Questions for Quantum owners

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I am very seriously considering getting the Quantum, and I just wanted to ask some owners if you have had any issues with the display becoming unresponsive. The AT&T rep told me that he had heard of some being returned for this reason.

I also am curious if any of you know how much RAM the Quantum has. I've heard that it has 256 mb, which I believe would be less than the Focus and Surround I think, but when I tried the 3 out, the Quantum loaded games much faster than the Focus by far and seemed just as responsive.

I also love the solid feel of the LG, and white screens seemed much brighter on it than on the Focus. Coming from a BB, the physical keyboard would probably ease the transition.

Also, how many hours of heavy use are you all getting out of a single charge?

Thanks for your help!

Toby

DavidB

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I think it has 256 mb. No speed issue with mine. The screen is great as well.

Keyboard is the reason I got it, works great. Battery lasts a full day at work with moderate use.

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks David. I checked Phonearena.com and they had the Quantum listed as having 512mb of ram, which didn't match up with pdadb.net, so I'm not sure which is accurate.

I'll have to decide between the 3 AT&T options in a couple of weeks. I noticed that the HTC Surround seemed to have a Notification LED, which surprised me since the other two didn't. But the battery life of the Surround is just too short from what I've heard. The Focus is said to have the best battery life, and it's screen is beautiful, plus the extra .5 inch in size would be nice, and the fact that it is Gorilla glass doesn't hurt, but the Micro SD slot flakiness and the fear of a bricked phone when upgrading worry me too much at this time. Not to mention AT&T is charging $100 for the Focus and I'd feel the need to slap in a $30-60 memory card as well whereas the Quantum and Surround come with 16GB of memory to begin with and they are both free from AT&T at this time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently went through this same dilemma when my Focus started to reset. I love my Focus and the 4 inch screen is perfect, but this whole NoDo fiasco got me worried. I decided to take a second look at ATT's other WP7 offerings. I like the Surround but it's hard to justify paying an extra $100 bucks for a sub-par speaker I'll never use. (I pay full price to avoid contracts) And I really love the voice-to-text app on the Quantum, but it's lacking in every other feature, especially screen size. In the end I decided to stick with my Focus sans expandable microSD card. The screen is beautiful, the camera is one of the best you'll find on WP7, and the case is very slick and professional looking.

Kaybrina

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
great phone

I worked in the cell phone industry for over 8 years, needless to say have owned just about every phone at one point or another. I have to say the Quantum is the best phone I have had. I get an entire day out of the phone without a problem the keyboard is great the camera is good, the build is solid. I haven't thought once about getting another phone. I came from android and went rounds dealing with samsungs and will never own another samsung. The current mess they are dealing with upgrading the phone just justifies my thoughts.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I can pretty much agree with everything that has been said thus far about the Quantum. My only quibble with it is the function/shift keys on the keyboard. They are a tad awkward at first but I'm starting to get used to them.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Love my Quatum! The screen is so responsive that everyone who plays with it comments on it.

The shift and function keys were a little akward at first, especially typing in numbers from the slide out keyboard. Func-number, func-number, func-number.... Tedious. Then I discovered that if I held any key down for a second, I got the function item instead of the letter! That has simplified typing considerable (now it is nuuuuuuumber, nuuuuuuumber, nuuuuuuumber).

I should but that in the tips and tricks post!

Battery life is pretty good. I can watch a 2 hour movie all the way through even at the end of a light use day. On heavy use days (updating stats all day from a wrestling tournament) I would want to charge it in the afternoon for the bus ride home.

Last edited:

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I am very seriously considering getting the Quantum, and I just wanted to ask some owners if you have had any issues with the display becoming unresponsive. The AT&T rep told me that he had heard of some being returned for this reason.

I also am curious if any of you know how much RAM the Quantum has. I've heard that it has 256 mb, which I believe would be less than the Focus and Surround I think, but when I tried the 3 out, the Quantum loaded games much faster than the Focus by far and seemed just as responsive.

I also love the solid feel of the LG, and white screens seemed much brighter on it than on the Focus. Coming from a BB, the physical keyboard would probably ease the transition.

Also, how many hours of heavy use are you all getting out of a single charge?

Thanks for your help!

Toby

I've had my Quantum almost a week now. So far I have not had any issues with the screen becoming unresponsive. It has been very smooth so far.

As far as RAM and ROM, according the the box it came in, both are 512MB. I have to believe that until proven otherwise. It's not really the point though. You said it best that it's just as smooth or smoother that the Focus. Really, at this point, Windows Phones are faster than the current benchmark, the Atrix, which I think is a gimmick phone anyways. Just look up youtube videos comparing the two as far as speed.

I recently had to endure a couple of months with the BB Bold. Not a horrible device, I just wasn't thrilled about the keyboard. The Quantum's blows it out of the water. If you want an even better keyboard, consider switching to Sprint for the Arrive.

So far, I have only been able to use my Quantum via WiFi, so it's tough to comment on the power usage. It's a long story, but it has to do with the debacle that is Alltel's transition to AT&T in my market. I'll be able to access AT&T's network with my Quantum at the end of April. So far it seems to be easily lasting a full day of heavy screwing around on it via WiFi.

If you haven't already made your decision, I hope this helps!

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I actually am typing this response from my Quantum :) Just used the smiley button there, haha. I really like the phone so far and I really hope AT&T finishes their NoDo testing soon. I got a rubberized hard case and a screen protector first thing too...and they both fit the phone well.

Thanks for the response though :-D

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Tobyus, do you use the native web browser for viewing WPCentral Forums? If so, have you heard of the app Board Express? It works well, I think, but I'm still getting used to it. Check it out!

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am using the browser. I keep hearing about board express. I think I saw it in the marketplace, but the free version said it didn't support posting.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a couple of days, no screen issues yet. Every now and then there's a bit of lag between screens or apps, though. Maybe that's what some are experiencing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo