In between sizes

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I went to the local Microsoft Store grand opening (way too much fun. You have to go to one if you've never been) and tried on the Medium and Large Bands.
The Medium is a tad too tight, and the Large is a tad too big.
I ended up going with the large, but now I'm getting annoyed by the thing sliding up and down my wrist.
Is anyone else here in between sizes? And if so, what did you do?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I went to the local Microsoft Store grand opening (way too much fun. You have to go to one if you've never been) and tried on the Medium and Large Bands.
I ended up going with the large, but now I'm getting annoyed by the thing sliding up and down my wrist.

I was thinking about thisif I managed to grab hold of one and it was too big...I was thinking wrap the battery packs in black duck tape round the sides or in some material....so that none of the sensors are blocked and it nets you a tighter fit. Call it a bad idea if you want :p but it's just a thought

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Silly question, but are you sure the medium you tried was really a medium?

pkadare

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but you do know that they are adjustable to a certain extent. The slot on the band where the catch snaps in allows for what looks to be slightly over an inch in adjustment (I don't have a ruler handy to measure the slot.

joora

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I was beween M and L, but I opted for the M, because I prefer to wear watches a bit more tightly. Don't regret the decision, as the heart monitoring works better if the Band is fixed in place. I try to alternate the hands every couple of hrs to let the skin breathing. Problem is that the size is perfect on the left hand, but a tight fit on the right, so the difference in wrist size between hands should also be taken into account when choosing the size.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was beween M and L, but I opted for the M, because I prefer to wear watches a bit more tightly. Don't regret the decision, as the heart monitoring works better if the Band is fixed in place. I try to alternate the hands every couple of hrs to let the skin breathing. Problem is that the size is perfect on the left hand, but a tight fit on the right, so the difference in wrist size between hands should also be taken into account when choosing the size.

I went the same way, was between M and L and went with the M since I really don't like loose fitting watches and I believe, as you mentioned, the HR monitor would work better with the Band stationary.

I don't switch between arms and after about three days, it became very comfortable. I don't regret going with the medium at all as I think I would have been unhappy with the large.

-Skippy

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm comfortable with a Medium on its smallest, but a Small on its largest is too tight.

I just need to make sure my wrists don't get any smaller, haha.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine based on the fit sheet online. The recommendation was if it's borderline, go with the next size up. When I got the large band I was always on the tightest setting and it occasionally got too loose and would move around. I got it exchanged (pure luck I got the replacement in time before stock ran out). I am smack on the middle setting on the medium band now. Guess it depends on overall shape of your wrist and I can see that neither large, nor medium may work for some.
cheers

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
How can you be between sizes? That means the medium, completely closed is too tight, and the large completely closed is loose? There's really no overlap? That seems odd. Maybe you tried a large and small.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I read a review on the Band recently where the guy measured the size of a large and a small at fully 'open' and fully 'closed' and the measurement of the large fully 'closed' was the same as the small fully 'open' so there seemed to be some overlap. Obviously you have tried them on and noticed a difference and I haven't even seen one in person so I have no idea but I thought I'd pass on the info anyway. I'll see if I can find the review link.

EDIT: Reading other posts here there's plenty of people with this same issue so I don't know what that guy in the review was talking about. It seems the sizing is quite different between the small, medium & large.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
the guy measured the size

I'd be curious as to what kind of measurement he took. Due to the fact that the band is rigid on 3 sides, that's not a simple question. I don't think circumference is the answer. For me the controlling aspect is the "height", but if your wrist is flatter, it could be width.

That said, I have traded my medium for a large. What was mid-point on the medium is now all the way closed on the large.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd be curious as to what kind of measurement he took. Due to the fact that the band is rigid on 3 sides, that's not a simple question. I don't think circumference is the answer. For me the controlling aspect is the "height", but if your wrist is flatter, it could be width.

That said, I have traded my medium for a large. What was mid-point on the medium is now all the way closed on the large.

that is why MS Store lets you print out a sheet at 1:1 to measure the height of your wrist. Agreed that it's not a simple measure of circumference. The curvature at the straight part is different (I had both large and medium). People will have different gaps within the rigid parts and it all depends on the shape of your wrist as I mentioned above.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So maybe you guys can help me with sizing. My sister in law is in the US for a couple of days right now and was going to get me a medium size Band but they are sold out and the only one left is large. I've measured my wrist as best I can, taking multiple measurements, and came up with this.
General Stats: 6'1" (186cm), 167lbs (76kg) & quite lean
Wrist Height: 41mm to 45mm (that covers 2" from right at base of hand back towards elbow)
Wrist Circumference: 174mm to 185mm (same 2" from base of hand back towards elbow)

I plan to wear the Band with the screen on the inside of my wrist.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett