Lumia 1020 Successor Camera Module

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Every time specifications related to possible camera flagships are leaked, there are upset voices pointing out the sensor resolution. Assuming the 1020 successor will be anything like the leaked and cancelled McLaren, we can expect a sensor resolution below 41 MP. The sensor resolution is only a small aspect when discussing the output quality of a camera module though, so I wanted to ask everyone:

What specifications do you hope to see in a possible upcoming camera flagship?
Examples of specifications you may want to highlight:
1) Sensor size
- Diagonal comparison:
2) Sensor resolution
- For comparison:
  • Apple iPhone 6: 8 MP (1.5 μm pixels)
    [*]Nokia Lumia 1020: 41 MP (1.12 μm pixels)
    [*]Nokia PureView 808: 41 MP (1.4 μm pixels)
    [*]Panasonic Lumix CM1: 20.9 MP (2.4 μm pixels)
    [*]Sony RX100 MkIII: 20.2 MP (2.4 μm pixels)
    [*]Canon EOS 5D: 23.4 MP (6.22 μm pixels)
3) Optics
- For example: Zeiss lenses, Leica lenses, modular lenses, dual modules or light-field optics.

4) Technical solutions
- For example OIS, Xenon flash, oversampling, optical zooming, exchangeable lenses, 3D imaging, phase detection. Or upcoming technology like InVisage QuantumFilm, CorePhotonics dual-array camera, etc.

I know we all want the Hubble Space Telescope attached to a phone no thicker than a sheet of atoms, but let's try to keep it realistic.
(Funnily enough, the Hubble Space Telescope UVIS CCD is effectively a 44.7 mm? 16 MP sensor. The optics on the other hand are absolutely insane.)

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Exchangeable lenses would be nice, or a camera grip that doesn't break when you remove it that has an option for add on lenses would be more doable. Maybe a larger sensor, with that fancy laser thing that the LG phone has.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'll add my own speculations as well. First of all, I'm doubtful Microsoft will continue the line of imaging flagships - but here's to hoping!

When the release of the 1030 was still thought to be imminent, multiple leaks (including one from Daniel Rubino) pointed out that Nokia was working on a dual-array camera. A dual-array camera setup is also what Apple's upcoming iPhone 6S is rumoured have. What this could mean is for example that two "lower-resolution" sensors can be combined to create a superresolution image, alternatively the two lenses can have different focal lengths, giving optical zoom without the need for a thick zoom lens.

If any of the rumours still hold water, that'd mean a 1020 successor could be one of the first smartphones with genuine optical zoom. If they use two sensors of 1020 proportions, the effective sensor area would be 4/3" - as large as some DSLRs. All this while being in a thinner package than the original 808 or 1020.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's focus seem to be the mainstream audiences with their 940 and 940XL (Compare: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus), which would mean placing a priority on making thinner phones. As such the sensors will need to be scaled down to fit the thin optics.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Stunning quality. I'm considering repurchasing a 1020 just because I loved it so much but I think I may go with the iPhone 6S for the unmatched built in apps such as IMovie and Garage Band and also official Final Fantasy VII port is coming to iOS before the end of the year. I think the 6S would be a great device to use worry free until/if a Lumia 1030 is released. Then I will definitely get that when/if Microsoft pulls the trigger on it.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
iMovie and garage band are not that great. They are very user "unfriendly" I bought my mac for garage band, and it could never do anything with it. I think apple is all marketing. FLUFF. I would stay with MS software.

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
41 megapixel should be kept.
High resolution photos, together with the full potential of oversampling algorithm, make the quantity justified.
What I want is a better diaphragm and the ability to control it. That would help make long distance photos, not just zoom. Take example of a big monument or a panorama.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
iMovie and garage band are not that great. They are very user "unfriendly" I bought my mac for garage band, and it could never do anything with it. I think apple is all marketing. FLUFF. I would stay with MS software.
Not that great? I've used both and thought they were hands down the best you can find at least for free. But that's just my use with it. You can really make some nice quick memories with it and you can make your own music with Garage Band to avoid any copyright issues. I'll have to play around with my 920 and see what's available in the Store because there have been some new video editing apps that I have not tried yet. I do like the automated Storyteller app a lot though.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the camera module from the 1020 is perfect for my needs. If they can offer same performance in a smaller package (read bump) and just improve on the phone's overall speed instead, it would pretty much be perfect. If I HAD to choose an improvement, it would be attachable lenses.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I love my bump. ha ha. Makes the phone unique and a lot of people comment on what it is. After I show them photos from it, they are believers.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
My list for a camera-centric smartphone isn't that extensive.
20-30 MP would be great. Any higher than that and you risk shoving too many megapixels into a sensor too small for those megapixels. You have to remember, this is a smartphone.
A large sensor. The 1020 had a large sensor but new technologies and hardware that has been released since means we can do more with less space, including a larger sensor and faster aperture for better low-light shots, better focal length and better detail overall.
An increase in microns. I'm not a fan of the traditional 1.1 microns. 1.3 would be good.
Improved OIS. The 830 has great OIS but it can still be better.
Laser auto focus. The only improvement this really brings is extra speed, as the phone still has to do the actual focusing, but speed is good.
Better zoom. That would be one benefit of more megapixels is a better ability to zoom.
I would very much like PureView, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the oversampling. If I want to take a 30MP picture I want a 30MP picture not 5MP. I understand its benefits for something like social media but if I want to I should be able to turn it off completely and take full resolution pictures.
Improve the software. I love the Lumia Camera apps for their manual control but they don't have the features they should built in. Get rid of lenses and build those functions straight into the app.
Better ergonomics. That bump was way too severe on the 1020.
Improved flash. A tri-tone flash would be great, and I don't see the benefits of Xenon on a smartphone (although I realize it is "true" flash) because of the battery drain and space issues you get. It's hard to fit a Xenon flash into a smartphone with a camera deserving of that Xenon flash. Sorry, but bricks don't sell unless you're buying a house. The phone doesn't need to be super slim but under 10mm.
I don't care who builds the lens. Real glass lens would be a blessing but we all know it won't happen.
Most importantly, more RAM and a more powerful processor. Oh and microSD card support is essential. 3GB of RAM, a processor capable of handling anything the camera can do and do it quickly, and the ability to add more storage whenever I want.

Okay so maybe that list was extensive. Who cares?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Chances of lumia 1020 successor?

I've been reading the news about new models coming out from various manufacturers and so far no phone has caught my eye. None fits what I am looking for.

None of the phones have cameras like the lumia 1020, some don't dedicated camera button or wrist strap holes or great designs or availability in most countries worldwide

Will any manufacturer, including Microsoft, come up with a windows phone where the camera is the main selling point just like the lumia 1020? A pureview camera, at least 41Mp with oversampled images of 8 or 10MP. Capable of recording 4k video, great battery life, 5 inch screen and dedicated camera button?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Chances of lumia 1020 successor?

There's negligible money to be made in a niche market.
No real need for a 1020 successor far as I can see.
Why try to best a camera phone that's tough to beat as a camera.

Just use and enjoy instead of stressing about something that will never come.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

When doing comparisons, people should upload the larger image that the 1020 takes, not just the smaller one for sharing.
You can unlock matched images and see them both in the photos app, everyone seems to upload and share the 5mp and ignore the fact there is a hidden (way better) image floating in the background (which is hidden by default) by having "linked duplicates"....... or don't they understand how the 1020 works?
I bet most just "share" the image and upload to their computer ........ try and share the larger MP image, then stand back and weep.
Then you would realise the 1020 blows them all out of the water, you can just enlarge, enlarge, then enlarge again, until the image is at 100 percent, if you enlarged the images from other phones, they would pixilate

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm going to do a graph on this later but for now:

520 > 525 > 530 > 535 > 540 > 550
620 > 625 > 630 > 635 > 638 > 640 > 650
720 > 730 > 735
820 > 830
920 > 925 > 930 > 950
1020 ?????????
1320 > 640xl