Loving my band!

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
For me, I assume. I don't see anywhere to turn on notifications in the band itself but in the Health app its turned on.

No problem with mine, stays locked. Tried giving the sensors a wipe?

Yeah I have given them a good wipedown. What orientation do you have yours in?

Ouzzi

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
two questions, one of them is how much does it last with GPS on and/or watch mode on ... I know thats a bit early, but get back whenever possible if you please.
second, where does this thing show battery indicator :D ?

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
two questions, one of them is how much does it last with GPS on and/or watch mode on ... I know thats a bit early, but get back whenever possible if you please.

I can't answer your first question, but battery status is shown if you swipe towards the right from the main clock screen (info is on the left edge.) Also, the Health app on the phone will show the battery level if you go into the My Microsoft Band page. Lastly, it shows battery level when plugged in and charging on the screen (at least it does if you have watch mode turned on.)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I have given them a good wipedown. What orientation do you have yours in?

I use mine with the screen on the outside of my wrist. Maybe a swap would be the best idea since there's not too much to configure for this feature. Or a hard reset of the band?

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I figured it would have a cycling mode for fitness. Am I just stuck with it not working with my type of workout or is there something else I can do.

I like it quite a bit though. Bit uncomfortable but I've only been wearing it 30 minutes. Almost sold out at the Microsoft store I went to. Employees didn't even know it was coming until last night.

crelim

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
For indoor cycling I have been just selecting the workout tile "the one that says, yoga, weights whatever your workout" and use that to log my HR. If you want outdoor cycling, I would use it in the run mode for now since the data it collects would still be very similar (GPS track + HR) and on top you can export the data (via connected apps). You can then re-import that data to your favorite cycling pp like TrainingPeaks.

I like it quite a bit though. Bit uncomfortable but I've only been wearing it 30 minutes.
It gets better quickly. Give it about 4-5 days to break into the band and then it will be very comfortable. For me it took about 4 days of wearing.

jantveg85

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh man! I'll be getting myself the AT&T Lumia 830 and the MSFT Band as early Christmas presents to myself!

Glad to hear everyone's enjoying their Band!

crelim

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Regarding GPS, I have gone on 2-hour runs and it would still last all day. With no GPS usage and the clock mode on, on most occasions I got close to 2-day battery. Seldom it ran out in 1.5 days and that was when I had too many emails and notifications.

crelim

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I have taken the band on a couple 2 hour or so runs and despite that had my band last all day long. I never had a chance to test how long it goes if GPS is on all the time. Also note that the track the band collects is pretty dense -- in other words the GPS is sampled at a high rate.

Without GPS, I get 2 days on most occasions with 1.5 days when I get a lot of email and too many notifications, but in general I charge it every other night.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
How accurate is the time display? If it is taking its time from the mobile phone it is linked to which in turn takes it from the service provider then for me it will be a minute or so out which is no good at all for many day to day purposes such as catching a bus.

crelim

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
How accurate is the time display? If it is taking its time from the mobile phone it is linked to which in turn takes it from the service provider then for me it will be a minute or so out which is no good at all for many day to day purposes such as catching a bus.

The time is very accurate -- as accurate as any digital watch out there. The reason the band or rather any such device (even your phone) takes time every now or then from a "master source" (which here is the GSM/CDMA towers that further get their time from Atomic Cesium clocks in satellites) is to correct for the oscillator drift. This oscillator drift is tiny and would not be more than a mere second over a period of 24 hours. The other obvious reason for getting time from the phone is so that the user does not have to set it and when you fly to another country, the time is automatically set to local time.

Also, despite a long chain of one device getting its time from another device like you mentioned the absolute time difference is on the order of milliseconds and is often of no concern for everyday timekeeping. You won't miss your bus by a millisecond ;)

For more info and to learn how you would sync time for an experiment where a difference of even 1uS (MICRO second) is unacceptable, look into NTP and Stratum-0/1 level clocks or GPS disciplined oven controlled clocks.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hope they add double tap to wake as an option. Even if the screen doesn't support it, it should be able to sense the motion of the tap like the Fitbit Flex does. Seems like a better way to get its attention than having to press a button.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
The other obvious reason for getting time from the phone is so that the user does not have to set it and when you fly to another country, the time is automatically set to local time
But that is the problem. The time on my phone as set by my service provider is always a minute or two behind.

crelim

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
But that is the problem. The time on my phone as set by my service provider is always a minute or two behind.

Wow, really? I am now curious. What service provider are you on? This seems very odd to me because a lot of vital services depend on GSM towers maintaining correct time.

As far as the band is concerned, if you were to manually change time on phone that will also update time on band, but really something is very weird if you are telling me your service provider gives you time that is off by *minutes*!

navet42

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Loving mine. Set it all up, and getting all my notifications off an IOS device.

Did one of the inbuilt workouts. Left my phone in the house while doing the workout, and it worked perfectly.

Not sure how if it integrates with MSN Health app or HealthVault, so I can track my food intake as well. Sure it will in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss