Do I need GPS ON run?

David Mathews2

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
When I go for a run and have the GPS off on band but take my iPhone along do I get the same results and displays as I do using GPS on? Trying to save battery life. This if wife's watch so can't try it myself.

David Mathews2

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks that what I figured but since it won't fit me and I don't want her to think I'm trying to over see her and have her lose interest in it.

pkadare

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Except for updates and phone notifications, communication between the band and your phone is one way, Band to Phone.

Yossarian2014

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I've used my band on 20+ runs now and have never managed to have the GPS work. Every time I enable GPS but it just it says 'searching for GPS', I go for my run then when I return and synch with my phone app it doesn't display the route and says 'turn on GPS to show route map'.

I am guessing it never acquires a GPS as using Map My Run on my phone as well as the band, Map my Run consistently shows approx. 1/2 mile less distance every 3 miles ran which I believe over the band's reported distance.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I've used my band on 20+ runs now and have never managed to have the GPS work. Every time I enable GPS but it just it says 'searching for GPS', I go for my run then when I return and synch with my phone app it doesn't display the route and says 'turn on GPS to show route map'.

I am guessing it never acquires a GPS as using Map My Run on my phone as well as the band, Map my Run consistently shows approx. 1/2 mile less distance every 3 miles ran which I believe over the band's reported distance.

I've done several runs with GPS on. Sometimes it locks immediately. Other times, it locks within the first 0.25 miles. It's inconsistent. My phone, however, locks immediately every single time. If the band locks, it is usually pretty close to what my phone tracks.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've done several runs with GPS on. Sometimes it locks immediately. Other times, it locks within the first 0.25 miles. It's inconsistent. My phone, however, locks immediately every single time.

GPS needs to see sky. Lots of sky. If you're in a city, it may not lock due to the high rises blocking too much sky.

Even if you can see lots of sky, some days it just doesn't work - a low mountain may block a critical satellite, and the remainder are in a line so the GPS can't triangulate the position.

Phone GPS is probably AGPS - it uses it's data connection to download data and get an idea of where it is. That greatly speeds up the time it takes. I don't know as the Band has that advantage.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
GPS needs to see sky. Lots of sky. If you're in a city, it may not lock due to the high rises blocking too much sky.

Even if you can see lots of sky, some days it just doesn't work - a low mountain may block a critical satellite, and the remainder are in a line so the GPS can't triangulate the position.

Phone GPS is probably AGPS - it uses it's data connection to download data and get an idea of where it is. That greatly speeds up the time it takes. I don't know as the Band has that advantage.

Yea, I don't know much about GPS. It's just what I noticed between the Band and my phone. I'd say for the most part, the Band connects fairly quickly.

DenMag

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
So I've tried using the Run function with GPS the last two days and it's not bad. Does take awhile to acquire GPS signal so I missed about 1/2 a mile today. I normally use Runtastic on my phone to track my runs since I have it on me for music/podcasts so this would be my normal tracking method. Using the GPS is definitely the biggest battery drain that I've seen and since it's meant for when you don't want to use another GPS capable device like your phone, I'll probably keep it turned off going forward.

I still want to track my run and see the heart rate but, am curious as to how the data will sync between Runtastic which talks to MyFitnessPal and Microsoft Health, that talks to the same app. If Microsoft can work and get the data integration to report reliably to at least one central point then we can claim a win.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3