03-15-2016 08:06 PM
47 12
tools
    Just completed a 15 min run on a treadmill. Treadmill readings show that I went 0.5 mile, while the band only registers 0.09miles. The step count barely went up from previous step count. The calorie count was also half of what the treadmill was showing. The HR was pretty close though.

What gives? I was holding on to the treadmill handle bars during the walk, not sure if the hands have to be moving for it to register the steps correctly.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    11-08-2014 06:41 PM
    Pretty sure hands have to be moving.
    lizziej and kittengirl like this.
    11-08-2014 06:49 PM
    Yep, hands on the bar. Problem with all fitness devices, not just the band. The sensor can not count steps if there is no sufficient arm movement. Next time try to use Exercise mode, let us know if you see difference.
    11-08-2014 06:51 PM
    What gives? I was holding on to the treadmill handle bars during the walk, not sure if the hands have to be moving for it to register the steps correctly.
    That very well could be the reason. Pedometers count steps with the use of accelerometers, so if the device isn't moving in the way it would expect to be moved while taking steps, then it's not registering those movements as steps.
    11-08-2014 06:57 PM
    What mode did you use? I think "run" uses GPS for distance. As others have said, if the motion isn't what it expects, it's not going to do an accurate step count.
    11-08-2014 10:45 PM
    Thanks for the responses.

What mode did you use? I think "run" uses GPS for distance. As others have said, if the motion isn't what it expects, it's not going to do an accurate step count.
    Yes, I did use Run mode with GPS enabled. Figured I would try if the GPS works or not and it does... even indoors. The GPS possibly accounts for the wrong distance reading, but steps & calories should not have been affected. I will try again tomorrow with GPS off and also try exercise mode as was suggested. My wife's fitbit, that she clips to her belt, works quite well on the treadmill so would be a little disappointed if I cannot use the band on the treadmill.
    11-09-2014 12:21 AM
    My wife's fitbit, that she clips to her belt, works quite well on the treadmill so would be a little disappointed if I cannot use the band on the treadmill.
    The hips have motion that can be sensed by some devices. But if it's on your wrist and your hand is holding a stationary object, there's not going to be much motion to sense.

If you can hold with just one hand and let your Band hand dangle and swing normally, it should work. Or if you could use an elliptical with the moving handholds.
    jojoe42 likes this.
    11-09-2014 04:10 AM
    Fitbit works fine on the treadmill. I can't get any steps registered on my band when using my treaddesk. Honestly a pretty massive disappointment.
    11-11-2014 12:54 PM
    Fitbit works fine on the treadmill. I can't get any steps registered on my band when using my treaddesk. Honestly a pretty massive disappointment.
    This seems like a weird oversight. Theres no way to get the band to register a run or walk on a treadmill?
    11-11-2014 06:59 PM
    I went on a 4+ mile run last night on the treadmill and the band tracked it just fine. I did not hold onto the handrail. At the end of the 4 mile run, it was almost spot on with what the treadmill said. I have also gone on multiple 4+ mile runs outside with GPS turned on.

--abel
    11-11-2014 07:46 PM
    How do you set the band for your treadmill runs? Maybe some folks are doing it wrong.

I went on a 4+ mile run last night on the treadmill and the band tracked it just fine. I did not hold onto the handrail. At the end of the 4 mile run, it was almost spot on with what the treadmill said. I have also gone on multiple 4+ mile runs outside with GPS turned on.

--abel
    11-11-2014 08:29 PM
    GPS should be off on a treadmill according to the Microsoft support documentation. I ran on a treadmill tonight and the Band matched the treadmill data and my Polar HRM.
    11-11-2014 08:49 PM
    GPS should be off on a treadmill according to the Microsoft support documentation. I ran on a treadmill tonight and the Band matched the treadmill data and my Polar HRM.
    Thanks for the information. Did you hold on to the handrail?
    11-11-2014 08:52 PM
    GPS should be off on a treadmill according to the Microsoft support documentation.
    How do they advise turning it off? Airplane mode? Or use the "workout" tile rather than "run"? Because I don't see an obvious way to turn off just the GPS.
    11-11-2014 08:54 PM
    How do they advise turning it off? Airplane mode? Or use the "workout" tile rather than "run"? Because I don't see an obvious way to turn off just the GPS.
    If you select the "Run" tile and scroll left you will see GPS option.
    11-11-2014 09:09 PM
    Yep, hands on the bar. Problem with all fitness devices, not just the band. The sensor can not count steps if there is no sufficient arm movement. Next time try to use Exercise mode, let us know if you see difference.
    Buy a large and see if it will fit on your leg? That way it will register every step for sure.
    11-11-2014 09:34 PM
    Works fine if I keep it in my pocket while running on the treadmill or elliptical.
    11-12-2014 01:17 AM
    Step 1: On your Microsoft Band, press the power button.
    Step 2: Swipe left, and tap the Run Tile .
    Step 3: Swipe left to see Run with GPS (optional).

Tap to turn Off GPS for running on a treadmill.
    Tap to turn On GPS for running any distance.
    surfacedude, Hoekie and jwpear like this.
    11-12-2014 06:32 AM
    If you select the "Run" tile and scroll left you will see GPS option.
    Thanks. I wonder what the difference between run with GPS off and exercise is. Steps?
    11-12-2014 02:02 PM
    This seems like a weird oversight. Theres no way to get the band to register a run or walk on a treadmill?
    while you will not be able to monitor HR, just put it in your pocket, its working fine for me (have FB force, Band and lifespan treadmill desk)
    11-14-2014 08:49 AM
    I did an unscientific test today on a treadmill. I ran/walked - between 3mph and 6mph. The treadmill showed .5 miles, the band showed .45 miles. Not a bad variance for such a short distance. I imagine it would 'work itself out' on a longer run. I have used the band with GPS only once prior to this.
    11-19-2014 03:36 PM
    I think it actually gets worse over a longer run. The last treadmill run I did a few days ago, I started out at 6mph for the first mile and it was nearly spot on. Then I started increasing my speed from 6.1mph to 6.5 and it said my second mile was like at a 11:30 pace! Way slower than I was actually running. Then I decreased it down to closer to 6mph and then even down to 5.5mph to see and it was no better. If you keep your speed consistent, it seems to be more accurate, but it doesn't adjust for speed variances well.
    11-19-2014 03:55 PM
    It's entirely possible, even likely that the calorie count on your band was accurate.

Treadmill calorie counts notoriously overestimate, and by holding onto the handrail you're cutting the intensity of your workout by nearly half. Your band meanwhile is calculating the calories based on your heart rate, which is far more accurate in determining your calorie burn.

I hate to be the one to burst any bubbles, but if you run 0.5 miles on a treadmill while holding the handrails you are not simulating a 0.5 mile run or anything close to it. Factor that into your daily calorie counts appropriately and, unless it's a safety issue, let go of those handrails!
    Hoekie and Paul Stasik like this.
    12-06-2014 10:34 PM
    Excellent job
    12-09-2014 05:50 AM
    It's entirely possible, even likely that the calorie count on your band was accurate.
    not here. said i burned 500 kcal in a half hour on a treadmill. that's at least double reality.
    12-09-2014 09:46 PM
47 12