Does anyone know if the screen is plastic or glass? It feels like plastic to me.

Anyway, I tried to put the screen protector on when I got it, but of course as usual with these damn things I screwed it up and it was hanging over the edge, had tons of bubbles, and looked like crap - so I peeled it off and threw it in the trash.

Now I notice though on the screen that I have (very very very minor) scuff/scratch marks. Nothing deep and nothing you can see without looking really hard - but they're there.

I'm not overly worried about it - this thing will get beat up on someone's wrist 24/7

Anyway - just seems that if it was a glass screen it would be a little more resistant to these little annoying scratches.
    11-01-2014 11:45 AM
    Well, I searched the Band's specs and found nothing about the composition of the screen. It looks and feel a lot like my Fitbit screen which is plastic. I've carried the Fitbit for a couple of years (In my pocket) and it has a lot of scratches although not noticeable when the display is on.
    11-01-2014 11:56 AM
    I'm also thinking plastic. Over on macrumors someone facetiously coined the phrase 'scuffgate'. Seems fair! :D I haven't done anything with it, and already there's a couple of scuffs around the screen. No matter, as long as I can still read the display I'm good, but I do hope the next iteration will be more scratch resistant!
    11-01-2014 01:25 PM
    So the screen isn't Gorilla Glass? I can't believe MS went with a plastic touch screen. Obviously the Surface group did not design this device.
    11-01-2014 01:41 PM
    So the screen isn't Gorilla Glass? I can't believe MS went with a plastic touch screen. Obviously the Surface group did not design this device.
    Well no actually plastic was a good choice - as a watch owner they get banged/smashed on a lot of objects, and even with watch crystal after a while it starts to crack. Similarly, if you had glass it would shatter VERY easily (a thin, small piece of glass). My brother has a Pebble and it has a plastic screen - sure it's got loads of scratches but at least it hasn't cracked like some Gear Fits I've seen. They had to make a trade-off I guess (sapphire would raise the price way too high)
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-01-2014 01:57 PM
    What's the consensus out there? Are people using the screen protector? I'm not, but wondering if I should order another and give it another go....
    11-01-2014 04:05 PM
    What's the consensus out there? Are people using the screen protector? I'm not, but wondering if I should order another and give it another go....
    I'm not, I going for the busted up look.. :) I tried putting on the screen protector, but man, what a pain. I had one from the bad batch, where the yellow tape left residue on the protector. If you get one, have someone in the store apply it for you.
    11-01-2014 04:16 PM
    I'm not going to use the protector. I'll take my chances.
    11-01-2014 06:05 PM
    Protector looked awful. Pay the $19 (you are still within 30 days) and you can replace your band due to cosmetic wear.
    11-01-2014 07:00 PM
    Pay the $19 (you are still within 30 days) and you can replace your band due to cosmetic wear.
    Not unless you destroy it first - wear and tear is not covered. I did get MS complete, but the terms are actually kind of bad. They just add one month to the warranty. MS Complete does get you a free replacement if you break it in the first 13 months.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=wQGmvM6c
    Last edited by Joe920; 11-01-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    11-01-2014 07:09 PM
    The store manager told me cosmetics were covered but if I have to accidentally put a hammer to it to get a replacement then I will do so. Regular warranty does not cover accidental damage.
    11-01-2014 08:00 PM
    OK - I added the Microsoft Complete protection. For $19 bucks it's sort of a no brainer.

I'm kind of paranoid about it getting all scratched to hell now without the screen protector, but I suppose if it gets too bad it may have to .... have an accident and be replaced :-)
    11-02-2014 10:40 AM