iMac with Windows 8.1?Good with no Touch? And more questions...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Before you guys rage in me buying an Apple product, I want to let you know I'm buying a Surface Pro 2, and I'm staying with Windows Phone for the time being, so I'm not switching completely to Apple. But when I get this new iMac, I want to boot camp it and run Windows 8.1 on it when it comes out. But some questions.

1. Has Microsoft made it a lot better on 8.1 to make it better for non-touch computers?
2. Can I hook up PC accessories (maybe only PC compatible) and use it in boot camp, or does it have to be a "PC"? Like the Xbox Controller for Windows, Windows Mice, etc?
3. Do the Mac accessories (keyboard, mouse, etc) work well, if so 100%? I don't want the mouse working for clicking, but not for scrolling, etc.
4. If I get a virus on the PC or Mac side, does it harm both sides, or just one?
5. If I get a backup drive and backup my iMac, will it backup both OS X and Windows, or just Mac if I do it in OS X or Windows if I do it in Windows?
6. How do I update the drivers for my iMac on Windows?
7. Are their programs that ONLY work on i7 processors, and not i5's? Because I can configure it $200 more for an i7 (slightly faster and Hyper-threading) if I really need it.
8. If I download a movie, for example, on iTunes, and I want it on the Windows side too, do I need to redownload it for Windows?
9. If I have another Mac with it partitioned, and Apple does the full transfer, will both OSes be 100% the same as the old computer (meaning same files, still having Windows as well, etc)?

I don't know if I should get the 21.5 inch or 27 inch, and if I should get an i5/i7, Nvidia geforce gt 750m/755m, 8GB/16GB RAM, and more. I want to have a desktop that has many features, while being powerful for at least 4-5 years.

If some questions I asked are dumb, I'm sorry, I don't know much about partitioning and running two OSes on one device. If you can help, please do. Thanks.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an iMAC, OS X is a great operating system. You won't need to put windows on it. If you want a windows on your IMAC, you can buy an all in one that is much cheaper with a touch screen.

As for non-touch with windows 8. I have a Windows 7 laptop that I upgraded to Windows 8.1, I have no problems with the no touch. Windows 8 works great with just a mouse. It works with touch as well. You should be fine without touch on your iMAC.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
1. Has Microsoft made it a lot better on 8.1 to make it better for non-touch computers?

Windows 8 is just as good as 8.1, Windows is designed to be used with a mouse and it works great.

2. Can I hook up PC accessories (maybe only PC compatible) and use it in boot camp, or does it have to be a "PC"? Like the Xbox Controller for Windows, Windows Mice, etc?
The beauty of windows is that it is so versitle. You should have any issues with windows mice, but boot camp installs the drivers for the magic mouse and touch pad if you get it.

3. Do the Mac accessories (keyboard, mouse, etc) work well, if so 100%? I don't want the mouse working for clicking, but not for scrolling, etc.
They should work 100%
4. If I get a virus on the PC or Mac side, does it harm both sides, or just one?
Some MACs are host for viruses, it does nothing to a MAC computer but could effect a windows machine. The virus most likely will only effect the windows side. With Windows Defender built into Windows 8, you shouldn't have issues with Viruses.
5. If I get a backup drive and backup my iMac, will it backup both OS X and Windows, or just Mac if I do it in OS X or Windows if I do it in Windows?
it will only backup the side you want it to back up
6. How do I update the drivers for my iMac on Windows?
The drivers are done in boot camp, nothing on Windows side, you shouldn't have to worry. Apple Updates them periodically if needed.

7. Are their programs that ONLY work on i7 processors, and not i5's? Because I can configure it $200 more for an i7 (slightly faster and Hyper-threading) if I really need it.
I haven't heard of programs only running on i7 processors. That is such a small market and with i7 just coming out, I doubt there are exclusive applications that work only with i7.
8. If I download a movie, for example, on iTunes, and I want it on the Windows side too, do I need to redownload it for Windows?
I am not sure, you might beable to look through system files, but I believe it will be on a seperate partion so you might not beable to see it.
9. If I have another Mac with it partitioned, and Apple does the full transfer, will both OSes be 100% the same as the old computer (meaning same files, still having Windows as well, etc)?
I do not have the answer for this, I hope somebody else can help you with this.
I don't know if I should get the 21.5 inch or 27 inch, and if I should get an i5/i7, Nvidia geforce gt 750m/755m, 8GB/16GB RAM, and more. I want to have a desktop that has many features, while being powerful for at least 4-5 years.

27 inch is pretty big, but for productivity you can fit a lot on your screen, I would go for the 16 gigs of ram.

I have a 2011 iMAC 21 inch, I regret only getting 4 gigs of ram on it. This version is the last version that was able to upgrade the ram easily. WIth the 2012 and 2013 iMACs, it is much harder to do. I would get more than you need and of course in your price range. Alaso I suggest getting a Superdrive from Apple. My 2011 iMAC has a built in CD rom drive. Honestly I have used it only a few times.
If some questions I asked are dumb, I'm sorry, I don't know much about partitioning and running two OSes on one device. If you can help, please do. Thanks.
Your questions are not dumb. If you are looking to run Windows on your iMAC, I highly suggest you get a windows machine instead.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response. It helps a lot. The thing is, I want both OS X and Windows, so I don't want to buy two different desktops. Unless I get a touch monitor, and wait for the new mac mini, and buy that? I don't know.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you want both, I would get the iMAC, since you are also getting a surface pro, You should be in good shape.

I have the Original Surface Pro 128 Gig, it is my most used device besides of course my cell.

Also with having a surface pro, you probably won't need windows on your mac.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Just I would like to run some Windows programs on this mac. As it has NVIDIA graphics, I can play PC games. You did bring up a good point. I should just play console game for intense and casual PC games like minecraft on my computer. So yeah, maybe I shouldn't put windows on my mac as I'm getting the Pro 2. Or maybe don't get the Pro 2 and just put Windows on my mac. Too many choices.

One thing though. MAN, my money just disappears like that. Such expensive machines, both of them. That's around $4500!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett