To curve or not to curve?

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I will first say how happy it makes me to simply have a sideforum for the Lumia 1030!

So when Nokia released the Lumia Icon, It was a rather drastic change in design ethic from the curved, solid cases of most every other model; this change had been met with much support, as well as opposition. Now that some renders and tentative "leaks" are out, I wonder both what Microsoft will do with the high end Lumia Range, and also what we as users want in general.

1030_Fan_render_1.JPG
Microsoft-Lumia-1030-concept-3.jpg

Answering the question of what Microsoft will do, my first thought leans towards original Lumia design. The Icon (930) blends into the competition a little too well in a time when Windows 10 needs to spearhead itself. Then again, a device friendlier to the status quo of design ethics might be more amiable to those who seek to switch; however, The aluminum render we see does create an interesting bridge between these two designs, but certainly leans towards the Icon's utilitarian side and even ditches the colorful backplate. Given the 535, and the value of the image Nokia created, I'm thinking they'll stick with the Curves from here on, but hope they ditch the aluminum. What about y'all?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I will first say how happy it makes me to simply have a sideforum for the Lumia 1030!

So when Nokia released the Lumia Icon, It was a rather drastic change in design ethic from the curved, solid cases of most every other model; this change had been met with much support, as well as opposition. Now that some renders and tentative "leaks" are out, I wonder both what Microsoft will do with the high end Lumia Range, and also what we as users want in general.

View attachment 89828
View attachment 89829

Answering the question of what Microsoft will do, my first thought leans towards original Lumia design. The Icon (930) blends into the competition a little too well in a time when Windows 10 needs to spearhead itself. Then again, a device friendlier to the status quo of design ethics might be more amiable to those who seek to switch; however, The aluminum render we see does create an interesting bridge between these two designs, but certainly leans towards the Icon's utilitarian side and even ditches the colorful backplate. Given the 535, and the value of the image Nokia created, I'm thinking they'll stick with the Curves from here on, but hope they ditch the aluminum. What about y'all?

Lumia 930's design is the best that I consider. I hope the next generation, the back of the phone too is flat, instead of chubby. Out of some advanced Aluminium alloy or Poly-carbonate, whichever material turns out to be much stronger will be preferable

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally a big fan of the Fabula design language. That being said, I hope Microsoft dares to make a new bold design in order to stick out better in a market of 'Same same, but different'.

I can't understand any desire to divert from the polycarbonate chassis though. Polycarbonate is durable, flexible, allows for wireless charging and better signal reception. It also allows for playful colours and last but not least; it doesn't turn painfully cold in cold weathers or awfully hot during heavy processor loads.

Camden Krupala

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
There is no denying the quality of Nokia polycarbonate, but I would really like to see more metal. I've been told numerous times that people thought my 1520 was "cheap" because it was plastic. Letting them hold it for themselves quickly changes their minds, but to the every day passer-byer, windows phones aren't usually associated with build quality. That has been my experience anyways. I would like to see metal with glass essentially draped over the edges (on the left and right). Similar to the 1020, I do love the latest 1030 concept and leaks that have been making their rounds recently. I hope it looks similar when it is officially announced.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
There is no denying the quality of Nokia polycarbonate, but I would really like to see more metal. I've been told numerous times that people thought my 1520 was "cheap" because it was plastic. Letting them hold it for themselves quickly changes their minds, but to the every day passer-byer, windows phones aren't usually associated with build quality. That has been my experience anyways. I would like to see metal with glass essentially draped over the edges (on the left and right). Similar to the 1020, I do love the latest 1030 concept and leaks that have been making their rounds recently. I hope it looks similar when it is officially announced.

I disagree. I'd rather prefer shells on every device, so you can change your color and material anytime. Considering the aluminum would have to be unbendable.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like both, and how they're two different Lumia designs.

I'd prefer something 735'y, which is a bit of both I imagine, but probably falls under curves.

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree entirely. Here in Texas we have scorching summers and hot winters, and naked phones are even less common because of the temperature issues with aluminum. I still don't like the plastic strip on the bottom of the aluminum renders we've seen, but I do notice how similar the ethic is to the Surface Pro 3's top panel; if that is the design, and the final implementation is as well blended as the surface, I will mind it less but seeing the connection there does verify the leak a little bit for me.

Dreaming Silver

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Usually I'd go for edged, but that curved concept just looks so damn cool it got my vote.

I'd also say I have the 920 which is curved and feels pretty good in the hand.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'd love the next flagship to look far closer to the 720 than what most imagine, but I don't think it will.

I'm betting that it'll be a mix of the 630 and 930 - resulting in a Surface-like design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon