My thoughts on the LG Quantum

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
So after buying it last week, and having had it at my apartment since Tuesday, I finally activated my LG Quantum today.

I've never reviewed anything, so basically whatever questions you have about the phone let me know and I'll be more than happy to answer them.

But basically, so far, I love it. It feels durable, the keyboard is AMAZING (then again, I'm coming from a Samsung Jack, so any slide out QWERTY is better than that I suppose). The OS is fast, efficient and easy to use - as a long time Windows user, it's rather surprising it works so well.

Even Internet Explorer mobile works great - I'm shocked and VERY happy.

I was given a request earlier to test out the panorama software for the Quantum. the app doesn't come native on the phone, so once I download it, I'll try it out and let you know.

I have downloaded ilomilo for Xbox - which you get for free if you're on AT&T and go to Windows Phone - Wireless from AT&T - and I've played the first two levels. Two thoughts: 1.) I'm 23 and thus rather tech-savy for a human, but the fact that my phone has game graphics and gameplay that are AS GOOD AS N64, IF NOT BETTER, amazes even me 2.) beating the first puzzle, and hearing the Xbox Achievement sound coming from my PHONE gave me such a nerd-high I couldn't move for a few seconds. Just awesome.

I'm still frustrated that the transition from an old phone to the next phone is so time-consuming and incomplete (my texts are still on my old phone) but that isn't the Quantum's fault. Hopefully, Windows is quickly working on a MyPhone-type cloud program that will make this really easy from now on. However, it would appear that if you save certain text messages to your SIM, they import ALONG WITH THE CONTACTS. This isn't a great solution, since there isn't much room on the sim card, ESPECIALLY because the stupid threaded view on WinMo 6.x doesn't allow for a "select all" option, so you have to pick texts one at a time...but it's something....

My own questions are regarding maintenance - this is my first touch screen, so what do you people use to clean yours? What about scratches on the metal back - could I use car wax to get rid of them...? something else...?

These are just my initial thoughts - I'm still playing with the phone right now and will post more, but again please feel free to ask me questions about this phone, windows 7 on the phone, or having this phone on at&t, and I'll do my best to answer them!

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Two additions: The 10-free apps from LG, and more thoughts on the phone itself:

LG APPS - You may have heard that LG has made an agreement with Microsoft to offer 10 free apps at their own store. It's true, and all 10 are available in both the LG section and in the main marketplace - you access both by pressing the marketplace tile.

However, 3 of the 10 apps are ones that I originally thought were coming on the phone (as did most people I think). One of the 10 is the "Play-To" app, which DOES come on the phone, and the other two are "Panorama Shot" and "Scan Search," which I've seen in some reviews but are NOT ON THE PHONE OUT OF THE BOX. It's not a big deal because it's easy to download and install apps, but LG's facebook page has 3 other apps that aren't available in the marketplace - "Caddy Buddy," "Fortune Coins," and "Voice to Text" (that last one being unavailable is the only real disappointment). Tool Box is great because it has a level, a flashlight, and a few other apps all in one, and ScanSearch and Panorama Shot seem to work great. (It's dark, so I can't take a good pic - I'll do that tomorrow.)

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS - I'm still amazed by the power of the phone and the quickness of the OS. Considering the Surround is a gimmick phone, and that the Focus is having major issues with that storage card problem, I wouldn't be surprised if this phone comes out being the surprise favorite (at least for the 3 on AT&T).

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
thanks for posting your impressions. I was also super impressed with this phone. I just won a contest at work that gave me another windows phone....too bad its the surround which i already have! oh well ill probably trade it for the quantum

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
So far, the only quibble I have with the hardware of the phone is EXTREMELY MINOR - the space bar on the keyboard is one big button with two buttons underneath, and if you press it in the middle it feels weird (like you broke it) and may type 2 spaces. Perhaps this is what other slider keyboards are like, and regardless this is a MINOR detail, and shouldn't detract anyone from buying it - the keyboard is still amazing to use, and I'd rather have my space bar like this instead of a smaller button.

MrAndrewAu

Jan 16, 2011
www.Ztitch.com
Last month, my Quantum has experienced automatic resetting. The frequency of the problem has reduced over time though. I'm not sure what happened.

Other than that, the phone is great and the keyboard is butter smooth, much better than the Nokia N97 I had before.

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the post. I got an LG Quantum here in Canada (with Bell), and I think it's a great phone.

I thought the shift key (on the physical keyboard) was a weird placement by LG. I looked at a lot of keyboard phones before getting this one, and I couldn't see where they (LG) was going with arrangement with the shift key. All I could think of is that they were trying to create more space.

I think the software on the phone will only get better with time. I'm looking forward to it. :cool:

frankied101

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I love my quantum too its an amazing and the keyboard..... Best I used the UI is smooth wp7 kicks ***

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3