TWiT 482: The Microsoft Shackle

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've listened to Leo Laporte for a few years now, and after listening to this last podcast I think I'm done. Podcast-Unsubscribe.

You would think this podcast will discuss the Band, but no let's talk about the Apple Watch every chance we get. A product that is unreleased, or let's talk about that Moto watch he wears, and continue talking about Apple this and that for the majority of the show AND title the damn podcast about the Microsoft Band with barely a mention of it.

How much of a barely mention? The entire podcast is 1:50, and they devoted 0:02 in talking about the Band centered around that Therot review before they went on to talk about the FitBit products. Yes, FitBit which used to capture phantom steps while I'm working at my desk. What about your Band? Go ahead, wiggle your arm and bang your fist on the desk - it knows you're not walking. As for the rest of these podcasters/bloggers, you guys continue spewing your uninformed MS bashing crap, because their audience just wants to hear the Apple fanboyism and laugh at any kind uniformed joke about MS products.

/rant

Band data: 20 calories burned, and heartrate elevated to 80bpm typing out this rant. :winktongue:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I subscribed to twit for a little while when I first got into podcasts. It was one of my first unsubscribes. 2 hours of tech news punditry gets old after a while, and biases tend to come out during shows like this. I haven't listened in years and I do not miss it at all. I like the twit network, but I think it's value is in the specialized shows: I listen to Windows Weekly and Security Now.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The only thing that gets on my nerves more than tech "journalists" is TV "news" "journalists" - quotes placed around these words because we all know that the stuff on TV is not "news" and a real "journalist" is objective instead of pushing an agenda.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I subscribed to twit for a little while when I first got into podcasts. It was one of my first unsubscribes. 2 hours of tech news punditry gets old after a while, and biases tend to come out during shows like this. I haven't listened in years and I do not miss it at all. I like the twit network, but I think it's value is in the specialized shows: I listen to Windows Weekly and Security Now.

Yeah, it seems like that show should be renamed to This Week at Apple. I have just sludged through it in the past because the discussions are sometimes interesting. It just seems worst now, and I've only been listening sporadically over the last year. I've listened to Windows Weekly, and the show seems so awkward. Maybe it's because Leo is forced to stay on topic that is Windows. I'll listen to another episode to give it another shot.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
All you need to know about TWIT and Windows Weekly is said in the title of this thread - The Microsoft Shackle. Leo's love of all things Android color every discussion on anything Microsoft.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The Tuesday after the Band came out, I was listening to their (fawning) Apple show, Macbreak Weekly. Nope, not a peep about the Band. I was rather shocked. Even as a chance for them to skewer Microsoft as a lunkhead, which that show loves to do.

I still like Leo and I pity him for his weekend radio call-in show; yikes some of the questions he gets from the masses. :grincry: But he does seem to be getting more anti-Microsoft these days. I think Windows Weekly is better now when Father Robert Ballecer hosts or back when Iyaz Akhtar (who has fled to CNET) use to fill-in.

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I think Windows Weekly is better now when Father Robert Ballecer hosts or back when Iyaz Akhtar (who has fled to CNET) use to fill-in.

Agreed. However, I don't agree with all the hate Leo gets in the comments of the WW YouTube channel.

Can any of you suggest any other podcasts similar to Windows Weekly and What the Tech?

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. However, I don't agree with all the hate Leo gets in the comments of the WW YouTube channel.

Can any of you suggest any other podcasts similar to Windows Weekly and What the Tech?

I suppose now is a good time to suggest the podcast from our very beloved WindowsCentral. :grincry:

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't listen to TWiT mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Leo Laporte's voice. It doesn't really surprise me that they skipped right over the Band. I do listen to Windows Weekly and What the Tech though because I usually enjoy Paul Thurrot and MJ's take on things. Paul can be very opinionated, but I usually agree with him, so it isn't an issue. But, his review of the Band on WW was pretty harsh. I mean, it has its problems, but overall it is a great device. Maybe it is just because he is used to a Fitbit. This was the first real topic that irked me about him. (Saying the 1520 is too big came pretty close though) He even went so far as to say Daniel Rubino is "a little too excited" for the Band. Maybe Paul just isn't excited enough. One of his complaints was that it does too much. That is a terrible, terrible complaint. I'll give him the size, especially compared with a fitbit, but the functionality is in no way a con.
/rant

Sorry this has pretty much nothing to do with the title of this thread. I started typing and it is what it is. :)

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Paul Thurrott... and consequently Leo Leporte have absolutely no business writing or talking about a FITNESS device. Unless it somehow can calculate the best flavored Beer and Donut. Nuf said.

With regard to this thread... What do you want for nuthin ? Your money back..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire