Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
12-27-2016 06:28 AM
118 12345
tools
    I have exactly the same symptom, the bumps that appear on the GSR sensor as you guys have. Makes charging the Band extremly difficult ;(

Problem is I'm in Germany, you guys think I can send it to MS in the US and they send a replacement to Germany?
    As long as you use a shipping forwarder in the US to post/ship to then they should honour it
    03-13-2015 03:38 PM
    As long as you use a shipping forwarder in the US to post/ship to then they should honour it
    Well I had a friend buy one in a brick and mortar store and send it to me... I planned to send it to MS and hoped they send the replacement straight to me...
    Is there a timeframe after the date of purchase, where I can actually get a replacement?

I clean it every day with a q-Tip and water, but seems to be getting worse...
    03-14-2015 08:05 PM
    Well I had a friend buy one in a brick and mortar store and send it to me... I planned to send it to MS and hoped they send the replacement straight to me...
    Is there a timeframe after the date of purchase, where I can actually get a replacement?

I clean it every day with a q-Tip and water, but seems to be getting worse...
    Assuming you haven't done anything else funky with the Band to get those bumps, the standard one-year warranty should work. Just get in touch with MS to start the return process and explain your situation with them.
    03-15-2015 03:29 AM
    Well, I noticed a rash on my arm this morning, just the inside of my wrist, back side of the screen rests there. I looked at the Band itself and saw the metal corroding on both sides. That corrosion should be addressed now that MS has released the product (which I ADORE) into the wild--Best Buy, Target, Amazon, etc. I'll contact MS to arrange a replacement.
    03-31-2015 11:18 AM
    I was getting some light rashing for the first 3 or 4 weeks of wearing it but it's started to get much better. Have a feeling your skin just needs to get used to it
    04-01-2015 09:16 AM
    Hi, just a quick follow up question. Do I have to go through the whole live agent process or is there like an email adress i can write to and send the pics from my band with in order to get the whole process started?

Thats how my Band looks:
    img_0490.jpgimg_0492.jpg
    04-19-2015 06:23 AM
    My heart rate monitor sensor was starting to look like that, too. I went to the MS store near me (still 90 min away) yesterday for a replacement. I hope the new one doesn't have the same issue....
    04-19-2015 06:30 AM
    All brands of smartwatch, fitness bands, watches with man made materials WILL effect some humans and animals - this is a fact and nothing is going to change it. Just the same as some people are allergic to certain natural materials - wool, cotton, leather, etc.

No amount of complaining is ever going to change the fact that humans (just like technology) are not perfect ;-)
    04-19-2015 09:03 AM
    I'm glad I found this article after a Google search I was worried it was just me. The pictures below show how the rash is currently after keeping the watch off that arm and now that the redness is starting to calm down.

wp_20150420_16_19_12_pro.jpgwp_20150420_16_19_44_pro.jpg

Swapped arms as the first few days was wearing to track sleeping but when seeing the rash stopped doing that and only been wearing during the day. Only got this last Wednesday afternoon. Its the (UK) small version and I tried wearing both ways on the wrist with the rash.

No workouts as of yet just day to day use and no known allergies but will have a look at the band after seeing the pictures and comments about the bumps and corrosion. So far the other wrist is fine after a few days usage but taking off in the evenings.

I have tried to keep the wrist with the rash as clean as possible and have been using Germolene to reduce the redness and to aid healing.
    Last edited by leigcker; 04-20-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    04-20-2015 10:53 AM
    A few things that really helped me, leigcker, (as the OP) was to really wash my wrist and forearm in the shower where I'd be wearing my Band and wearing the Band looser than I typically would. Other than that, just time will make it go away as your skin gets used to it. Best of luck and hope it disappears quickly!
    04-20-2015 01:24 PM
    Contacted Microsoft today and have been told will be in contact with me again within the next 2 days (Rapid Response Team) to get more info and investigate further. I did in the meantime have it on the other wrist but bumps (not red and no where near as bad) have started developing so have removed for now. I will let u know more as I learn of any new info.
    04-21-2015 05:54 PM
    I hope this isn't a wide-spread issue like Fitbit Force's model!
    You might suffer the same symptoms from other devices made of similar materials. My mum is only able to wear gold jewellery, other metals cause irritation. I'd suggest asking Microsoft to confirm what material has been used in the area you're seeing a reaction to and getting tested for an intolerance.
    04-21-2015 06:10 PM
    You might suffer the same symptoms from other devices made of similar materials. My mum is only able to wear gold jewellery, other metals cause irritation.
    On the other hand, I can wear anything BUT gold. Cheap nickel jewelry? No prob. Gold? Rises welts and blisters. I suspect my issue with the FitBit Charge was due to what looked like gold plating on the charger contacts -- I got twin blisters there.

We're all different, leigcker, and if you can't wear the Band, that doesn't mean you won't be able to wear another product. I would suggest giving your skin time to heal in between products.
    04-22-2015 05:23 PM
    I think I am going to do what I have done in the past and what my wife does on her watches and such.

I'll mask off the contact points and areas that need to be clear and put a thin layer of clear nail polish on the rest of the metallic parts.

I'll let you know how that goes. :D
    04-28-2015 02:13 PM
    photo-29-04-2015-08.38.jpg

This is mine that I just noticed today.. the band had been a bit itchy for a few days but I never thought to look at my wrist.
    Googled, and got this forum.
    I'll try the Clean & Care advice and the switching wrists while sleeping (good idea) and see how it goes.
    04-29-2015 02:40 AM
    I wanted to post one last update as the OP. Between getting a brand new Band (replaced free-of-charge under Microsoft Complete Care), listening to the suggestions from posters here, and general use, my wrist and forearm are rash and bump free!

If anyone else has been getting a rash and/or bumps, I will outline a few of the suggestions that I believe really helped me.
    1.) Getting a new Band - whether or not the original Band was causing it, idk, but the bumps went away after 2 days with the new Band. Rash remained for quite a while though. This will ensure that whatever is causing the irritation to dissipate quickly.
    2.) Switching off wrists when sleeping - this may cause irritation on other arm (it did for me initially with original Band; went away when I got a replacement Band)
    3.) Cleaning the Band with 91% alcohol you can purchase at local convenience store
    4.) Cleaning the wrist and forearm where the rash/bumps appears with soap and water multiple times a day until it disappears
    5.) Time - I think this was the kicker for most of it, my skin just had to get used to the Band being worn for so long.

If anyone has any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    05-03-2015 12:26 PM
    yes... I had a replacement for other issues... and with the new one the rash started few days after I got it same as the old one
    05-05-2015 11:58 PM
    I developed small bumps / rash on the inside of my wrist where the GSR / charger port is located.
    It was due to sleeping with the band and and being too tight on the wrist. After changing the tightness, it got better and now it's pretty much non existent. The only issue I have from time to time is that it just starts to itch and then I have to take the band off and let some air on the wrist.
    I have pretty sensitive skin that develops a rash and bumps quickly when I'm sweating and it can't properly dry off so it's fine.

But there is no issue with any metal / rubber allergies, so I'm happy for that. Hope you guys clean your Bands when charging. I clean mine with a wet napkin before charging so the contacts don't corrode or start to bubble up.

Regards,
    05-06-2015 03:05 AM
    I did not develop a rash or anything, just have those bumps on the GSR Sensor and the HR Sensor. Hopefully now that they sell the Band in the UK, I can get mine exchanged more easily (from Germany), even so it was bought in the US
    05-06-2015 11:55 AM
    Bought mine in US 2 months ago. Living in Belgium. also got bumps on metal around charging port and HR sensor.

just logged on to band support page, filled in description of issue and my Belgium shipping address and Voila, printed a label to drop-off package in any Belgian post office to get it shipped and serviced/replaced.

Should not be an issue for Germany. just make sure you do not select "physical damage" as description. chose "other" and provide proper description.
    Penecho likes this.
    05-07-2015 07:50 AM
    Bought mine in US 2 months ago. Living in Belgium. also got bumps on metal around charging port and HR sensor.

just logged on to band support page, filled in description of issue and my Belgium shipping address and Voila, printed a label to drop-off package in any Belgian post office to get it shipped and serviced/replaced.

Should not be an issue for Germany. just make sure you do not select "physical damage" as description. chose "other" and provide proper description.
    Did you get yours back already? How long did it take (I can't live without the band :P)? Mine arrived today at the service center, if I recall correct I read that it shouldn't take more then 7 days to get a replacement...

And the better question is, how can we make sure that does not happen to the new band aswell? I was cleaning mine almost every day with a Q-Tip and some water, but it happened anyways...
    05-12-2015 12:47 PM
    Did you get yours back already? How long did it take (I can't live without the band :P)? Mine arrived today at the service center, if I recall correct I read that it shouldn't take more then 7 days to get a replacement...

And the better question is, how can we make sure that does not happen to the new band aswell? I was cleaning mine almost every day with a Q-Tip and some water, but it happened anyways...
    Don't use straight water to clean the Band. Try to use 91% rubbing alcohol that you can get at any convenience store. Regular water will corrode the little metal pins and other parts.
    05-12-2015 05:25 PM

can't answer your first part. I am in the US. I got the bumps as well after several months. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the band after working out. I was able to get it replaced and by temporarily charging my CC for the price of the Band I got the replacement before I shipped the old one. Not sure if that is an option for international.

With my second band I am already seeing bumps again after two months, mostly on the sensor side, not the charging part. I'm afraid this is related to my sweat and it will happen again. For now I live with the bumps and just ignore them. If they get out of band, ahem, hand, I will replace again.

Don't use straight water to clean the Band. Try to use 91% rubbing alcohol that you can get at any convenience store. Regular water will corrode the little metal pins and other parts.
    sorry, but anybody using water should be fine after drying it. Even your 91% rubbing alcohol contains water. Your skin is constantly perspiring. Water is not the reason why bumps occur, otherwise the problem would occur for everybody. I've been using rubbing alcohol all along. I think it's the salt from the sweat that causes it for some people. Depending on your diet and medication you may take there could be all kinds of weird stuff in sweat.
    05-12-2015 06:20 PM
    I'm having the same issue :( Going to try switching to my other wrist for a while
    05-15-2015 08:07 AM
    I have to say, the exchange was super quick. I dropped the package of at the UPS store monday morning and got my new one today (plus thursday was a national holiday here in Germany), so I am positively surprised how quick that went (seems they have some in storage in Germany even so the Band is not oficially sold here^^)

Only negative thing, I didn't get my screen protector back/a new one (maybe my fault since I left it on the Band I sent in)
    05-15-2015 04:09 PM
118 12345