Restful Sleep insight - Share your sleep results

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
This is my first night tracking sleep with the band and the result is a bit surprising. I am not sure if I should be concerned or not. I tracked sleep previously with fitbit and that always tells me actual sleep time vs time in bed which would seem to match this, although I usually sleep less than this. I did sleep earlier for this night as I was tired so I did get more sleep than usual.

My concern here is the restful sleep of 2 hours. Is this normal or is this something to be concerned with? I will see how my sleep does over the next few days and see if this pattern continues. I am just not sure what to make of it yet.

My resting HR was 44.

wp_ss_20141105_0001.jpg

jandee

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure if that is normal. My results were in line with my expectations. Usually go to bed at midnight and wake at 5am. I was excited to go to bed early last night and test out the Band. :)

Nice to compare sleep patterns with random people on the webs.wp_ss_20141105_0001.jpg

d702

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Those numbers are pretty much in line with what I've been seeing.
Date. Actual sleep. Restful sleep. Resting HR. Efficiency.
10/30. 6h41m. 1h26m. 49. 95
10/31. 8h8m. 1h19m. 47. 94
11/1. 8h14m. 2h24m. 45. 93
11/2 had to charge, due to 5k with gps on 11/1
11/3. 6h33m. 1h29m. 44. 96
11/4. 8h43m. 2h48m. 46. 95

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
"Restful" here likely means estimated deep sleep aka Stage 3 delta waves.

We have sleep cycles, roughly every 60 minutes, broken into different levels. Stage 1 (light) Stage 2 (deeper) Stage 3 (Delta) then REM (dreaming).

The restful stuff is the core sleep needed and we get roughly 10-20 mins per cycle. However, most users go in and out of stages throughout the night in different ratios. For instance, we tend to get REM in the later hours of sleep instead of the early ones.

If you're sleeping 7 or 8 hours, then 2 hours of restful sleep is solid.

675px-Sleep_Hypnogram.svg.png

I'll probably do an article on this for the front page.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow thanks, I really appreciate your insight on this topic (looking forward for the article). Glad to know I am not dying lol. I have to give nose strips a 2nd chance, so my wife stops waking me cause of snoring.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far, this is an interesting topic.

jandee

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Now I am jealous that I am receiving half the amount of REM sleep than other users. I wonder how this is affecting my cognition during the day. :(

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Now I am jealous that I am receiving half the amount of REM sleep than other users. I wonder how this is affecting my cognition during the day. :(

Eh, I got 56 mins of restful sleep last night, which was more than ZERO the night before, lol. I average between 30-60.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
4.58 total, 33 min of restful and woke up 5x. I love having kids.

It's been interesting sleep tracking. I've always been a good sleeper, even after my restless daughter joined us. I seem to be averaging about about 1.5 hours of restful sleep in a 6 hour session. On Tues I had nearly 2 hours out of 6 restful. Averaging a 95% effective. So at least I got that going...lol.

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Below are snapshots of my sleep last night. Appreciate Daniel providing some insight on the stages of sleep and how they correlate to what we're seeing in the Health app. I have sleep apnea, so I was very curious to see how the Band measures my sleep quality compared to what has been measured at the sleep lab in the past. I wore my mask all night, as I do every night. I did not understand the periods of restful and light sleep. I thought maybe my mask wasn't working properly. Another thing I'm curious about is the heart rate the Band is measuring during sleep. For the past two nights, it has measured, what seems to me, a relatively high heart rate during my sleep. I know my oxygen levels are good--they've been shown to be good in the sleep lab and the doc has periodically sent home an ox meter to check. I don't know why else my heart rate might be up during sleep. Makes me wonder if the Band is just misreading (it's off during exercise compared to my Cardiosport strap). I know my heart rate was not 130 when I woke this morning. That's high enough that I think I would have noticed. Looking forward to Daniel's article on this. Seems like this is something Microsoft should be writing an article about.

wp_ss_20141106_0001.jpg

wp_ss_20141106_0002.jpg

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't have anything to add since I haven't been able to get a Band yet, but I just wanted to comment on dainla and jwpear falling asleep in ~6 minutes. I can't even get comfortable in 6 minutes. :)

originalstarlite

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I like the concept and the tracking results, but what about that heart rate sensor. I'm annoyed with that green light (under the covers for me right now), but doesn't it bother you?

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I like the concept and the tracking results, but what about that heart rate sensor. I'm annoyed with that green light (under the covers for me right now), but doesn't it bother you?

My band is tight enough that I barely see the green light. Also my understanding is that its not on constantly, but is taking samples throughout the night

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99