In The Shower?

Raynne413

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone worn their band in the shower? I currently have a Vivosmart and I've had no issues, but I'd hate to take a shower with my new band on and end up bricking it!!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, don't do it. Use the shower time to keep it charged. :) It's like splash resistant but that's it.

I currently have the Vivofit and I love how I can wear it 24 hours a day and the darn batteries last a full year.

But yeah, don't wear it in the shower.

rlatarche

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The band is actually IP67 rated which is immersed in water of 1m deep for 30 minutes.

If it has that rating then it must be able to withstand a normal shower. A power shower might well be too much for that rating (IP68 would be better).

I struggle to understand how it got an IP rating of 7 and Microsoft say its only water resistant - by definition it is waterproof to a good degree, just not swimming proof.

Raynne413

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. My showers are generally about 5-8 minutes (and yes, I'm female LOL), so I'm not sure how much charging time I get, but I will probably use the time to give it a top off. :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. My showers are generally about 5-8 minutes (and yes, I'm female LOL), so I'm not sure how much charging time I get, but I will probably use the time to give it a top off. :)

Five to 8? Can you give my wife some pointers? HAHA. Figure in the time to get dressed and stuff and it's a few minutes more.

Being spoiled by my year long Vivofit (obviously no smart watch type functions) I've been trying to figure out the ideal times to charge. First world problems, I know. Though by the time I decide to pull the trigger they will probably be backordered for ever....

Raynne413

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Five to 8? Can you give my wife some pointers? HAHA. Figure in the time to get dressed and stuff and it's a few minutes more.

Being spoiled by my year long Vivofit (obviously no smart watch type functions) I've been trying to figure out the ideal times to charge. First world problems, I know. Though by the time I decide to pull the trigger they will probably be backordered for ever....

Well, my head is basically buzzed now (VERY short pixie cut), so that cuts a TON of time off. I can get ready for work in 15 minutes, now, shower, dressing, and makeup included. LOL

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying it any time soon. Like someone else suggested, use the time to charge it. You're not missing many steps or vital HR data during a brief shower.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, my head is basically buzzed now (VERY short pixie cut), so that cuts a TON of time off. I can get ready for work in 15 minutes, now, shower, dressing, and makeup included. LOL

Cool. Yeah, use those 15 minutes for a quick charge. Do not risk the shower. That's my advice anyway. :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Like you say, IP67 should be fine for a shower. Very hot shower water may be an issue. As may lots of chemicals (soaps).

Microsoft says not to wear it in a shower but I don't think it's a massive risk. Depends on how much it's worth to you I guess...

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is always playing it safe with their estimates, they tell you the surface 2 lasts 10 hours while in reality it can go as far as 14h at medium brightness, this is more on that strategy, surprising us instead of disappointing users, may be better that way, also a friend of mine who's got a lumia 925 says that under his own experience, it is completely water proof LOL

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
IP67 only certifies it for water RESISTANCE. And when they say water they mean ambient temperature water. Neither ice cold water nor hot water.

Also, water resistance ISN'T the same as waterproof. The Microsoft Band can get wet but shouldn't be immersed in water. That would require an IP58 or IP68 as found on Sony's Smartband Talk.

If I were you I would not use it in the shower.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
For me, the shower is the perfect time to put the Band on the charger.

However, I do wonder why MS didn't make this sufficiently waterproof that it can be worn by swimmers. I'm not a swimmer, but that would be a large customer base that would be more interested in the device. The device looks like something that could be made waterproof relatively easily, but maybe it's more complicated than I would expect.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
IP67 only certifies it for water RESISTANCE. And when they say water they mean ambient temperature water. Neither ice cold water nor hot water.

Also, water resistance ISN'T the same as waterproof. The Microsoft Band can get wet but shouldn't be immersed in water. That would require an IP58 or IP68 as found on Sony's Smartband Talk.

If I were you I would not use it in the shower.

You're spot on . This has exposed areas so I think even washing hands - well be careful.

I am a swimmer and rower - I was looking at the band but may now wait and see what the fit bit surge is like. It's rated for 5atms (50 meters) so one could snorkel if he wanted to. Either way the band shouldn't be submerged, especially in a hot and soapy shower.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Why would anyone want to wear such a thing in the shower?

I don't think it's a want as much as a possible convenience. I have the Garmin Vivofit which has a year long battery and is waterproof. I never, ever, ever take it off. Because of that I'll never accidently leave it at home like I do my work badge, smartphone, etc. :)

It's just one more thing to forget... that's the only reason, I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05