Optimization and updates on Yoga Book

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a secondary Windows 10 device, one that isn't necessarily powerful but has small footprint and long battery life.

I'm smitten by the Yoga Book design, but I have hesitation on buying another 2 in 1. My last 2 in 1, Acer Switch Alpha 12 had log in issue that needs a very stupid way to resolve it, by refreshing the whole device, that took a good 4-5 hours, not including downloading the latest updates all over again. Love the device when it worked, but sold it in less than a month (live in SE Asia, no such thing as return policy).

So here's quick questions about the device.

1. Can the Halo keyboards functionality be updated? Right now the Halo keyboard settings is only tone, vibration and brightness. Will or can Lenovo add other functionality down the road? How does Lenovo fare on its product update?
  2. Is 4GB RAM on this device can be considered as "future proof"? I have HP Stream 8 which I have the privilege to get the Windows 10 update. Yet... It's now a slightly glamorous paper weight due to doing even the basic task of browsing file on file explorer bog the system down. Just worried that in 2-3 years of ownership, the Yoga Book will turn to another paper weight.
  3. What material the screen and the halo keyboard made of? Does screen protector a must use? And which one is better, tempered glass or ordinary plastic film?

I'm not looking for a fast performer, as long it can run Win32 apps (running funky statistics applications), I'm good. I'm currently using MacBook Air, which does its job well but having a bit of quirk with OneDrive and can't run Win32 apps (no, not going to do Boot Camp). Also, due to a most likely job change, I'm looking for smaller device.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So here's quick questions about the device.

Can the Halo keyboards functionality be updated? Right now the Halo keyboard settings is only tone, vibration and brightness. Will or can Lenovo add other functionality down the road? How does Lenovo fare on its product update?

While Lenovo has updated the drivers on the keyboard since release. Off hand, I can't remember what the update does, nonetheless, basic functionality remains the same. You can check the available updates at this link. (change the operating system to Windows)

With the device being well over a year old, the chances of new features are slim. That said, the current software is stable and runs well.

Is 4GB RAM on this device can be considered as "future proof"? I have HP Stream 8 which I have the privilege to get the Windows 10 update. Yet... It's now a slightly glamorous paper weight due to doing even the basic task of browsing file on file explorer bog the system down. Just worried that in 2-3 years of ownership, the Yoga Book will turn to another paper weight.

IMO, depending on your workload, 4GB is fine. I mostly used my Yoga Book for Office, web browsing, and watching videos. The processor is by no means a powerhouse but it is noticeable better than the previous generation of Atom chips. Of course, I'm the type of person that probably never uses any more than 5-7 browser tabs at a time and does very light photo editing.

What material the screen and the halo keyboard made of? Does screen protector a must use? And which one is better, tempered glass or ordinary plastic film?

I do have a tiny scratch on my screen (booo). I'm not sure how it got there but I suspect I accidentally scraped it across the coat zipper. Personally, I don't think it requires a screen protector but that's more of a personal choice depending on your usage.

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm aware of all the Yoga Book shortcoming, so I'm ready to take it all in. About performance, I've used HP DV2 with no issue, except for loose trackpad. Yet performance seems to be the one thing that people warned me about the Yoga Book. A friend of mine told me to wait since the Yoga Book is a year old, a replacement is probably around the corner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon