12-27-2016 07:28 AM
118 ... 2345
tools
    can't answer your first part. I am in the US. I got the bumps as well after several months. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the band after working out. I was able to get it replaced and by temporarily charging my CC for the price of the Band I got the replacement before I shipped the old one. Not sure if that is an option for international.

With my second band I am already seeing bumps again after two months, mostly on the sensor side, not the charging part. I'm afraid this is related to my sweat and it will happen again. For now I live with the bumps and just ignore them. If they get out of band, ahem, hand, I will replace again.

sorry, but anybody using water should be fine after drying it. Even your 91% rubbing alcohol contains water. Your skin is constantly perspiring. Water is not the reason why bumps occur, otherwise the problem would occur for everybody. I've been using rubbing alcohol all along. I think it's the salt from the sweat that causes it for some people. Depending on your diet and medication you may take there could be all kinds of weird stuff in sweat.
    I think a damp cloth is fine, so long as you dry it well afterward. Anything with alcohol causes skin problems for me, so I don't use it, and I think it could cause problems with the rubber anyways.

Definitely agree re: sweat. Everyone has different levels of acidity etc. in their sweat. Luckily mine hasn't caused any problems with the Band so far.
    05-15-2015 06:28 PM
    I got my band few days ago and on the second day I got severe skin rash
    wp_20150515_13_42_41_pro.jpg
    wp_20150516_14_20_14_pro.jpg

I was wearing it watch-like, with the screen on the top of the wrist. At first I had it too tightened, so I decided to try it on the right wrist, more loosened with the screen on the inside. Woke up this morning to see this :
    wp_20150516_14_20_29_pro.jpg

The band is small size and I was cleaning it two-three times a day (been charged only twice so far).
    I contacted Microsoft Support yesterday and they will get back to me on Wednesday, but I do not know if I should ask for a replacement as this is something the skin will get used to eventually (?) or just let it go. However, I never got that from wearing a watch. Totally a shame, as I think it is a nice product.
    05-16-2015 08:32 AM
    Tsanislav, that's exactly how mine looked like (if I had better pictures like yours). I definitely think getting a replacement Band and time, along with loosening up the Band and my suggestions, will help it go away. I know how much it sucked to have those rashes and bumps. Does your itch at all?
    05-16-2015 06:03 PM
    Yes, it itches quite a lot!

I will give it another try following your suggestions.
    I also plan to order a protector for the charging connector to limit the contact between the metal and my skin. Assuming the GSR is still going to work though. We will see how it goes, but I guess I am going to need to give the skin a week to recover before I try anything.

How much time did it take for your rash blisters to disappear?
    05-17-2015 07:38 AM
    The blisters went away about a week after I got a replacement Band. The rash didn't go away until almost a month and a half of wearing the new Band and performing all of my stated suggestions. I believe the rash is just your skin getting used to the Band, but it's just a guess of mine. Please keep us updated as I'm sure someone from Microsoft is/was probably looking at this post. Best of luck to you, Tsanislav!

P.S. Something that helped in the interim period, in case you're going to events where you cannot wear your Band and need to look good, I'd recommend getting some Gold Bond Anti-Itch Skin Protectant Cream from a convenience store. It was about $8 or $9 for a small tube, but it was worth it. It won't permanently get rid of the rash, but if you're going to a dance or out for a fun night and don't want a rash on your arm, apply that stuff about 10 - 12 hours in advance and it'll be mostly gone.
    Tsanislav likes this.
    05-17-2015 03:56 PM
    Mine isn't as severe as some of the pictures, but still getting a light rash from using MS band :( Posted suggestions are not working for me so far (other than switching out the device which I didn't try yet)
    06-03-2015 04:52 AM
    I've been noticing some redness on my wrist where the charging contact points touch my wrist. The skin in that area is smooth, no bumps or rash, and it does not feel painful, itchy or any have any other sensitivity. It just looks red in that spot. I've gone 2 days without the Band because I lost my charging cable on vacation over the weekend, so the redness is finally starting to fade.

I'm not sure if this is a different issue that others are describing or if it is just a very mild case of it, but the bit of redness that I was seeing hasn't really caused me any concern yet.
    06-03-2015 10:06 AM
    I saw a new theory advanced on the rashes seen on some users of the FitBit Force. Perhaps there is some cause which could be related to the rash seen by some MS Band users. Apparently the introduction of sweat into the charging port of the Force causes a chemical reaction, producing toxic compounds like Sodium Hydroxide, which would indeed cause a skin irritation or burn. Exclusive: Stunning discovery about Fitbit bands and mystery rashes | abc13.com
    06-03-2015 07:28 PM
    wow better not wear it 24/7
    06-04-2015 04:12 PM
    For those that said their skin got used to it, how long did that take approx?
    06-12-2015 04:47 AM
    About a month to fully get use to it. The metal backing on watches use to make me rash up to for about a month.
    06-12-2015 07:51 AM
    For those that said their skin got used to it, how long did that take approx?
    After getting a new replacement Band, it took about a month to a month and a half for the rash to fully go away and "get used to it".
    06-12-2015 04:18 PM
    I tried getting a new band. It was OK for a month or so but am now getting the same issue. Think I am going to give up on the band for now and see if the version2 has the same problem when it comes out. A shame as I really like it apart from this rash problem.
    07-28-2015 12:29 PM
    Hi,

I have the same exact problem and it looks just like yours. Except I clean mine regularly. Do you still have this issue?

Thanks
    07-29-2015 02:15 PM
    Puts some blue star ointment on it for about a week. You will notice after day 1 it will start clearing up. Keep the band wiped down and dry and stop wearing the band really tight. It needs to have some air flow.
    08-03-2015 11:21 AM
    Puts some blue star ointment on it for about a week. You will notice after day 1 it will start clearing up. Keep the band wiped down and dry and stop wearing the band really tight. It needs to have some air flow.
    08-03-2015 11:22 AM
    I've never been bothered by my Band that I've had about 4 months now. On days where I've gone without it, I've noticed some redness beneath the surface of my skin, but nothing that has worried me. The skin itself doesn't show any signs of a rash, bumps, dry skin, or anything. I don't feel any discomfort, so without the slight discoloration, I wouldn't even have realized that the Band was affecting my arm at all.
    08-04-2015 02:44 PM
    I developed the rash after about 2 days. My wife suggested that I was wearing it too tight so I loosened it about 2 notches and the rash has more or less started clearing up.
    09-14-2015 05:03 PM
    When your rash was developing did the skin start peeling off? I started noticing my skin was itchy and peeling near the sensor.
    09-15-2015 04:28 AM
    When your rash was developing did the skin start peeling off? I started noticing my skin was itchy and peeling near the sensor.
    It did a tiny bit where I had developed a little pimple. I notice more irritation when I sweat under the Band. Perhaps that's the main issue.
    09-16-2015 01:19 PM
    I've had my band for 4-5 months and this happened to me for the first time yesterday...the only difference I can say I did was that I made it as tight as I ever had it before because I got tired of it slipping down.
    rash.jpg
    10-07-2015 04:21 PM
    I've been swapping my band to my other arm when I sleep. But then I got a "line rash" on my sleeping arm, so I stopped doing that. I'm not sure what triggered it. But I'm now wearing my Band on my "day" arm 23/7 with no problems.
    10-08-2015 05:54 PM
    Hey. I thought I was alone in this. I had my band for 5 months now. For the first 2.5 months no rash or bumps. Suddenly the rash started after 2.5 months and I've been wearing it less(thus less enjoyment). I also noticed that the charging thing got harder to attach around the same time(it didn't always set in right with the contacts touching). On closer examination now, you can see that there are a few deformations and bumps in the metal surrounding the charger contacts and the sensor. Also, on the left and right side of the wrist, the plastic has begun peeling back, exposing more metal components, I wonder if that will cause irritation as well now.
    I had not cleaned my band with anything at all in the last 5 months other than wiping the screen, but after reading this thread, I am going to try keeping the band on until my skin gets used to it, and cleaning it once a day with alcohol.

I think band 2 will have less of this issue, because from all the pictures it looks to have less metal in contact with the skin. Maybe the engineers have taken this thread as feedback and actually changed the design. I certainly love the band, and will continue to support it, if not band 2, the next iteration for sure.
    11-06-2015 04:05 PM
    Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, BUT, I may have the definitive answer.

I suffer a lot with this rash. My wife bought me a Stainless steel Citizen Red Arrows watch. 450!! Within a week I had the exact same rash. Luckily, having bought it online, she was able to return it under the distance selling regulations in the UK. She bought me the titanium version. Rash cleared up.

I had allergy tests at the Docs and nothing set it off. Anyways, after much trial and error, it was diagnosed as a reaction in the Stainless Steel. When you sweat, the salts in the sweat react with the stainless steel, which releases nickle, causing the rash. This can be exaggerated with a 'fitness' tracker, as invariably you will be sweating when wearing it.

I have not had the problem with the titanium watch.

There is a way of reducing the chance of the rash. The dermatologist told me to apply clear nail varnish!! Yes, really! I tried it on my Breitling, which has a stainless bracelet, and no issues! Could be tricky on the band though. I only got mine today (reduced prices rock!!), so I'm having a tinker with some kind of cover. If I can get the cut outs in the right place, I'll be chuffed. I've got some sheets of clear plastic, which, like laminating sheets, react to heat and stick firm.
    920Walker likes this.
    11-14-2015 07:22 PM
    Support replaced mine and I got the same problem with the new one.... Will get a refund but Microsoft is not answering my questions regarding how are they going to deal with the rash problem. Since I sent the band back to MS I do not have the rash bit I have a dark mark that looks permanent. wp_20151016_001.jpg
    11-16-2015 09:18 PM
118 ... 2345