Step accuracy

kneeldug

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I found this problem exactly.
My fitbit flex registers around my real steps. I have this on the same arm as my Band.
The Band is at about 75-80% of the steps that the Fitbit Flex is.

I tested this by counting my steps while hiking as well as comparing the two on a daily-total basis.

RiftPoint

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd think the only way the device could tell which "stride" table to use would be the step frequency. But that raises the question about hills. On a hill I'd think you'd decrease stride along with step frequency going up but that may give a different result than simply slowing down on flat ground. The more I think about it, the messier it gets.

I would think it would be able to register step impact velocity as well as step frequency... and if you were able to cross reference it with heart rate was well you could probably determine workload in relation to elevation? I wonder if they can calculate forward momentum as well with the internal gyroscope...

Dima Habenko

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The band is much more aggressive filtering out nonsteps. Almost too aggressive. My Up24 registers steps when I'm walking and not swinging my arms while the band does not. Kind of annoying. They need to update it with the next firmware.

Not only that, but band also filters out very short walks. I noticed that my Band sucks counting my steps while in the office where I mostly walk from one conference room to another. FitBit was very accurate in that regard, filtering out regular arm movement if hips did not move, but counting each step I took to the precision. MS Band often looks like it falls asleep and the first 20-30 steps are not counted at all.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Not only that, but band also filters out very short walks. I noticed that my Band sucks counting my steps while in the office where I mostly walk from one conference room to another. FitBit was very accurate in that regard, filtering out regular arm movement if hips did not move, but counting each step I took to the precision. MS Band often looks like it falls asleep and the first 20-30 steps are not counted at all.

Yep. My observations exactly. It ignores your first bunch of steps before it "figures out" you're walking.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know. I had about 5000 steps when I went to bed last night. This morning, when I woke up, I had about 600 steps registered. Since then I have only added about 100 steps more. I don't sleep walk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos