Access internal storage of 1020 via Mac

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here so forgive me if it's in the wrong section! I've just picked up my 1020, after using iPhone since it's first release. I've got the MoliPlayer Pro as it seemed to be the closest thing to VLC I could find. My reason for getting it was so I could put video files on without the need to convert. In the app, the instructions on how to transfer via cable (as opposed to WiFi) are all to do with Windows, I was wondering if anyone knew how to access a folder that I could drop video files into on Mac? So far the only way I can figure out how to do it is putting them into iTunes and syncing them but that always goes to the native video player on windows phone operating system.

(another thing I wasn't sure about was when I dropped a video file into my iTunes library, and went to sync it via the windows phone mac app, it didn't appear on the left column's 'movie' section, it was within 'music > unknown artist > home movies > name of file' - still works but it's just a bit weird)

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great!
Sam

EDIT: also, if you want to add a video file to the native video playing app on windows phone, then you are restricted by what file types both windows allows AND iTunes? because iTunes doesn't allow .avi whereas as far as i know windows phone allows some .avi's

Last edited:

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply! Well, when I connect it to my mac, it doesn't appear in Finder. So I'm wondering if there's some other alternate way. Maybe it's something we'll see in an update perhaps?

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
hey. i am not on a mac now. so this may be way off. are you able to see your windows phone when u plug it in? if u dont see your phone as a drive in finder/desktop how will your native windows phone app for mac work? if you are able to see it then navigate to the pictures folder and drop the video file there. if u cannot see ur phone.. then try bluetooth.. transfer videos through bluetooth cos videos transfered through bluetooth goes into the pics folder. i cannot confirm if u will get a "file type not supported" error for .mkv files because i dont have my phone now :D but if it works then you can watch .mkv videos on your phone. and depending on how much of bluetooth file tranfer is open in wp os you may be able to send and receive files without even touching ur phone.

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
hey. i am not on a mac now. so this may be way off. are you able to see your windows phone when u plug it in? if u dont see your phone as a drive in finder/desktop how will your native windows phone app for mac work? if you are able to see it then navigate to the pictures folder and drop the video file there. if u cannot see ur phone.. then try bluetooth.. transfer videos through bluetooth cos videos transfered through bluetooth goes into the pics folder. i cannot confirm if u will get a "file type not supported" error for .mkv files because i dont have my phone now :D but if it works then you can watch .mkv videos on your phone. and depending on how much of bluetooth file tranfer is open in wp os you may be able to send and receive files without even touching ur phone.

When I connect my 1020 to my mac, nothing happens, nothing appears in finder, the only way to access it as far as I can see is via the Windows Phone mac app. The app allows you to sync media to the inbuilt apps on windows phone but it doesn't let you sync files to third party apps :(

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
yep, it's the only way. There's another tool to grab the hi-res images, but I don't know the exact name.. Can't you just setup a VM or Bootcamp?

StephanDanner

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
On OS X there is no direct access to the WP file system - that's only available on Windows (and/or Linux?).
On Mac you have to use either the Windows Phone tool (to transfer music, videos etc., available via App Store) and for the hi-res pictures you need to use Nokia Photo Transfer.
Windows Phone in the OS X App Store:
[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/windows-phone/id415571499?mt=12&at=10l3Vy]https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/windows-phone/id415571499?mt=12[/URL]

Nokia Photo Transfer (this is the Link to the Austrian page, you might want to check your country's page -> Support downloads):
Nokia Lumia 1020 Support, Updates, Downloads und Bedienungsanleitungen - Nokia

Have fun,
BR, Stephan

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
did u try bluetooth? it ll be slow.. but try it.. vlc player is nearing completion i read somewhere. even if vlc player comes to wp u ll have to do the same thing and try and put video files in pics folder as the video library is not open to 3rd party app devs. try bluetooth.

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Photo Transfer seems to be okay for exporting photo's off of me phone (although windows phone mac app does this), but it still suffers the same problem where I am not able to import files to specific apps (my objective here is to transfer, say, an .avi or .mkv to an app that plays those kinds of files, as the default video player doesn't support those file types)

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
did u try bluetooth? it ll be slow.. but try it.. vlc player is nearing completion i read somewhere. even if vlc player comes to wp u ll have to do the same thing and try and put video files in pics folder as the video library is not open to 3rd party app devs. try bluetooth.

I'm able to do what I want via WiFi, because most of these video apps that support other filetypes have a url you can go to to upload the files. I just wanted there to be a quick way using a cable, but I guess there doesn't seem to be a way hehe.

Do any of you know if Windows are ABLE to open up the file system to allow this kind of thing in an update, or would you need to buy a new windows phone to allow that kind of thing? What I'm getting at is could there be a possibility of a future firmware/software update to allow this?

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
so many ppl including me have asked ms to open the video library in wp but no positive replies have come so far. we could see this change in wp 8.1 but dont count on it. getting a new wp will not do the trick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes