloat. Removed. Cleared 5 GB.

The slate by Lenovo comes with various offerings and a set of preloaded user guides. Along with this, the device also holds the Lenovo App Shop, which seems to offer a better experience to users with full desktop computer. Lenovo?s app marketplace includes e-books, Contact Finder, Evernote, My first weighing exercises, Subway Surfers, WritePad, Fruit Ninja, Tavel Genius and many other entertainment and utility apps.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
As the title of the thread says, it only has 6 gigs of storage free, not 16. Apple and any mainstream android tablet have double this amount. Eliminate the 32 gb model and then this argument goes away.
The difference is this is a full Windows desktop OS, not a mobile OS like iOS/Android.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The difference is this is a full Windows desktop OS, not a mobile OS like iOS/Android.

Just asking a question, a full windows desktop operating system should therefore have a much larger available free storage. I know of zero laptops or desktops that have 6 gigs of free space to function with. It can't be both sides of the argument. Yes space can be increased by removing bloatware but really, should you have to? I just bought a 4 door car but i can't use the backseat until the back doors are fixed. It should be solid out of the box or the average consumer buys it, sees it has minimal free space, and returns it. The salesperson selling it isn't going to tell him\her to remove the bloatware. Or worse yet they don't check storage and a couple months later they're maxed out and don't know why.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just asking a question, a full windows desktop operating system should therefore have a much larger available free storage. I know of zero laptops or desktops that have 6 gigs of free space to function with. It can't be both sides of the argument. Yes space can be increased by removing bloatware but really, should you have to? I just bought a 4 door car but i can't use the backseat until the back doors are fixed. It should be solid out of the box or the average consumer buys it, sees it has minimal free space, and returns it. The salesperson selling it isn't going to tell him\her to remove the bloatware. Or worse yet they don't check storage and a couple months later they're maxed out and don't know why.
That's Lenovo's fault for selling something with such little free space. If this product doesn't sell or gets returned, Lenovo will have to produce something else with greater storage space. Consumers will vote with their wallets, especially since there are other Win8.1 x86 tablets with more storage space.

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Saw one of these at Best Buy.....there is NO WAY I would get one of these things with only 6.25GB free. Lenovo should be ashamed for putting one of these out with so little free space out of the box.

So you looked at a display unit? I wouldn't say that's representative of the ones sealed in boxes.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The Windows folder on my 8.1 Pro takes nearly 18 GB ... with all stuff you get out of the box make it 20, so that leaves you with 10ish GB of free space. That's not much, but 6.25 is even worse.
So, I wouldn't suggest people buying full windows devices with 32 GB. Make it atleast 64.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

your analogy is wrong. The doors work for the back seat. If you want more leg you move the front seats up giving less to the driver, or buy a bigger car... The same is with the Miix. It works out the box. If you want more space you move stuff, or get a 64gb Win8.

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
it support SD cards and SD cards might run you under $15 for 16GB.

still want to know how the thing runs compared to the other hybrid bargain tablet T100

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm waiting for the Thinkpad 8 to be shipped. I bought the 64GB version with no thoughts of needing the 128 nor wanting to pay the extra $140 bucks for it or whatever the price is. Expandable 64gb SD card will suffice. I haven't even used all my 32, I mean 17 on my 2520 and still got 6 GB before needing a card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre