Microsoft Band outside the US?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So, I am in India and just ordered this band using a Drop and Ship service. To install the health app, I had to change my region to the US. Wonder what will and what won't work here in India.

Anyone else outside the US ordered this yet?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Second this. I'm thinking about ordering it through a proxy parcel service. What will work outside the US? (even though it's currently only available in the US so far)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Theoretically, everything should work. Microsoft anyways makes it very easy to bypass regional restrictions. Will know in a week.

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
if you changed your country to US on the phone settings and on your account setting everything should work (even Cortana)
Microsoft don't do IP blocking if you tell them you're from the US they take your word (and that's great :evil: )

Akash Bhargava

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
What if we just change the region to install the App and then switch back to India? Will it still work?

I was about to order it but just stepped back. It seems to have a deep integration with the app and I don't want to keep US as the region on the phone.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I installed the app in Australia (phone set to US region for Cortana), obviously can't get very far without the Band but I did notice that the first page where you enter your details is all lbs., feet & inches. The WC unboxing video showed a quick glance at a settings page to change units though so hopefully that's all ok. I plan to get family to pick one up for me when they are in the US in a month.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere yesterday that changing the region back to anything else doesn't disable the app. You just have to change the region back to the US to update the App.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So, I am in India and just ordered this band using a Drop and Ship service. To install the health app, I had to change my region to the US. Wonder what will and what won't work here in India.

Anyone else outside the US ordered this yet?

Can you give me an Eli5 of Drop and Ship service?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I use comgateway.com. You get a US address as soon as you sign up where you can get stuff delivered. In case the site won't accept your non -US credit card, you can get their "buy for me" service like I did and they will pay on your behalf and buy.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My patience ran out and I got one for 275 USD from eBay. Will be delivered to my drop and ship service by Monday and will reach me in a week. Will report how it works outside the US

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
275 USD for band and shipping to my drop and ship service in Oregon. From there I estimate around 24USD to ship to India. Don't know,exact amount in INR, but should come out to 18400, excluding customs.

No idea how much customs would charge, they are completely unpredictable

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
275 USD for band and shipping to my drop and ship service in Oregon. From there I estimate around 24USD to ship to India. Don't know,exact amount in INR, but should come out to 18400, excluding customs.

No idea how much customs would charge, they are completely unpredictable

Wicked! Let us know when you get it :) (I'd be interested to pick up one of these soon)

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
But is 'if you changed your country to US on your account setting' also needed?

FWIW I already installed the Windows and Windows Phone apps for the Band. Changed region back to 'The Netherlands' and the app opens just fine.
All seems OK, but I can't check yet if I will be able to register the Band with my NON-US Microsoft account. Without a Band.
Who (with a Band outside of the US and a NON-US account) knows?
Please fill us in!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Tom Warren from the Verge is using one and he is in the UK. I think the region restriction is only to install the app.

I will get mine by next week, will report.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I asked the question too on mywindows.nl.
And got the answer that it works just fine with a Non-US account.

Mine should come in tomorrow. Fingers crossed.