How do you wear your Band?

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Since you can wear the Band either way (display on the inside of your wrist or on the outside) I am curious about how people actually wear it and why.
I didn't even try to wear the screen on the outside.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine on the way to the airport and just fiddle with how to wear it for half the flight. When I first put it on I had the display on the inside, but then switched it to the outside. It was too awkward to use the screen. So then I tried flipping the screen around while still out the outside of the wrist, that was bad too. Eventually I settled back on the inside. The only thing I am worried about is scuffing up the screen when I set my arms down on a table. But even when I wear my regular watch I am brushing the watch face up against stuff all the time.

Anyway, wearing it on the inside of the wrist is the only way that the Band seems usable.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree. I wore it screen out this morning for a little while, but it just doesn't "feel" right.
As for scuffing, I haven't seen an issue yet. I am at my keyboard most of the day and so far I haven't seen a scratch.
I will pick up the screen protector tomorrow though (was out of stock when I got he Band) just to be on the safe side.
With that I believe, I should be good.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
so far i'm wearing mine screen out. haven't even tried screen in, but i might. also, i'm a lefty so i this on my right hand. does that make a difference? i've never thought this before...what hand do right-handed people tend to where watches?

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am right handed and wear it left. you bring up a good point actually. I am not sure, but as far as I remember, I have had my pulse always taken on my left wrist. I think I will give it a try over the weekend and wear it right, just to see if I can detect any difference in accuracy on pulse and/or how quickly it is able to detect.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I went purely w/ the screen on the inside (down) - it was fine and feels no different to me than wearing one of my larger watches. Today I'm going to try screen on the outside while I'm sitting at my desk (I tend to sit for longer stretches of time).

Call me crazy, but while I'm resting my hands/wrists on my desk I like the idea of the pressure between the sensor and my skin (to get the most HR readings). That may not ultimately matter, but it's a thought. More importantly, if it feels fine, should help to somewhat minimize the scratching.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I used to wear mine display up on topside of my wrist. It seemed to make sense since this is how you wear a watch and the HR sensor would be close to the underside of your wrist where you would normally take your pulse. Then I saw all of the watches with the optical HR like the Band and the sensor is underneath the display (unlike the Band). So apparently the sensor should be on the top of the wrist, although Microsoft says you can wear it either way.

ablahblah

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm right handed and I wear it on the inside of my left wrist from day 1. I'm used to wearing watches in that orientation actually, it can come in handy sometimes if you want to check the time while your hands are outstretched doing something.

To me it also makes it kind of less obtrusive; it usually takes people a good few hours with me to question what the heck is on my left wrist, and most don't even notice that it has a display at first. Great because I don't like screaming "I HAVE A *NEW* SMARTwatch!" heh, The band has just sort of blended into my everyday life and I'm really comfortable with that.

I've tried wearing it on the inside of my right wrist and it doesn't feel right. I can tell its there...all the time...which is probably what a lot of the negative reviews on the Band were talking about. On my left wrist it just disappears though.

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I wear mine face down most of the time - on left wrist (I'm right handed). The two exceptions are at night, because otherwise I notice the green glow from the HR sensor when I sleep, and when I play tennis as I have a two handed backhand and wearing it with the face out does not interfere with my stroke.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I've worn mine with the screen facing the inside of my left hand (my non-dominant hand) since day 1. It just doesn't seem natural any other way. I don't see what all of the issues with comfort are--like ablahblah said, it just disappears.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
As far as the HR sensor is concerned, orientation does not matter. Unlike palpating a pulse where you must feel the pressure difference, the optical sensor detects fluctuations in the capillaries. Capillaries transfer blood from the arteries to the tissue and from the tissue to your veins. Therefore they are easier to monitor than having to position directly over an artery.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I wear it with the screen on the inside. I tried on the outside, as that is how I would wear a normal watch, but the orientation of the screen and the placement of the buttons makes it feel unnatural to not only read but also to manipulate the device.

As for which wrist to wear it on, I was taught when I got my first watch as a child to wear it on my non-dominant hand. I'm right-handed, so I wear mine on the left. I was not told the logic behind this concept, but one thing I've noticed with the Band is that I'm not nearly as comfortable pressing the buttons and using the touch screen with my left hand as I am with my right hand.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Screen out, left (non-dominant) hand. I wore it screen in when I bought it for a couple of weeks, but it didn't seem convenient. FWIW, I'm on the MS campus on a regular basis, and I seem to see more MS employees wearing it on the inside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3