03-15-2016 08:06 PM
47 12
tools
    I got my band Saturday and I haven't even had the chance to calibrate it with GPS yet as it is too cold to run outside in Chicago right now. But I have done two 5k treadmill runs. Both were spot on in terms of distance and only 10 calorie difference from the treadmill machine. I am very happy with how it has been tracking my runs and my steps.
    12-10-2014 10:15 AM
    HR is way, way off. i was plodding along at 3mph and it had me up at 147. completely insane, that's double my resting. squeeze bars on the treadmill said 110, which seems closer to reality
    12-10-2014 10:19 PM
    well, I take this back. just did a 50-minute bike ride with the Band on my wrist and a Garmin heartrate strap on my chest. latter was average of 148, former was 150. very close.
    JDougW likes this.
    12-28-2014 10:32 PM
    also, Band did not register steps while i was biking, nice. my phone (Icon SensorCore) does
    12-31-2014 12:23 PM
    But I have done two 5k treadmill runs. Both were spot on in terms of distance and only 10 calorie difference from the treadmill machine.
    Wow, that is impressive! Frankly, I haven't tried using the Run function on the treadmill thinking it would be too far off to be usable. Prior to the Microsoft Band, I was using the Garmin 310XT GPS watch with chest strap and foot pod. The Garmin system worked really well, but I always fiddled with the strap. It always slipped down.

I'll give the treadmill run a shot with GPS off. Now if I could only get the HRM to be accurate.
    01-01-2015 11:44 AM
    ... I started increasing my speed from 6.1mph to 6.5 and it said my second mile was like at a 11:30 pace! Way slower than I was actually running.
    Perhaps it's confused by the change in stride length? As you ran faster you may have lengthened your stride, which could make the Band underestimate your speed. When running outside with GPS the Band may be able to correct for this.
    Last edited by Chris_Kez; 01-01-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    JDougW likes this.
    01-01-2015 08:25 PM
    I took my Band on its first treadmill run a few hours ago... Ugh....

So I used the Run mode, and made sure I turned off the GPS, but I didn't realize until about .3 miles into my run that it was waiting for confirmation from me to actually turn off the GPS... Not a great design move...

So ok, I lose .3 miles of my run, no big deal. So as I run I get the vibration for the first mile... and it gives me a 10:24 pace, when I actually run at about 8:30 pace. So I figure, I'll let it go and see what happens. So after my 3 mile run, I look at the Band, and it had measured only 2.15 miles! I would think that if I started .3 miles late, according to the treadmill, my run should have been approximately 2.7 miles, right???

I wore the Band on my left wrist, display on TOP of my wrist, and my arms were swinging as they would while running. Every .5 miles I would increase speed from 7.0 to 7.2, then back to 7.0, but I wouldn't think it would be that much of a change to throw it off that much... Right???

So then here is my question: why can't a run be edited???? Or am I missing something??
    01-06-2015 09:43 PM
    Well, I can't verify whether or not this is true, but I've read that you should be sure to do some walking and running outside with the gps on, because that is how the band calibrates your stride length. Don't know, but it might be worth a try. That, and I'm never really sure how accurately my treadmill measures distances, but I would think that it couldn't be much more than an estimation. I know some treadmills have a calibration procedure, but how do you actually test them for accuracy?

Edit: Sorry, missed the question, and its a good one. There is no ability to edit, or even add a comment to an activity!
    01-06-2015 10:16 PM
    A couple of things to keep in mind when running on a Treadmill.
    The band is not magic.
    You can't hold on to handlebar, it measures steps by movements.
    When running on a treadmill, it uses your steps to estimate distance with the help of stride length.

If you haven't calibrated the band by taking a run outside with GPS on, then it doesn't know your stride length and then the bands accuracy on distance (and speed) it depends on how close your stride is to the default on the band. Even after calibrating the band you might find that it still not accurate on a treadmill, since it will have a stride length for you, but you are probably not always using the same stride when you are running. When I slow down, I take shorter steps, and when I speed up I take longer steps.

Even after calibrating my band, its still not very accurate on the treadmill since I take shorter steps on the treadmill then when I did my GPS.

I'm considering to just use the Exercise mode when running on the treadmill, it will get me the data that it can measure somewhat accurately, pulse and calories. Maybe just use the 'name exercise' to keep track of the distance.

It would be nice to be able to edit the distance on the run exercise since I trust the distance from the treadmill much more than the one I get from the band. The minor problem would then be that splits would be of.
    jojoe42 likes this.
    01-06-2015 10:45 PM
    I'm not worried too much about splits, I just like accuracy. If it's off by 0.1 miles, that's fine, but when it's off by about a half mile, that's a bit too much. But also, the ability to edit the run in the app WOULD REALLY HELP!! (not like MS is listening...)
    01-07-2015 08:58 AM
    I have run multiple times on my home treadmill. Sometimes there information on the band is accurate. Sometimes is too short and sometimes the band is too long. Maybe I swing my arms more or less sometimes? Last night it was 3.0 miles on the band, but 2.4 miles on the treadmill. Ugh, a bit of a pain that its not accurate :(

P.S., I run plenty outside with the GPS on, so my stride length measurement should be accurate.
    01-08-2015 08:48 AM
    I have run multiple times on my home treadmill. Sometimes there information on the band is accurate. Sometimes is too short and sometimes the band is too long. Maybe I swing my arms more or less sometimes? Last night it was 3.0 miles on the band, but 2.4 miles on the treadmill. Ugh, a bit of a pain that its not accurate :(

P.S., I run plenty outside with the GPS on, so my stride length measurement should be accurate.
    Isn't stride based on speed a bit. On a treadmill you may have variable or different speeds so a fixed stride wouldn't work all the time. Distance will be off but calories (based from HR) should be accurate.
    01-08-2015 09:05 AM
    Isn't stride based on speed a bit. On a treadmill you may have variable or different speeds so a fixed stride wouldn't work all the time. Distance will be off but calories (based from HR) should be accurate.
    Stride does tend to lengthen with speed. Also, your arm swing gets a little longer and faster with your foot speed. Frankly, I'm surprised by the accuracy. My Garmin 310XT GPS watch needs the aid of an ANT+ foot pod to be accurate.
    01-08-2015 10:07 AM
    ......If you haven't calibrated the band by taking a run outside with GPS on, then it doesn't know your stride length and then the bands accuracy on distance (and speed) it depends on how close your stride is to the default on the band.......

It would be nice to be able to edit the distance on the run exercise since I trust the distance from the treadmill much more than the one I get from the band. The minor problem would then be that splits would be of.
    Is this true that Band has logic in is OS to "calibrate" to individuals??? If that's the case, why isn't there a calibration setup in the settings?

Yes it would be nice to have a manual override to correct the distance and store that data to be used in the future.

I don't run very often (simply don't like it) but I did run couple of miles on the treadmill earlier this week at 10min/mile pace (6 mph). The band indicated that I'd reached a mile in 9.19 instead of 10 minutes. However, when I have ran on a track (local HS stadium), my same pace got me through 4 laps in less than 10 minutes, which - I realize there are too many variables and not at all scientific measurement - made me think that the treadmill may not be all that accurate either.

So, if there really is a calibration of Band, I'll go and rerun the track to see if that's true...
    01-08-2015 02:00 PM
    made me think that the treadmill may not be all that accurate either.
    Seems like it would be fairly easy to measure the accuracy of a treadmill. Just use this and a stop watch.
    01-08-2015 10:22 PM
    I went to the gym again yesterday and this time on the treadmill the BPM was 30 less than what the treadmill hand bars read. I was wearing it a notch tighter than usual so I don't know if that made a difference or if this time or the previous time was just a fluke. Either way I'm no gym rat or health nut and I still love the band.
    01-09-2015 06:51 PM
    Is this true that Band has logic in is OS to "calibrate" to individuals??? If that's the case, why isn't there a calibration setup in the settings?

Yes it would be nice to have a manual override to correct the distance and store that data to be used in the future.

I don't run very often (simply don't like it) but I did run couple of miles on the treadmill earlier this week at 10min/mile pace (6 mph). The band indicated that I'd reached a mile in 9.19 instead of 10 minutes. However, when I have ran on a track (local HS stadium), my same pace got me through 4 laps in less than 10 minutes, which - I realize there are too many variables and not at all scientific measurement - made me think that the treadmill may not be all that accurate either.

So, if there really is a calibration of Band, I'll go and rerun the track to see if that's true...
    Early on a reporter had a trip to see the Band team and I do remember reading them say that the GPS was used to calibrate a users stride.

That said, all the website info says about the Band enabling advanced analytics, and so far that has to be seen... I don't know if anyone has evidence of a band calibrating a users stride, e.g. run before enabling GPS and then run with GPS and then run without GPS again and see if the distance is better on the third run (all on a clean band/account.)
    01-12-2015 12:03 PM
    Early on a reporter had a trip to see the Band team and I do remember reading them say that the GPS was used to calibrate a users stride.

That said, all the website info says about the Band enabling advanced analytics, and so far that has to be seen... I don't know if anyone has evidence of a band calibrating a users stride, e.g. run before enabling GPS and then run with GPS and then run without GPS again and see if the distance is better on the third run (all on a clean band/account.)
    My first run on a treadmill had my pace at around 90 seconds per mile slower than the treadmill said (9:10 vs. 7:30 minutes/mile). I then ran outside with the GPS on and it matched my running watch (Garmin 610) within .01 of a mile for the 2 miles before the battery died on my Band (left the stupid charger at work on accident). Today, I hit the treadmill again. It was closer (8:49 vs. 8:00) but still not where I'd like it.

At the end of my battery life using GPS, I was running a bit slower pace, 8:33, when it died. So, it may have used this as my baseline for calibration (not sure if it averages out a full run or takes the last .25 mile). Generally, when I'm running faster or slower, I'm really only adjusting the length of my stride, not the number of steps per minute (unless I'm at a full out sprint) so it might have assumed my 8:33 stride length in the calibration. I'm going to continue playing with this but I suspect it will rarely be very accurate if you alter your pace at all. I had the same challenges with the Garmin foot pod which essentially does the same thing.

The other thing I noticed on the treadmill is when I took the time to look at the band to get my pace, by stopping my arm movement enough to be able to read it, I noticed that my pace slowed down. The treadmill didn't change so clearly the less swing in my arm made a difference.
    01-13-2015 03:16 PM
    I'm pretty disappointed that this won't work on a Walking Workstation. I Guess I'll have to go back to the fitbit during the day...their arm bands measure steps on a walking workstation perfectly. Any chance this is on the horizon to be fixed soon?
    06-10-2015 10:50 AM
    I'm pretty disappointed that this won't work on a Walking Workstation. I Guess I'll have to go back to the fitbit during the day...their arm bands measure steps on a walking workstation perfectly. Any chance this is on the horizon to be fixed soon?
    As others have said, how can the Band measure your steps when it's on your (relatively) stationary wrist....the Fitbit (One) sit on your waist and thus registers movement.
    06-10-2015 03:23 PM
    The heart rate measurements were pretty close to what the treadmill reported. Not sure of how accurate either are.
    06-10-2015 07:37 PM
    I hold the handrails very loosely, just for balance, and I make sure my wrists move up and down while walking. My Band registers pretty close to the treadmill count. I've been using the exercise tile for the treadmill, and the Run tile for outdoor walks. Might try the Run tile with gps off.
    03-15-2016 08:06 PM
47 12