realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I know the Band has workouts and tracking for running, but does anyone use it for cycling (real and exercise) and have any feedback? Does it have workouts for that?

Thanks.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You can use the running mode and get GPS data (map, pace, altitude) and heart rate data. Worked quite well except HR tracking issues at some points.

Edit: Oops, I guess you meant guided workouts. Not sure about those.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i'll wear on my rides but to get data i have my garmin cycling computer for the data collection
If you have it installed that sounds like a good idea. The built-in GPS on the MS Band seems to be quite good though, at least no long complaint threads on it yet. :) HRM on the other hand seems to have issues, not as good as typical chest strap recorded values.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get one at my local MSFT store on Friday (apparently they sold on Thursday and I bought the last one of the 5 they got for Friday). I held off a day because my knees won't allow me to run, and I bike instead. Mountain bike to be specific. The phone apps work OK, but will show various speeds/distances each time when compared to my computer on my bike. I saw a few reviews and even where MSFT said you could use it for biking, so I jumped. Really upset I didn't have time to ride this weekend and out of town for a week, so I won't be able to test it out myself for a while. Was planning on using the run mode though unless I see an article showing otherwise.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested in seeing how long the battery will go in GPS/HR mode for cyclists, as we are often out on the road for a few hours at a time.

foofighter#AC

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested in seeing how long the battery will go in GPS/HR mode for cyclists, as we are often out on the road for a few hours at a time.

I wouldn't think that long LOL, i learned to turn the device screen off or it'll be on the entire time and that helps conserve battery life as well

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I read it's around 5 hours in GPS mode. GPS kills every battery. No way around that. It is why I had both my Icon and 521 for extended bike trips because I didn't want to run the risk of a dead phone if there was an emergency.

pepperjohn

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Help page for run tile says (which I can't post as a link to because I just registered here)

microsoft.com / microsoft-band / en-us / support / health-and-exercise / running

When you?re doing an activity that covers a distance??like running, kayaking, biking, and walking??use the Run Tile on your Microsoft Band to record info about your heart rate, calories burned, and other health stats. Track a run or other activity

So that's the idea, track it as a run.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I have been biking around my city a lot this week wearing the band. I have had a huge problem with the band counting tons of steps (about 1000 steps per mile of biking). Even when I set the band to workout mode, it still counts all those steps. I am not sure if steps are used in the calorie count, or just heart rate + BMR. But it is annoying to have the step count wayyy off ever day. I get 8000-14000 steps per day due to biking, and honestly I barely walk more than a couple hundred yards on foot per day.

Otherwise, I havent used the GPS for my biking. I dont really need the data on the map and my bike has a computer on it for distance, average speed, and such. I also dont want to kill my battery. But yeah, biking is interfering with my Bands data collection.

bryanstew

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I called msft today bc I was also getting additional steps each time I was cycling. They said at the moment there is no way around it and that the band will still count steps while cycling. They also said that their engineers might create a "cycling" mode if enough people wanted it. They said the best way to get them to work on it is to have other people that want that functionality to call their answer center and tell them.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait for more cycling support.

I'm hoping my Cycle Tracks GPS will soon support the Band. Right now on my bike rides, I need to carry 2 GPS devices due to battery life (my 521 and my Icon). I can't just go with the Icon because if the battery dies and I'm in an emergency, I need to be able to call). One time, I was a few hours away from home and needed to make a call but my Icon had died. That really sucked.

But at least the GPS tracking is pretty good.

lbjfBgu.jpg

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I have been biking around my city a lot this week wearing the band. I have had a huge problem with the band counting tons of steps (about 1000 steps per mile of biking). Even when I set the band to workout mode, it still counts all those steps. I am not sure if steps are used in the calorie count, or just heart rate + BMR. But it is annoying to have the step count wayyy off ever day. I get 8000-14000 steps per day due to biking, and honestly I barely walk more than a couple hundred yards on foot per day.

Otherwise, I havent used the GPS for my biking. I dont really need the data on the map and my bike has a computer on it for distance, average speed, and such. I also dont want to kill my battery. But yeah, biking is interfering with my Bands data collection.

When you turn the GPS off, the Band presumes you are running (how else can you track something like cycling without GPS?) so it will attempt to register steps. You need to have GPS on in run mode otherwise it will think you are going for an actual run :p

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
When you turn the GPS off, the Band presumes you are running (how else can you track something like cycling without GPS?) so it will attempt to register steps. You need to have GPS on in run mode otherwise it will think you are going for an actual run :p

I am not turning GPS off. GPS is only on when in Run mode. I am using Workout mode (Since I dont care about geolocation or distance, only want to log it as a workout). The band doesnt assume anything. Also, it should be counting steps when running (right?). I am just insisting that when in workout mode, your calories are already being tracked via your HR, it doesnt need to add in the extra steps. If your standing there lifting weights, with your band arm going up and down, it shouldnt be logging steps.

My suggestion is to disable step counting in workout mode. And even better, I wish it would disable step counting entire, as for me, I take very few steps per day really.

foofighter#AC

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I did my first ride today with the band turned on in workout mode, didn't care for GPS location as I was using my Garmin cycling computer to do that stuff. What I was interested in was the HR count and to my surprise it wasn't far off at all. Avg HR on the band was 155 on the Garmin HRM Strap and on the Band it was 158. I'm satisfied with that

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I called msft today bc I was also getting additional steps each time I was cycling. They said at the moment there is no way around it and that the band will still count steps while cycling. They also said that their engineers might create a "cycling" mode if enough people wanted it. They said the best way to get them to work on it is to have other people that want that functionality to call their answer center and tell them.

Surely, Microsoft is not going to wait for us cyclists to call them enough before they support cycling. Cycling makes up a huge chunk of the exercise world. Doesn't make good business sense to me, but I'm just a consumer. :p

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a Band yet but cycling is one of my main recreational activities and something I would like to use the Band for. I really hope that Microsoft doesn't wait to improve cycling usage and functionality. I would really love it if Microsoft would work with Garmin to tie Connect into the new MS Health platform. That would be very helpful for many athletes, especially cyclists, since Garmin Edge computers are so prevalent in the cycling world.

Hopefully Microsoft will create a UserVoice site for the Band so that we can provide them more direct feedback on this stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb