Anyone developed a rash/bumps?

Paul Sorice

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
I wore the band through 48 miles of running over a week. Shortly after the band started developing bumps on the metal around the charging and heart rate sensors. During that time the band was irritating my skin but not as much as I have seen posted here. A few weeks later the bubbles looked to have worn through to copper? (See image) I posted to the MS support forum and they suggested contacting support for a replacement. I ended up doing a mail in exchange through the MS support site 4 day turn around.

image1.jpeg

I'll be honest I haven't seen these in stock online or in store in about a month or more. Maybe there will be a recall because I'm guessing this issue is more prevalent than it seems and the corrosion is causing reactions. I personally don't have problems with watches or metal items but once the corrosion started on the band I was definitely getting itchy and slight redness after a day of wear.

sublimese

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
My band had the bumps on it, sent it back to Microsoft and got a replacement. Had the replacement for a few weeks now and......

WP_20150211_002.jpg

So apparently there is something about me that the metal in the band does not like. Odd, as I daily wear a watch with a stainless steel band and prior to the band wore a fitbit force. Never had an issue with the watch band or the fitbit.

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
@Sublimese, perhaps you are starting to become Magneto! :)

In all seriousness, that is very odd! Hopefully Microsoft is taking note of all of this and are improving the next iteration of the Band for us individuals who are having skin/metal issues.

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my third band now. The first one developed the bumps in about 6 weeks and the second one in about 3. This one seems to be holding up better. I've had it for about 3 weeks and still looks pretty good. I

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same symptom, the bumps that appear on the GSR sensor as you guys have. Makes charging the Band extremly difficult ;(

Problem is I'm in Germany, you guys think I can send it to MS in the US and they send a replacement to Germany?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: at Excalibur1814's recommendation below, I added these two pictures. Ignore the Band's metal imprint (and I've ensured the redness is NOT caused by it being too tight on me).
View attachment 93092View attachment 93093

Wow that looks uncomfortable! It reminds me of when I was a mechanic. I usually wore a regular metal wristwatch with a metal band. Every once in a while I would get a rash that looked similar to yours. It seemed to happen if my hand/wrist was exposed to gasoline, diesel fuel, parts cleaner, or some kind of solvent that mechanics often come in contact with. Sometimes I would have to stop wearing the watch until the rash went away. I don't know if the rash was caused by a reaction between the metal of the watch/band and the liquid, or if my wrist under the watch didn't get cleaned well enough.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, it looks like I'm beginning to get a small rash from my Band as well over the last two weeks. I haven't worked out with my Band (yet), mostly for sleep tracking. The bumps on the HR sensor exposing whatever metal beneath is probably the culprit. I'll be passing by the MS Store later to see if they have one I can swap with.

Band.JPG

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've gotten the start of a rash a time or two. I do switch-off arms when I go to sleep. And if I'm getting a rash, I'll but a dab of aloe gel on it. That seems to stop it.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same symptom, the bumps that appear on the GSR sensor as you guys have. Makes charging the Band extremly difficult ;(

Problem is I'm in Germany, you guys think I can send it to MS in the US and they send a replacement to Germany?

As long as you use a shipping forwarder in the US to post/ship to then they should honour it

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
As long as you use a shipping forwarder in the US to post/ship to then they should honour it

Well I had a friend buy one in a brick and mortar store and send it to me... I planned to send it to MS and hoped they send the replacement straight to me...
Is there a timeframe after the date of purchase, where I can actually get a replacement?

I clean it every day with a q-Tip and water, but seems to be getting worse...

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I had a friend buy one in a brick and mortar store and send it to me... I planned to send it to MS and hoped they send the replacement straight to me...
Is there a timeframe after the date of purchase, where I can actually get a replacement?

I clean it every day with a q-Tip and water, but seems to be getting worse...
Assuming you haven't done anything else funky with the Band to get those bumps, the standard one-year warranty should work. Just get in touch with MS to start the return process and explain your situation with them.

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, I noticed a rash on my arm this morning, just the inside of my wrist, back side of the screen rests there. I looked at the Band itself and saw the metal corroding on both sides. That corrosion should be addressed now that MS has released the product (which I ADORE) into the wild--Best Buy, Target, Amazon, etc. I'll contact MS to arrange a replacement.

WinampLlama

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I was getting some light rashing for the first 3 or 4 weeks of wearing it but it's started to get much better. Have a feeling your skin just needs to get used to it

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just a quick follow up question. Do I have to go through the whole live agent process or is there like an email adress i can write to and send the pics from my band with in order to get the whole process started?

Thats how my Band looks:
IMG_0490.jpgIMG_0492.jpg

Jeremy Griffith

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
My heart rate monitor sensor was starting to look like that, too. I went to the MS store near me (still 90 min away) yesterday for a replacement. I hope the new one doesn't have the same issue....

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
All brands of smartwatch, fitness bands, watches with man made materials WILL effect some humans and animals - this is a fact and nothing is going to change it. Just the same as some people are allergic to certain natural materials - wool, cotton, leather, etc.

No amount of complaining is ever going to change the fact that humans (just like technology) are not perfect ;-)

leigcker

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I found this article after a Google search I was worried it was just me. The pictures below show how the rash is currently after keeping the watch off that arm and now that the redness is starting to calm down.

WP_20150420_16_19_12_Pro.jpgWP_20150420_16_19_44_Pro.jpg

Swapped arms as the first few days was wearing to track sleeping but when seeing the rash stopped doing that and only been wearing during the day. Only got this last Wednesday afternoon. Its the (UK) small version and I tried wearing both ways on the wrist with the rash.

No workouts as of yet just day to day use and no known allergies but will have a look at the band after seeing the pictures and comments about the bumps and corrosion. So far the other wrist is fine after a few days usage but taking off in the evenings.

I have tried to keep the wrist with the rash as clean as possible and have been using Germolene to reduce the redness and to aid healing.

Last edited:

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
A few things that really helped me, leigcker, (as the OP) was to really wash my wrist and forearm in the shower where I'd be wearing my Band and wearing the Band looser than I typically would. Other than that, just time will make it go away as your skin gets used to it. Best of luck and hope it disappears quickly!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss