Band in workout / exercise mode doesnt not count steps once completed

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So I have been a long time Fitbit user and love the new Band, but i just found one issue I see where you put your band in exercise mode (Elliptical) for a workout. Once done you end the workout and look at your stats but the step count never moves. So my 3 mile Elliptical workout still shows me with 2600 steps today. The fitbit would calculate and add those steps to the standard step count section. This needs to be fixed or no one will put their band in exercise mode.

anyone else seeing this?

Ken Nye

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that as well. I feel like with the Fitbit I walked about 10000 steps a day, with the Band I seem to walk only 5000 steps a day.
I don't know which is right, but I kinda think the band is better, cause I don't think I walk a pro golf course on a daily basis

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Try using run w/o GPS instead of exercise. This then incorporates steps into the daily total. I think exercise excludes because of things like weight reps which you don't want recorded as steps.
Which type of elliptical - arms or no arms? If your arms are stationary its not going to count either way unfortunately

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
This makes sense, why would you be counting your steps while you are tracking an exercise, the exercise is tracked, counting the steps would be doubling up. Tracking heart rate, calories burned estimated from the exercise is what is needed from that.

So I have been a long time Fitbit user and love the new Band, but i just found one issue I see where you put your band in exercise mode (Elliptical) for a workout. Once done you end the workout and look at your stats but the step count never moves. So my 3 mile Elliptical workout still shows me with 2600 steps today. The fitbit would calculate and add those steps to the standard step count section. This needs to be fixed or no one will put their band in exercise mode.

anyone else seeing this?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
This makes sense, why would you be counting your steps while you are tracking an exercise, the exercise is tracked, counting the steps would be doubling up. Tracking heart rate, calories burned estimated from the exercise is what is needed from that.

I've noticed this too and I'll say it's confusing.

For instance, I set my steps goal as 7k a day. Now let's look at my summary: It says I did 84% of my Step goal (5,880 steps), which is very accurate (Fitbit reported 5,665 for comparison).

The steps show up on that day in your step count, even if you put it into Run mode (I use it for LISS cardio). However, the next day, those results change and they look like this (2,760 steps), which is...well, weird. My 84% is now out of whack with reported steps...where did they go?

So the confusion lies in that it DOES count them for steps day of, but changes it the next day.

mon.jpg

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I think this might be an mobile app issue. Using the Android app it seems to count steps in both workout and GPS and keep them in the total. I'll keep an eye on it though and report back.

jeres88

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Odd, my band isn't having issues counting steps while in workout mode. In fact, I hit my goal very early in the morning yesterday since after starting workout mode I decided I felt like running on the treadmill instead of lifting weights. Looking back at Monday's step count and it is still the same for me. Is there a way to go back and look at the workout again in the app? I can look at today's workout, but I don't see a way to go backwards for a workout. Out of curiosity, were you using a guided workout? Just wondering if maybe that is what the difference is.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I think this might be an mobile app issue. Using the Android app it seems to count steps in both workout and GPS and keep them in the total. I'll keep an eye on it though and report back.

I am using an iPhone and my step count seems to be coming over from my workouts ok. I will also keep an eye on it, but I am wondering if this is a WP bug.

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Odd, my band isn't having issues counting steps while in workout mode. In fact, I hit my goal very early in the morning yesterday since after starting workout mode I decided I felt like running on the treadmill instead of lifting weights. Looking back at Monday's step count and it is still the same for me. Is there a way to go back and look at the workout again in the app? I can look at today's workout, but I don't see a way to go backwards for a workout. Out of curiosity, were you using a guided workout? Just wondering if maybe that is what the difference is.

You can view other workouts by clicking activity history.

jeres88

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I really hate the hamburger menus that are becoming more and more prevalent on Windows Phone.

Anyway, my workout from yesterday is still there. so it definitely captured the steps during my workout yesterday and everything still seems to be in place today. I'm wondering what the difference is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans