Comfort

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting mine in a few days, just read Paul Thurrot's review where he called it "lead strapped to his wrists".

What have the others' experience been? Especially for people who don't generally wear watches or other fitness bands?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I stopped wearing a watch years ago (used to have a cheapo timex), just getting used to the MS Band. For me I don't mind having it on my wrist at all. The weight is fine, and to me it doesn't look too huge. The only downside is working at a desk: if you like to lean your arms on your desk or on one of those wrist supports, it's going to get in the way, especially with the screen on the inside of your wrist. The workaround is having the watch (c'mon, it's a watch) just off the edge of your desk, but I'm sure that's not for everyone.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's a little distracting, but not uncomfortable. I slept with it on, had no discomfort whatsoever.

It just requires an adjustment, mainly because it's solid and not flexible on the sides.

Wearing it on the underside of your wrist feels very natural and it's easy to read.

Unlike some, I haven't found it too heavy.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe in his opinion its a "lead weight" but I have no problems with how it feels. Making the screen curved would be a good change for v2 but after not wearing any kind of wrist device for 20 years I have no problem wearing the band. Wore it to sleep for the first time last night and it was fine. This is a personal device so its going to feel different to everyone, try it and judge for yourself when you can.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Paul needs to spend some time at the gym.

The weight is not noticeable. I'm not used to wearing a watch, so having something on my wrist takes some getting used to. But the comfort is not a problem.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I usually wear a Pebble watch, I replaced it with the Band. It felt a little awkward for the first day (screen on the inside) but after wearing it for a day I have completely forgotten it is there. I do agree it looks and feels a bit bulky and clunky, but for that amount of sensors they have crammed in this thing it doesn't surprise me. I also haven't had any problems sleeping with it.

Wear it for a few days and see how it feels, luckily Microsoft has a 30 day return policy if it bothers you.

Humhead

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
It feels heavy picking it up and putting it on. But its not heavy to wear. I've gotten use to it already. I sleep well with it regardless on how bad it says I'm sleeping.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The problem with a curved display is how do you properly interact with it? How do you do a swipe gesture on a curved display? Think about it. I think for v2, MS should include some kind of foam padding for people with bony wrists like me.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. My only worry is that my wrists are extremely bony, too. No padding on the wrists, no padding on the band. Wonder how it would feel.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Most people complaining about this are wearing it incorrectly. It's designed to be worn on the inside of the wrist, "upside down." When worn like this, it takes the perfect shape of my wrist.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense, but I am curious to know how the typing experience is, when wearing it on the inside. Doesn't the band bang against the desk surface/computer keyboard?

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. My only worry is that my wrists are extremely bony, too. No padding on the wrists, no padding on the band. Wonder how it would feel.

I suggest a strict regimen of Twinkies and Ho-Ho's plus lots of holiday food. That should take care of that bony wrist problem in no time flat. 😃

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I suggest a strict regimen of Twinkies and Ho-Ho's plus lots of holiday food. That should take care of that bony wrist problem in no time flat. 😃
Ha ha I wish it was that easy. With this diet I would probably get diabetes before I get fat 😁

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense, but I am curious to know how the typing experience is, when wearing it on the inside. Doesn't the band bang against the desk surface/computer keyboard?
It should not bang on the desk (you should have your wrists straight while typing to help prevent carpal tunnel). I am curious on how it feels in general since I have not had something on my wrists for a long time. Shall find out this week.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It felt odd for most of the first day. Since then I'm not aware of/don't notice it. In fact I hurriedly had to jump out of the shower yesterday evening to take it off because I didn't remember that I had it on. And the "weight" has not be a distraction or concern at any point.

Typing was and still is a bit of a concern, although less so since I put on the screen protector. And I find that I'm beginning to automatically place my wrist so that it doesn't hit the desk top.

It is still a bit awkward turning my wrist to press the buttons or speak a reminder to Cortana, but I'm getting used to that too.

An unexpected advantage of the Band is that it is helping enormously in stopping using my phone while driving. I was really bad at that but now I set the Band to only forward e-mails from VIPs and have Cortana remind me of things I think of and want to remember while driving. I haven't been tempted to look at my phone in the car in two days.

In short I think it's just a matter of getting used to having it on your wrist and using it to its potential.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can second some of these sentiments. It's an adjustment to wearing something on your wrist all the time if you aren't used to it, but it isn't uncomfortable. I haven't had any issue typing, though to be fair I'm using a pad under the mouse pad that the Band rests on usually.

It was a little uncomfortable while doing the dishes (which I realize I should have probably taken it off for since it isn't really water proof) but loosening it made it fit well.

One thing I've noticed is that it is sort of annoying that it doesn't have set tightness options, so to get it the exact same fit day to day is sort of hit or miss. You have to adjust it daily until it's comfortable since there is no way to see the exact position you had it in previously.

I don't know what was up with Paul's hate over at WinSuperSite, I would have expected him to eat this thing up - it's without a doubt the most forward thinking wearable announced or on the market.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm wearing a Fitbit Force and Microsoft Band on the same wrist and have no issues.

Everyone has their preference/threshold. For instance, I hate wearing ties/buttoned collars, they feel constrictive and I want to tear 'em off. Clearly, others have no problem with them ;)

For me, it does not feel any different than a watch, but it is really just preference and is equivalent to asking "are those shoes comfortable?"

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For me, it does not feel any different than a watch, but it is really just preference and is equivalent to asking "are those shoes comfortable?"
While walking around I'd agree, but while at a desk and wearing it on the inside of the wrist it's thicker and more rigid than any watch strap I've ever had. I can live with it, but it can definitely get in the way more than a typical watch would. Still like it though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs