Steps not tracking to calories

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I think the algorithm needs to be tweaked for steps to calories. Tuesday I didn't workout and took only 6,982 steps according to the band. This calulated to 2,191 calories. Thursday I went 20,224 steps (none tracked in workout mode) and the app reports 2,225 calories.

I have no doubt that 14,000 steps translates into more than 34 calories. The steps for Thursday were also strenuous (hiking with a pack) so I know I burned a lot more. I didn't want to count it as a workout, but assumed (hoped) the band would figure out the extra work. If someone from MS trolls this forum, please take note.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I don't think steps translates to calories. It's Heart Rate that translates to calories. You might want to compare your HR graphs between the two days.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
True, but steps (activities) equals heart rate increase = calories.

Just to be clear, I don't think steps are used to calculate calories. So I'd look at your heart rate chart to see what's going on. If you wore the Band too loosely to get a HR reading on the hike, then you wouldn't have gotten any calorie credit for the hike.

Some of us are having trouble in that area trying to find the best position to give us an accurate reading.

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Just to be clear, I don't think steps are used to calculate calories.

You might be correct there. I observed elsewhere that it does seem to underestimate my calories on non-workout days. I think that is an oversight that should be corrected. It did track my HR during the hike (showing it 20-25 bpm higher then normal), but the adjustment for that seems minimal. I did not turn it on run, or workout since I knew it was going to be 4-5 hours and didn't want to kill the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss