Got the Yoga Book yesterday, really nice but...

bmad7136

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Shame about the BIOS update messing things up. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Couple of questions

1) Does the virtual keyboard support swype input?
2) Can you charge the device and use a USB peripheral at the same time (via some kind of adapter)?
3) If you have the virtual keyboard on and are using the pen to write directly on the screen, does the device reject accidental touches of the keyboard?

1. No. Really annoying actually but Windows, as far as I can see, does not support swype. Or swift key or anything similar. I wish Lenovo would implement it.

2. Not sure. I had a USB hootoo adapter for my galaxy tab pro s and that allowed charging while using other USB devices. Alas the book isn't USB c so I can't test that.

3. Not sure about this and I can't test it as the whole keyboard, pen thing is screwed up with the bios issue.

Tarwinia

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
You can write pretty small. I just gave it a go and was actually amazed how small I could write. The pen tip is not the thinnest in the world but it is still quite fine. Changing tips could be easier tbh. I agree they should have made a dual tip pen.

Bad news now folks. The latest bios update has pretty much screwed mine up. The halo keyboard now won't turn off so the pen is pretty useless now. You must shut the system down before closing the lid. Not good. Others are experiencing similar issues. It is such a lovely machine but clearly still being beta tested. By us!! I cannot reset it either for some unknown reason so must wait for Lenovo to push a good update out. Sigh

That sucks. I hope it gets fixed quickly. One of my questions will have to wait till it gets fixed then:wink:
Here's a question you might be able to answer (depending on how much the boss update affected you). Can you control the brightness of free halo keyboard (can it change automatically?) How legible is the keyboard in (bright) sunlight/distracting in a dark room? It's a bit amusing that we now have to worry about sunlight legibility of both the screen AND the keyboard (how good I'd the brightness control of the screen by the way? ).

P.s. Thanks for all the checking you've been doing on our behalf.

Last edited:

StarLord0890

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Nice ! I want to get my hands on this device so bad I have been having dreams lol. First thing imma do when I get back to India 🤘🏽✌🏽

Sent from mTalk

bmad7136

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
That sucks. I hope it gets fixed quickly. One of my questions will have to wait till it gets fixed then:wink:
Here's a question you might be able to answer (depending on how much the boss update affected you). Can you control the brightness of free halo keyboard (can it change automatically?) How legible is the keyboard in (bright) sunlight/distracting in a dark room? It's a bit amusing that we now have to worry about sunlight legibility of both the screen AND the keyboard (how good I'd the brightness control of the screen by the way? ).

P.s. Thanks for all the checking you've been doing on our behalf.

Hi. Brightness is automatic and you can adjust it manually via the halo. I live in the UK so bright sunshine could take some time though the cloud is breaking as I type! It does go very bright though so I think it'll be fine. You can adjust the brightness of the keyboard to from the control panel. The halo brightness is not automatic

OK so I just tested it in bright(ish) sunlight. The screen is absolutely fine . The keyboard on full brightness is less impressive though you can just about make out the keys.

DrWMJ

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies to our questions! Hope the BIOS issue is resolved quickly.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Tarwinia

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi. Brightness is automatic and you can adjust it manually via the halo. I live in the UK so bright sunshine could take some time though the cloud is breaking as I type! It does go very bright though so I think it'll be fine. You can adjust the brightness of the keyboard to from the control panel. The halo brightness is not automatic

OK so I just tested it in bright(ish) sunlight. The screen is absolutely fine . The keyboard on full brightness is less impressive though you can just about make out the keys.
Thanks. I'm guessing this means the keyboard will be invisible (ergo unusable) in bright Mexican sunlight but at least there are few times I'd need that (but I like to know the limits of any future purchase to avoid buyer's remorse).

Give us a shout when the current issues are fixed and you can use the create pad again =)

Frans van Bellen

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
You can write pretty small. I just gave it a go and was actually amazed how small I could write. The pen tip is not the thinnest in the world but it is still quite fine. Changing tips could be easier tbh. I agree they should have made a dual tip pen.

Bad news now folks. The latest bios update has pretty much screwed mine up. The halo keyboard now won't turn off so the pen is pretty useless now. You must shut the system down before closing the lid. Not good. Others are experiencing similar issues. It is such a lovely machine but clearly still being beta tested. By us!! I cannot reset it either for some unknown reason so must wait for Lenovo to push a good update out. Sigh
You might already have tried this, but the people at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Window...-properly-after-BIOS-update/m-p/3442006#M6138 have a couple of possible fixes for the keyboard issue. I hope this helps.

sombody8

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
OP: For the windows version, can onenote record what your write onto the createpad even when it is minimized? This would be useful for taking notes while looking at a presentation or video on screen or when the screen is folded back.

Character Zero

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

Did you figure out the BIOS issue? Do you still have the sleep issue, mine shuts down when sleeping its really annoying.

jimbobydoo

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Looking to get one of these mainly for note taking in lectures. I study physics so in my typed notes I need to include equations which are much easier to write by hand. Is it easy to switch between typing and drawing on the pad with the pen in the same document? Also how well would visual studio run on this device? Thanks

Character Zero

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Looking to get one of these mainly for note taking in lectures. I study physics so in my typed notes I need to include equations which are much easier to write by hand. Is it easy to switch between typing and drawing on the pad with the pen in the same document? Also how well would visual studio run on this device? Thanks

What would you use to take notes, I will try it out for you later today.

Not sure about Visual Studio, the CPU is decent and there is 4GB of RAM but visual studio has some overhead. I did load the Windows Subsystem for Linux and it works well (of course its just command line).

jimbobydoo

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Probably one note. This would be my first windows device but previously I used notes plus on the ipad and LectureNotes on my android device. Although I would be open to using a different app if it would suit my needs better.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've tried paper input with OneNote and it worked wonderfully. And there's a button on the Halo keyboard that makes switching between modes easy.

Character Zero

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Probably one note. This would be my first windows device but previously I used notes plus on the ipad and LectureNotes on my android device. Although I would be open to using a different app if it would suit my needs better.

Played around with it a little. In one note you can type some things, then hit the button the keyboard and draw below that, then hit the button to go back to keys and tap on the screen and type again. Seems pretty fluid. It just create text boxes so it might not line up perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss