11-25-2015 02:59 PM
37 12
tools
    Has anyone worn their band in the shower? I currently have a Vivosmart and I've had no issues, but I'd hate to take a shower with my new band on and end up bricking it!!
    georgem1979 likes this.
    11-03-2014 08:19 AM
    Good question.
    11-03-2014 08:22 AM
    Yeah, don't do it. Use the shower time to keep it charged. :) It's like splash resistant but that's it.

I currently have the Vivofit and I love how I can wear it 24 hours a day and the darn batteries last a full year.

But yeah, don't wear it in the shower.
    11-03-2014 09:00 AM
    The band is actually IP67 rated which is immersed in water of 1m deep for 30 minutes.

If it has that rating then it must be able to withstand a normal shower. A power shower might well be too much for that rating (IP68 would be better).

I struggle to understand how it got an IP rating of 7 and Microsoft say its only water resistant - by definition it is waterproof to a good degree, just not swimming proof.
    11-03-2014 09:16 AM
    Thanks for the info. My showers are generally about 5-8 minutes (and yes, I'm female LOL), so I'm not sure how much charging time I get, but I will probably use the time to give it a top off. :)
    11-03-2014 09:18 AM
    Thanks for the info. My showers are generally about 5-8 minutes (and yes, I'm female LOL), so I'm not sure how much charging time I get, but I will probably use the time to give it a top off. :)
    Five to 8? Can you give my wife some pointers? HAHA. Figure in the time to get dressed and stuff and it's a few minutes more.

Being spoiled by my year long Vivofit (obviously no smart watch type functions) I've been trying to figure out the ideal times to charge. First world problems, I know. Though by the time I decide to pull the trigger they will probably be backordered for ever....
    11-03-2014 09:41 AM
    Five to 8? Can you give my wife some pointers? HAHA. Figure in the time to get dressed and stuff and it's a few minutes more.

Being spoiled by my year long Vivofit (obviously no smart watch type functions) I've been trying to figure out the ideal times to charge. First world problems, I know. Though by the time I decide to pull the trigger they will probably be backordered for ever....
    Well, my head is basically buzzed now (VERY short pixie cut), so that cuts a TON of time off. I can get ready for work in 15 minutes, now, shower, dressing, and makeup included. LOL
    tk-093 likes this.
    11-03-2014 10:40 AM
    I wouldn't chance it personally.
    11-03-2014 10:59 AM
    I'm not trying it any time soon. Like someone else suggested, use the time to charge it. You're not missing many steps or vital HR data during a brief shower.
    11-03-2014 11:28 AM
    Well, my head is basically buzzed now (VERY short pixie cut), so that cuts a TON of time off. I can get ready for work in 15 minutes, now, shower, dressing, and makeup included. LOL
    Cool. Yeah, use those 15 minutes for a quick charge. Do not risk the shower. That's my advice anyway. :-)
    a5cent and Raynne413 like this.
    11-03-2014 12:13 PM
    If you got the $19 coverage with it, it says it covers water damage...worth a try...lol
    11-03-2014 12:32 PM
    Like you say, IP67 should be fine for a shower. Very hot shower water may be an issue. As may lots of chemicals (soaps).

Microsoft says not to wear it in a shower but I don't think it's a massive risk. Depends on how much it's worth to you I guess...
    a5cent likes this.
    11-03-2014 02:50 PM
    Microsoft is always playing it safe with their estimates, they tell you the surface 2 lasts 10 hours while in reality it can go as far as 14h at medium brightness, this is more on that strategy, surprising us instead of disappointing users, may be better that way, also a friend of mine who's got a lumia 925 says that under his own experience, it is completely water proof LOL
    11-03-2014 06:25 PM
    Microsoft says not to wear it in a shower but I don't think it's a massive risk.
    This is easy enough. Just don't wear it in the shower. Not worth the risk of damaging it... I imagined it would be rated higher.
    11-03-2014 08:15 PM
    only one single replacement allowed though...
    11-03-2014 08:19 PM
    IP67 only certifies it for water RESISTANCE. And when they say water they mean ambient temperature water. Neither ice cold water nor hot water.

Also, water resistance ISN'T the same as waterproof. The Microsoft Band can get wet but shouldn't be immersed in water. That would require an IP58 or IP68 as found on Sony's Smartband Talk.

If I were you I would not use it in the shower.
    11-04-2014 06:14 AM
    For me, the shower is the perfect time to put the Band on the charger.

However, I do wonder why MS didn't make this sufficiently waterproof that it can be worn by swimmers. I'm not a swimmer, but that would be a large customer base that would be more interested in the device. The device looks like something that could be made waterproof relatively easily, but maybe it's more complicated than I would expect.
    11-04-2014 06:50 AM
    Why would anyone want to wear such a thing in the shower?
    11-04-2014 07:25 AM
    IP67 only certifies it for water RESISTANCE. And when they say water they mean ambient temperature water. Neither ice cold water nor hot water.

Also, water resistance ISN'T the same as waterproof. The Microsoft Band can get wet but shouldn't be immersed in water. That would require an IP58 or IP68 as found on Sony's Smartband Talk.

If I were you I would not use it in the shower.
    You're spot on . This has exposed areas so I think even washing hands - well be careful.

I am a swimmer and rower - I was looking at the band but may now wait and see what the fit bit surge is like. It's rated for 5atms (50 meters) so one could snorkel if he wanted to. Either way the band shouldn't be submerged, especially in a hot and soapy shower.
    11-04-2014 07:31 AM
    Why would anyone want to wear such a thing in the shower?
    I don't think it's a want as much as a possible convenience. I have the Garmin Vivofit which has a year long battery and is waterproof. I never, ever, ever take it off. Because of that I'll never accidently leave it at home like I do my work badge, smartphone, etc. :)

It's just one more thing to forget... that's the only reason, I think.
    Poirots Progeny and Raynne413 like this.
    11-04-2014 08:22 AM
    I don't think it's a want as much as a possible convenience. I have the Garmin Vivofit which has a year long battery and is waterproof. I never, ever, ever take it off. Because of that I'll never accidently leave it at home like I do my work badge, smartphone, etc. :)

It's just one more thing to forget... that's the only reason, I think.
    Exactly! LOL Especially since I seem to always be running late in the mornings and am always in a hurry!
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-04-2014 08:53 AM
    The microphone is exposed so it may not work until it dries out.
    11-04-2014 11:29 AM
    Exactly! LOL Especially since I seem to always be running late in the mornings and am always in a hurry!
    5-8 minute showers and you can get ready for work in 15 minutes but you worry about the time it takes to put a band on your arm?? ;)
    11-04-2014 01:16 PM
    5-8 minute showers and you can get ready for work in 15 minutes but you worry about the time it takes to put a band on your arm?? ;)
    Yep, 'cause it slows me down! I end up working out too long in the mornings, which causes me to be in a hurry to get ready and out the door! I'm a bit OCD. My poor boyfriend has to change all the tv and surround sound system settings before he comes to bed so all I have to do do when I get up is turn on my Surface and turn on the TV. Every second counts you know! ;)
    11-04-2014 01:24 PM
    I had a Nike Fuelband for almost 2 years and never wore it in the shower. It was able to withstand the water, but the screws were reported to started rusting so I played it safe. It was never a big deal to me.
    11-04-2014 02:36 PM
37 12