Band User Reviews

pepelepieux

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey Shad,

You need to give the band and the notification tile a few days before you can see all the notifications pushed through the band.
Besides you need to set "banner ON" on your phone for each notification you want to be pushed through the band.
The toast notification triggers the process.

I had the same issue at beginning but everything is OK now.
Let us know.

Ps :
Mail, text and phone don t need toasts to trigger notifications on the band.
Only apps+FB+Twitter do.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay, had it over a month now. I can honestly say that I now miss it when I don't wear it. It took me a couple weeks to get used to its presence and now I hardly notice when I wear it.

Only gripes are the Health app seems a little sluggish, but that may be due to the fact I have a 1020 (still waiting on its sequel to upgrade), and HR LED is so bright I can see it at night on occasion. The only things I would suggest for version two would be a slightly softer material that would better conform to skin shape, implement inductive charging instead of the contacts, and buyout the Band Wallpaper guy and integrate his app into the Health app.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Band has been ok...good, perhaps. I've worn it everyday since Christmas. I do not use sleep monitor or guided workouts. I have a good routines for workout (5x week) and sleep well at night.

Pros:
- HR monitor
- Calories burned
- Pedometer
- Message/email/caller-ID notifications
- Count down timer

Cons:
- Got to get past bit of awkward fit around the wrist
- No control over font size on screen
- No control over the notification display duration
- Lack of ability to extract all the data (MS Health app is poor)
- No integration with HealthVault, HealthKit or any other integration option

From design stand point, it is masculine and cannot imagine any woman wearing Band. Not a color issue; rather, its proportions and overall appearance. Being a man, its fine for me but my wife would not be caught dead with it.

I would like to have had the display to be on the side of my wrist. On top or bottom of the wrist, like a watch, is problematic if you want to read the data at a glance without a wrist motion. One has to turn the wrist to see the display currently. Because of the battery and sensor layout, the hard-shaped Band cannot be worn to face the display on the side of the wrist. The clasp add to the bulkiness and makes wearing face down look rather odd.

Overall, it is a typical Microsoft product. Has all the capabilities, with less than ideal interfaces and data availability. I would really like to know the calories burn by the hour over time so that I can adjust my day to do more (or less) based on calories expended. Right now, I have to go day by day and extract that data manually - WTF.... Weekly view is nice but its per day.

Still, its better than most, especially if MS ever invoke the use of all the sensors (e.g., galvanic skin measure and temperature) and make data fully accessible from collected measurements.

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Bought a Band 4 days ago and have been really enjoying it. It replaced my Pebble which had become virtually orphaned when I switched from Android to WP.

Fit - I could have bought a medium and kept the clasp at its widest setting or a large and had more flexibility with the snugness of the fit. I chose the large and have been happy. The flat screen part is 2 inches long. The Pebble was about 2 inches too so I've been okay with the fit. I wear it on the top of my wrist, not the inside.

Screen - MS was still running a promotion and tossed in a screen protector. Stupidly, I didn't pay close enough attention when I applied it and left an air bubble in the center of the screen; that has since disappeared and the shield is completely invisible. The screen is vibrant and sharp. I haven't had the opportunity to look at it in bright sunlight yet. The touch part has been good. The scrolling momentum takes some getting used to but it's fine. When I wear my glasses, the font is very clear. Without them, the word by word reading feature works very well. I tried the on screen keyboard for fun though I'm not sure it's 100% useful. If ever I'm in a hostage situation and need to get a secretive message out I'll be glad to have it.

Battery - I have the heart monitor on and GPS off. (I can see using the GPS for a hike or run - when it gets warmer outside.) I have watch mode turned on all day, heptic feedback on high, BT on all day, and screen on medium and the battery is barely used at the end of the day - maybe still at 80%? I tend to charge it every night so battery life is good; I think I could easily get two days out of it if necessary (though I did buy a spare cable just in case.)

Use: It's great having my phone alerts completely on silent; with the Band I never miss a message or call. Talking to Cortana works extremely well. I thought I'd miss music control but Cortana can control the music much more than the Pebble's "Play, Pause, FF, REW." I can say "Play xxxxx" or "next song" or whatever and it happens.

Wishes:
- When I use Cortana through the Band it unlocks the phone. When the phone's in my pants pocket, odds are tiles and on-screen buttons are getting pushed. That can be a problem if I am unaware of that behavior. I had to set the screen lock time out to 60 seconds to try to avoid apps getting tapped yet if the screen thinks it *is* being tapped it will never self lock. I wish the phone would stay locked when I use the Band.
- I wish I could set separate alerts for texts vs. e-mail vs. whatever. I tend to want to look at texts immediately but if I'm occupied I can let e-mail wait. One buzz if by POP/IMAP and two if by SMS would be handy.
- I wish I could dismiss alerts in either direction (Band to phone; phone to Band.)

The good news is, each of these wishes can be granted via software updates. I hope they come true.

So far.... liking it a lot.
Frank

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Quick tip for those who have found the perfect fit on their band - I took an exacto knife and made a faint mark on the side of the strap so I know where to line it up for the best fit.

flicker0x7

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone done any extensive testing on the HR monitor? I keep seeing these conflicting opinions, some are claiming that it's terrible while others say it's among the best and this is the primary thing that's holding me back right now.

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised the band fits as comfortably as it does. I've been wearing it for about 6 hours or so and I barely notice it. It will definitely take some adjustment, wearing a digital band when I'm so used to the old fashioned time pieces but the one thing that I'm shocked about is how bad the step counting is.

I've been sitting at my desk for most of the last 6 hours. I have walked to the bathroom once, which is about 30 feet from my office, and, maybe, a few trips to the printer, which is 15 feet away and, yet, I've taken close to 2600 steps, according to the band.

There's no way that's right.

The notifications are annoying while I'm at my desk, where my phone and pc give me the info that the vibrating alerts me to but, when my crazy hours disappear, and I am out and about again, I think it will be a nice perk.

If microsoft, or someone else, can get the band to control the music app, then my world would be complete.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Most of these comments are out dated, vault and the band app have been connected, nice to see progress could deal with more info on charts however Microsoft are listening

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I spent a few days in the hospital last week (I'm doing fine now, thanks) and had my vitals checked every 4 hours or so. The HR was surprisingly accurate compared to the official measurements. But the knock on wrist monitors is that they're accurate when at rest but less so with elevated heart rates - like when exercising.

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm surprised the band fits as comfortably as it does.
<snip>
If microsoft, or someone else, can get the band to control the music app, then my world would be complete.

Yes - I find it to be very comfortable as well.

Re the music app, with WP Cortana can handle playing and skipping from the Band but yes, a dedicated music controller wouldn't hurt to have.

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My need for a dedicated music app is due to Music stopping all the time. I've got songs that, for reasons unknown, won't play (moved from Zune, no DRM Free) and, when these songs come on, the Music app stops playing which means I have to get my phone out and restart a new random set of music. In the winter, it's a hassle getting the phone out from under all those layers.

being able to just hit a play all button on the watch would be incredible.

Plus, I don't want to be spotted talking to my wrist in public.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Review of my Fitbit 3days usage vs Fitbit user for about a year and 40days with charge hr.

First of the band does take some getting use to but nothing to hold against it in the form factor it is. After using a Fitbit Charge recently the weight is noticeable at first.

It does everything remarkably well I really haven't tapped into all the resources yet but it is a wonderfully built unit. I had to make a screen protector because I read about the scratches but saw first hand how quickly they come. I haven't mastered the texting yet as I haven't had to really use it I suspect it will come in hand during the work week.

A couple of things that I am missing from my Fitbit is the automatic sleep tracking, I hope MS introduces this with a firmware update. Going to sleep for me is really not planned just happens so remembering to start sleep tracking was difficult with my flex (why I picked up charge Hr). Another thing that I am stuck in right now is that I have a pretty big Fitbit group and we do workweek challenges and such so I am wearing two devices now a band and flex (gave wife hr). And I am feeling a little odd (maybe too connected).

Step tracking so far has been less on band which is good makes me more motivated. As well as the heart rate tracking on both the Charge HR and Band are about the same for me. But I run very low 60s and mid 50's most of the time so I know it is relatively close.

I see a ton of potential for the band I am having my daughter photoshop a family portrait on the resolution of the band for a simple reminder that I am not just living my life for myself but I am also living for them. The true test for me on this device is how it holds up in my men's basketball games. I usually buy a extended warranty on everything and feel it may be needed for the band. I am going read some more on the band but I love it so far.

Sorry about the broken post just excited about a new piece of equipment and I am typing with my one yr old in my lap :) I would suggest this to anyone looking for fitness tracking but if they are integrated in with Fitbit (my experience) it will be hard to change because of app/social structure.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been sitting at my desk for most of the last 6 hours. I have walked to the bathroom once, which is about 30 feet from my office, and, maybe, a few trips to the printer, which is 15 feet away and, yet, I've taken close to 2600 steps, according to the band.

Did you calibrated your device first?

"turn GPS on and exercise or walk around, it uses this data to help determine what a step is for your personal device. In short, it helps to calibrate the device and accurately record your steps.

So if you have not turned GPS on (which you can do by selecting the Run tile, then starting a run), you need to do so now to make sure your device gets accurately aligned to your true step motion.
"
You need to calibrate your Microsoft Band: Here's how

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Kronus, I walk home from work each day, around 2.25 miles and the gps has been on for all but one of those walks.

I've had the band for about a week and today's step count, 2700. I have been in my office all day, with one trip to the bathroom and one trip to the deli across the street.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Kronus, I walk home from work each day, around 2.25 miles and the gps has been on for all but one of those walks.

I've had the band for about a week and today's step count, 2700. I have been in my office all day, with one trip to the bathroom and one trip to the deli across the street.

Interesting, maybe a rest wil fix it but you will use your steps for the day if you do a hard rest. Also try to Microsoft Band forums for more help as well. My band my friend is using isn't having that problem once she calibrated it. Because before I was holding it and the steps where going up, lol

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
well, your post reminded me that I had the gps on and the steps haven't changed much (I did walk around the office a bit) so, perhaps, the issue is resolved. I won't know for sure until I start over tomorrow but thanks for the tip.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
3 years with FitBit, and every time I mowed the lawn it added 7000 steps I'd have to back out of the software or else not wear it and lose the legit steps walking to the barn, etc.

MS Band didn't register a single false positive step. Wow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs