Having problems with Landscape/Portrait switching

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi I'm new here but I have a problem and I can't find any help.

I got my new Windows Phone last Saturday and some far I have being enjoying it a lot, here's the problem.

Sometimes when I open messages/contacts/email etc.. it's on landscape mode even though I'm holding my phone vertically and it stays that way for a long time until switching normally. I took it to my carrier and they told me I need to calibrate it but the couldn't find how. ( This is my first smartphone so I just learning how to use it.)

Any tips. ( Pardon my English, I'm EFL).

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the WPCentral sorry you are having this issue can you tell me what phone you have it might help us to answer your question.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'm using an LG Optimus 7. I heard you can calibrate it by holding the phone in portrait mode and doing an figure 8 circle. I'll try it and so far no problems but it seems more like luck.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
What as thinking was is there any way that your phone might be turning on in the case? The reason I ask is I have an HTC Arrive some cases with strong magnets will cause it to turn on in the case if its a horizontal case the phone comes on goes in to landscape then turns off again so when I take it out and turn it on I have to wait for it to switch back to portrait. I think this is more of a device question than a WP7 issue so I am going to move this thread over to that forum maybe others with your device might have more insight.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I do have an horizontal case with a magnet. And when I take my phone out is on landscape. How did you fix your problem? Thanks a lot for the help, since those phones are new is very hard to find people with knowledge about them.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Well you could change cases but before you get rid of that case try not using that case for a few days and see if the problem goes away. My HTC Arrive uses a magnet setup as a switch so it knows when the keyboard has been opened so I don't think its the same with the LG. Try carrying your phone a different way for a couple of days and see what happened. Post back and let us know how it goes.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I fixed the problem.

I try using the phone without the cover but that didn't worked. Then I noticed you need to hold the phone slightly towards you in order to activate the portrait mode. So know I just do a little flick and it transfer smoothly. I love my phone even more now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss