Install problems: Zagg screen protector on MS Band

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else find it impossible to apply the Zagg screen protector on their Microsoft Band?

I ran into two problems:
  1. Unable to remove the rectangular bubble around the edge of the screen
  2. Unable to remove the yellow guide without pealing off the screen protector with it

I followed the directions to the letter, but to no avail. And it's not like I've never applied a screen protector before either, so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions on applying the replacement protector? (I'm pretty sure the one I have is unusable at this point.)

Thanks!

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I ended up pealing the guide tap off the and applying the protector directly. I ended up with a couple finger smudges along the edge, so it doesn't look completely clean. Was thinking of going to the MS store and asking if they would give me a new one and apply it for me.

Waternut13134

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. Use a little tap water and rub the shield,this will remove the smudges. Don't touch the shield for about an hour to let the water dry.

richxps

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. Use a little tap water and rub the shield,this will remove the smudges. Don't touch the shield for about an hour to let the water dry.

Wow I have same issue mine has all dust and particles under it as it would not come off its backing, now how or where can we get a replacement because the ms store is over 1 hr away I would buy one if I can find it

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I had problems with mine, exactly as described and it seemed more than stuck to the yellow backing. I ended up driving IP to the MS store. D they gave me another one for free. Others have reported that the store will put it on for you and they seem to do it perfectly. Letting them do it ill also make sure you have a solid protector before you leave.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I might head back to the Microsoft Store. I think the main reason the rep didn't have my screen protector put on while I was there was because I showed up an hour before closing and they were busy tending to other customer with their shiny new Bands.

Meanwhile, I contacted Zagg customer support, which has been an interesting experience. First, you need to register the product, which you cannot do because the Band is not yet in their registration system. So, I sent an email via their support page. Based on the email from the Zagg rep, it sounds like they'll be sending me a replacement.

I'm not out to scam the system (e.g., get two protectors out of this). I'd just be happy to have one successfully applied to my Band.

Prime Radiant

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I had the employee at the Microsoft Store install mine. A couple hours later, after the bubbles disappeared, I noticed a big piece of dust under the screen protector. I took the protector off, under water I used my fingers to repeatedly pinch the screen and slide my fingers along it to clean it. I then shook it so that there was only a little water residue, then carefully reapplied it by starting with the "fins" on both sides of the sensors and using a credit card to slide down the remaining protector and apply it smoothly. Now it looks SO much better. There were some micro scratches after the Microsoft Store applied in, now there are none!

Upstate Dunadan

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Zagg protectors have ALWAYS been impossible to get on perfect. I've had them for past phones and other electronics gadgets. They are good, but hard to work with.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I hate these stupid protectors. Early on when I had the Lumia 900 I tried to apply it but it ended up with bubbles and just looking ugly. So I took it off and never used a screen protector on any smartphone since. I've only ever got scratches when I dropped my Nexus 5 glass first on a concrete surface, to be expected. However I make sure not to put it in the same pocket as my keys. I think MS really dropped the ball on this one. They should have had Gorilla Glass 3 edge to edge and had that as marketing point - scratch-proof screen. It's really lame that they're telling people to apply a ZAGG right away.

richxps

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone's band have some sort of slight bubble on the rubber part of the band? I can see it in a certain angles.

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this happened to me last night, too. The protector itself came off from the piece that it shouldn't have, then I was trying to apply the yellow part, not even knowing the protector wasn't on there. Then... things just went downhill from there.

I called ZAGG, they can't do anything. I called Microsoft store... they can't do anything. So... don't ruin your one shot like I did!

Lobwedgephil

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, this happened to me last night, too. The protector itself came off from the piece that it shouldn't have, then I was trying to apply the yellow part, not even knowing the protector wasn't on there. Then... things just went downhill from there.

I called ZAGG, they can't do anything. I called Microsoft store... they can't do anything. So... don't ruin your one shot like I did!

Mine did the same, need to go to the store and have them put one on.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
WOW... Worst... Experience... Ever... with a screen protector for this thing. I've done a lot of these over the years, and this was by far the worst. Mine separated from the yellow prematurely despite my being extra careful, and once i got it oriented, no amount of squeegeeing is getting rid of these bubbles. Anyone else have bubbling at between the surrounding plastic and the edges of the visible part of the screen? This doesn't seem rightWP_20141105_12_59_41_Pro (Small).jpg

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
First attempt was a disaster. Second attempt I rubbed it over and over for about a half hour, then peeled it off. Worked fine.

RSailer

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I attempted to install mine but it was a huge mess and I ended up tossing it and buying a new one from a Microsoft Store/Kiosk in the mall. They wouldn't install it for me and suggested I take it to the Zagg kiosk in the mall and maybe they would do it. I was able to get it installed there but I had to pay the guy to do it for me. Looks pretty good though so it was worth it based on how terrible it looked when I attempted to install it. He totally separated the protector from all the plastic, wet everything down and then applied it to the screen. Seems a dry installation is near impossible. Kind of sucks having to pay to get it installed but I was already starting to see small scratches after only 24 hours without one so I bit the bullet.

Final-MacGyver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I might head back to the Microsoft Store. I think the main reason the rep didn't have my screen protector put on while I was there was because I showed up an hour before closing and they were busy tending to other customer with their shiny new Bands.

Meanwhile, I contacted Zagg customer support, which has been an interesting experience. First, you need to register the product, which you cannot do because the Band is not yet in their registration system. So, I sent an email via their support page. Based on the email from the Zagg rep, it sounds like they'll be sending me a replacement.

I'm not out to scam the system (e.g., get two protectors out of this). I'd just be happy to have one successfully applied to my Band.

I installed mine no problem but I tried to register it as well because Ive found that most Zagg protectors only last a couple months before they start to peel off. Still not in their systems so I sent an email as well.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Zagg protectors have ALWAYS been impossible to get on perfect. I've had them for past phones and other electronics gadgets. They are good, but hard to work with.

Nah I have applied the older style perfectly on 50ish devices. Once you've done 4-5 you'll get the hang of it.

The new one however, is awful, and a lot harder to apply.

jandee

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I had to re-position it and now have finger prints under the screen protector. No bubbles and it looks nicer than some of the picture here. I just want to show it off but it looks dirty. :)

tafb

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have installed a number of screen protectors of varying sizes, and this one was pretty high on the difficulty scale. A few suggestions for those who will be installing the zagg on the MS band. I have generally had success installing screen protectors in a steamy bathroom (turn on a hot shower for few minutes and close the door). My understanding is that the steam will help remove dust particles from the air. I have also found it helpful to wipe down the the device and then blow off any remaining dust with a can of compressed air (the stuff used to blow dust off of electronics). Finally, I suggest finding something or someone that will hold the MS band in a vertical position (similar to the way a ring is held when it is place in a gift box). Part of what makes the zagg difficult to install is the balancing act between holding the band in one hand and while trying to align screen protector with both hands. It is much easier to install a screen protector on an object that lays flat (like a phone) because you can use two hands to align the screen protector and don't have to worry about also holding the object. The other thing that makes the zagg difficult to install is that you really only get one shot to get it right. The adhesive is VERY sticky. Once that sucker starts to stick to the surface, you will not want to pull it back up and try to re-align it, so make sure you get the alignment right on the first shot. I installed two of these zaggs today. I had trouble with one of them (the yellow sticky came off prematurely and a couple of spots started to stick before it was aligned). I had to pull part of it back off to realign it. It is on the device, but I can see waves/ripples in the zagg, which I believe is the result of having to pull it off. The second one went on another MS band with one shot and the zagg is clear as glass (no ripples or waves). My vote is for sapphire on version 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel