11-10-2014 03:23 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm hoping you meant to put a /s at the end of your post. I can't count the number of times I've responded on boards to people ignorantly stereotyping cyclists (arrogant, spandex-wearing scofflaws, anyone?) Do your fellow cyclists a solid and don't be that guy that formulates ridiculous stereotypes of others.

With respect to fun run medals, there is a simple explanation. A 5K includes many people right off the couch that are perhaps walking a good portion. There's nothing wrong with giving finishing encouragement to those folks. On the other hand, I don't see too many people off the couch completing a cycling century. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare a century with a trail half-marathon. Very rarely would you see participation medals in a race like that.
    I'll put half a /s at the end of my post, because I live in an area with tons of runners and cyclists. I've participated in both, with a couple 5Ks under my shoes, and the occasional non-race ride event over the years.

Of course there is nothing wrong with giving folks encouragement. Especially to those who just finished their first 5K. I somewhat get the points thing, to meet requirements for some races. What I don't get is the participation medal for every run event.

My point probably being lost in all of this, is that for whatever reason, running gets a lot more attention from companies cranking out trackers than cycling. Do we expect a cadence counter or even a mileage counter on our fitness trackers? No, because tracking those require additional hardware. But certainly the Band could have offered a non-running aerobic event mode, given that Microsoft HQ is located in the state crowned the bike-friendliest state for the last seven years.
    11-10-2014 02:35 PM
    I'll put half a /s at the end of my post, because I live in an area with tons of runners and cyclists. I've participated in both, with a couple 5Ks under my shoes, and the occasional non-race ride event over the years.

Of course there is nothing wrong with giving folks encouragement. Especially to those who just finished their first 5K. I somewhat get the points thing, to meet requirements for some races. What I don't get is the participation medal for every run event.

My point probably being lost in all of this, is that for whatever reason, running gets a lot more attention from companies cranking out trackers than cycling. Do we expect a cadence counter or even a mileage counter on our fitness trackers? No, because tracking those require additional hardware. But certainly the Band could have offered a non-running aerobic event mode, given that Microsoft HQ is located in the state crowned the bike-friendliest state for the last seven years.
    I agree with that, and I bet MS will add a cycling mode or similar mode as you have described. I really only objected to the characterization of runners as people with low self-esteem.
    11-10-2014 03:23 PM
27 12