Scratched ALREADY!

bitman417

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have an issue with the screen protector they gave me at the store.

It took about 5 minutes to apply, but I feel as though it looks great. it's also a great fit.

Picture below is a shot that shows the screen protector with flash on camera.
WP_20141031_006.jpg

Picture below is a shot without flash. This is what it looks like while wearing it. (You cannot even notice the screen protector.
WP_20141031_003.jpg

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... mine is scratched all over the place already, and I've only had it for six hours. The MS Store didn't have any protectors in stock, they're supposed to send me one when they get them, but I'm disappointed. There are literally TONS of small scratches all over the face of the device. None on the actual screen itself, but the entire bezel area is scratched like crazy, and I work in an office at a desk.

I love the device, but am not impressed by this.
Pretty sure you do not literally have tons of scratches....

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I just had a terrible time putting on the screen protector. There's a ton a bubbles and scratches. Most likely my fault. I called MicroSoft and the guy in the call center said he can ship me a new one ($9.99) with free one day shipping (normally costs around $16). Awesome.

On Amazon, I can see protectors by ArmorSuit that will only sell by Nov 22.
I know a trick to avoid those annoying bubbles...

(sorry for my bad english)

Before putting the screen protector, clean the screen first by using a masking tape or any other tape...

Stick the tape to the screen, then remove it. Repeat the process until there is no more dirt... (the tape absorbs it)

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Pretty sure that the bezel of MY device is littered with MANY scratches already after less than one day of normal use. I haven't even worked out with it yet, just been wearing it at the office and at home. It doesn't impair the use of the device, but it sure looks ugly, especially when I tell people it's "brand new."

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
WP_20141031_006.jpgWP_20141031_008.jpg

This is what mine looks like after wearing it for a few hours at the office yesterday (desk job) and wearing it at home for one evening. Put your screen protectors on, people. I did not do anything aggressive or even work out with it on yet, this is simply from performing normal tasks while wearing it (face in) on my wrist.

It's hard to capture the scratches properly in this lighting with a camera, it looks worse in person.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure that the bezel of MY device is littered with MANY scratches already after less than one day of normal use. I haven't even worked out with it yet, just been wearing it at the office and at home. It doesn't impair the use of the device, but it sure looks ugly, especially when I tell people it's "brand new."

i get it but given what this thing is designed to do, i've given up on the idea of keeping it pristine. on the other hand, i do wish the top panel was made of one piece of glass set in the rubber casing. i think that would feel better and would have looked and felt better than setting the panel in the grippy plastic that catches my finger every time i touch the screen.

garyhartaz

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my protectors are Zagg. One of them must have been defective as the yellow pull off was baked onto the surface of the actual protector, that is why the first image looks so bad. The second picture shows how the screen and bezel are not aligned causing a horrible gap around both. I have installed dozens of screen protectors with zero issue so this is quite alarming.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i get it but given what this thing is designed to do, i've given up on the idea of keeping it pristine. on the other hand, i do wish the top panel was made of one piece of glass set in the rubber casing. i think that would feel better and would have looked and felt better than setting the panel in the grippy plastic that catches my finger every time i touch the screen.

It's definitely not the end of the world, but I still don't think it should look beat up after a day. Either way, the device is awesome, I just wish this area of the design was a little better.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 86195View attachment 86196

This is what mine looks like after wearing it for a few hours at the office yesterday (desk job) and wearing it at home for one evening. Put your screen protectors on, people. I did not do anything aggressive or even work out with it on yet, this is simply from performing normal tasks while wearing it (face in) on my wrist.

It's hard to capture the scratches properly in this lighting with a camera, it looks worse in person.

wow, that's pretty bad. this is what i mean by microsoft shooting itself in the foot. this makes a premium device look cheap because a corner appears to have been cut. why not use the rubber materials up to the actual screen? wy not embed the screen and that sensor on the side into a rubber base? granted it would look a little less shiny, but in terms of durability and how it looks after several weeks of use...i think it would hold up much better.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree. There's a good possibility this was a quick project from design to manufacture to release, but still... it looks ugly when it's got this many scratches after just a day, especially when you want to show it off to people and get them to shell out $200 for one.

Fred_S

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

According to OED, he may!

literally
Line breaks: lit|er?al?ly
Pronunciation: /ˈlɪt(ə)rəli
adverb
1 In a literal manner or sense; exactly: the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout tiramisu,
1.1 informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true: I have received literally thousands of letters

:smile:

jeres88

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My screen protector was easy to apply and looks great. I normally don't use screen protectors since I don't like the look/feel of them, but I'm pretty impressed with the one that came with this device. Mine looks pretty much exactly like the oens posted by bitman417

DrFate

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
BTW, if you are nervous putting on the screen protector yourself, the Microsoft Store will install it for you. Mine came out perfectly when they installed it and the little air bubbles came out by morning.

Yu Cheng

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
neither did I, seeing many videos with Starbucks gift cards or screen protector or RunKeeper elite for three months, I am feeling cheated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb