Internet Sharing (Tethering) problem

linuswa

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All!

I have a Macbook Air (from school so I can't put Windows on it). When I enable Internet Sharing on my Nokia Lumia 920 and use it with my mac it disconnects randomly for no reason. Can anyone help me with this?

/Linus

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
First things first. Have you determined if the problem is the host or the client? Tether another device to your phone and see if that device also drops the connection. If not, check the computer's wi-fi card drivers to make sure they are up to date. AirPort cards are fairly robust but you need to check anyway.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple hardware doesn't play nicely with certain mobile WiFi chipsets. I've tried tethering with various Macbook Pros and all of them showed the disconnection problem. Tried it with the Lumia 920, the galaxy S4, the Galaxy S3, the HTC One. The problems were worst with the Lumia, however, even with the iPhone 5, the connection isn't very stable.

As for your question: the problem's on your MBA and not the Lumia and there's no solution to it except for switching your phone or your computer. Used tethering for 5 hours with my Surface Pro last week and it never dropped the connection once. With my rMBP, it won't hold it for even a minute and sometimes it makes the computer's WiFi card crash altogether, requiring a reboot.

Hi All!

I have a Macbook Air (from school so I can't put Windows on it). When I enable Internet Sharing on my Nokia Lumia 920 and use it with my mac it disconnects randomly for no reason. Can anyone help me with this?

/Linus

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers