So spoke w/ somebody today who shared with me that all of the MSFT Bands are coated by HZO.

HZO | Waterproof Technology for Electronics

From the HZO website:

"Devices protected by HZO can perform to the equivalent of IPX7 standards depending upon the device type and configuration to which they are applied. To meet this standard, our technology is capable of protecting full functionality at the standard depth of 1 meter for at least 30 minutes."

So not that I want to be the first one to "test" this (I do realize there are some qualifiers in the statement above), but if this is indeed true (the person implied it should be) then the device is likely more waterproof that Mr. Softy is letting on.
    11-12-2014 08:24 PM
    I don't think I'll test it. One poster had his display die after a shower.
    11-12-2014 08:34 PM
    I don't think I'll test it. One poster had his display die after a shower.
    Wow - I missed that post. I'll report back to the guy that shared the info w/ me.
    11-12-2014 08:54 PM
    Wow - I missed that post. I'll report back to the guy that shared the info w/ me.
    Tell that person that HZO should list the devices that use their stuff so people can be assured that a company isn't lying the same way Corning lists devices that use Gorilla Glass on their site.
    11-12-2014 10:00 PM
    if you go to microsoft band support page under "Microsoft Band product safety and water resistance" it shows this:
    Microsoft Band meets these standards for water resistance:

IP67: IP67 means protection against temporary immersion at depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes.
    IP6X: No ingress of dust. Complete protection against entry of dust.
    IPX7: Protection against temporary immersion (at depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes).

it should work :)

here is the support page link
    microsoft come /microsoft-band/en-us/support/safety-guide
    11-13-2014 02:48 AM
    Very interesting!

Though shame it doesn't have a 5atm water resistance like the fitbit surge, so one can actually get in the water and swim! I love the look of the band, and the notifications, but if one can't be in the water for long periods - that's an issue.

Would love to hear if someone rowed or swam 80 lengths of a 25m pool - you know, actually used it in the water to monitor great rate and such. Though I don't think people would want to risk the device... Maybe the next generation will take the fitness use features further?
    11-13-2014 02:57 AM
    Though shame it doesn't have a 5atm water resistance like the fitbit surge, so one can actually get in the water and swim!
    However, I think that's a static rating, and it's for pure water. Add dynamic forces involved in swimming,or soap (as in dish washing) and I think you may have a different experimental result.
    11-13-2014 03:21 AM
    However, I think that's a static rating, and it's for pure water. Add dynamic forces involved in swimming,or soap (as in dish washing) and I think you may have a different experimental result.
    Aye, you might be right!

There's a while yet, before these two are available in the UK, so I look forward to reading some good in depth reviews and seeing what does what.

I would love an all purpose waterproof wearable, with a hr function. Until then I'll keep my chest straps :/
    11-13-2014 05:33 AM
    I was thinking what about the small hole for the mic on the front... wont that allow water in?
    11-13-2014 10:28 AM
    I was thinking what about the small hole for the mic on the front... wont that allow water in?
    Providing its sealed in there then it's basically an air pocket. No water is going to partially cover the tiny hole, so no water should get in.
    11-13-2014 12:08 PM