What are your negatives?

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This is not a bashing thread. I have a Band and I'm liking it so far, but I'd like to have a constructive talk about where other owners feel it could be improved. My list:
1) Not as comfortable as a Fitbit Flex. The Band is obviously larger, but it is also more rigid, with inflexible components on the top, sides and bottom, whereas the Fitbit is only rigid at the top. Hopefully future versions will be able to have smaller components and do away with the rigid side pieces for a more comfortable fit.
2) Cannot change orientation. For both a decent display when in "vertical" orientation, but also flipping 180 degrees. As a lefty, my natural inclination is to wear it with the buttons facing my palm (as is natural for a righty wearing it on their left hand) but the screen is upside-down. It's not troublesome to use with the buttons on the inside (unlike how I suspect the Apple Watch will be) but it would be nice to see a software patch to support orientation preference,

I will reserve judgment about battery life and charging until I've had it for a few more days, but I am concerned about them.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with your sentiments and assessments. I wish the band were not so long and rigid. It could even be improved just by making the screen part a bit convex or curved so that the sensor still made contact but the whole unit followed the shape of the wrist more like a watch. And it is a bit awkward to use the buttons, although I am getting more used to it.

Last night I tried monitoring my sleep and discovered that I couldn't, in that mode, swipe to other tiles to check time, HR, e-mail, etc. and there was only a tiny, barely readable display of the time in the upper right of the screen. I suspect (but haven't tried yet) that it will work the same in running or exercise mode. I don't really need to check -mail while sleeping, but t would be nice to be able to check messages and text while on a run.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
To early for me to tell, but one thing I immediately didn't like was how grippy the front panel is. I wish it were smoother like a phone screen. I wish the whole to panel were glass.

For some strange reason I wish I could charge out while wearing it. That seems crazy and completely impractical. I can sideways charge while in the shower, but the thought of charging while wearing did cross my mind.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed while wearing it out today that watch mode is barely/not readable in direct sunlight. It's easy enough to see with the screen fully on, though.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I would like to be able to program my own guided workouts, and the ability to clear read messages/emails from the band. Otherwise, its great!

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Band only works with the latest Windows Phone Preview for Developers if you need Cortana, Facebook and Twitter notification. I have Lumia 1520 without the preview and Cortana, Facebook and Twitter wasn't available. I called MS support and was informed that minimum requirement is WP version: 8.10.14192

Last edited:

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Last night I tried monitoring my sleep and discovered that I couldn't, in that mode, swipe to other tiles to check time, HR, e-mail, etc. and there was only a tiny, barely readable display of the time in the upper right of the screen. I suspect (but haven't tried yet) that it will work the same in running or exercise mode. I don't really need to check -mail while sleeping, but t would be nice to be able to check messages and text while on a run.

For better or worse, when you tell it you are trying to sleep it seems to believe you really want to sleep and not fiddle with the buttons. I noticed that because I tried the same thing as you. As far as i can tell notifications cease, and it essentially collects the data but won't let you view it during sleep mode.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
While running you get nnotifications of mail/messages and if you notice quickly you can read them, but if you miss it and the screen goes back to run mode you can't access mail/messages again until after the run.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
When are people charging? Mine arrives Monday and I was wondering when is best... Middle of day when working?

That's when I charge it. WHen I go to lunch, I'll let it charge.

For me, I would like to flip the screen as others have said, and I posted in another thread, that I want an option, when a Text message comes in, to immediately hit 'reply w/Cortana' and have it instantly listen for a dictated message from me.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd like a way to activate Cortana listening mode without pushing a button. Maybe a quick back and forth twist of the wrist? Easier than taking your hands off the handlebar.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd like for the notifications to be removed from notification center on my phone if I dismiss it on the band and visa versa.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me the 2 biggest negatives from what I'm hearing:

- the rigidity of the device and how that impacts comfort on the wrist bones
​- the screen getting all scratched up too easily

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me the 2 biggest negatives from what I'm hearing:

- the rigidity of the device and how that impacts comfort on the wrist bones
​- the screen getting all scratched up too easily
Well that, and it doesn't even have auto-pause. Pathetic! Definitely do not buy.

(I'm kidding, it just seems that you're on a bit of an anti-band rampage today.. :D )

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Now that I've hand the band for a bit longer, I'll follow up to one of my concerns:
If I wear the band fairly tight, display on inside, and on the elbow side of the wrist bone, it is actually fairly comfortable. I still think that the Fitbit flex is more comfortable, but with all the extras in the Band, it's a fair trade-off.
Not a negative: After wearing both the Band and the Flex all day yesterday (not a highly active day) the Flex reported 3700 steps and the Band 3744. So it's step accuracy is pretty much on par with other devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon