My Microsoft Band First Impressions and Initial Review

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Band from a member on here and it arrived in the mail this morning. I was excited to fire it up and put it to use. It's kind of a simple elegance. The design isn't going to wow anyone and isn't flashy. I think I'd like it to be a little less bland, but obviously not the biggest deal. However, I find that the Band is pretty awkward. For one, it needs to be contoured to your wrists more, and that could easily be addressed with a curved display like the Samsung Gear Fit. As far as wearing it on the inside vs outside of your wrist, there's no easy choice. The Band is much easier to use when worn on the inside of your wrist because interacting with it is much more natural. However, I found it very uncomfortable; plus it looks weird. Wearing it on the outside of your wrist FEELS more natural and more comfortable, but interacting with it was awkward because of the viewing angle. There's really no win there.

The software runs pretty well with no glitches or lag from my experience so far. The screen quality is very nice, but I wish the touchscreen could be a little more sensitive for quicker scrolling, but that could be due to the screen protector. Customizability is nice and fits in nicely with the rest of the Windows line. All of the notifications do as they are supposed to, but I have a complaint about messaging. With text messages, when the notification pops up, you can respond with a preset text message. That's fine, but it doesn't give you the option to reply directly with Cortana. Granted, you can tell Cortana to send a message to someone, but not directly from the notification. That's kind of a pain. I'd also like to see the ability to directly respond to texts with Cortana, but also emails. Some other features I'd like to see are music controls as well as a golf GPS feature. All of the functionality is there, and I think that would be huge for folks like myself. Directions from the Band would be a nice touch and have it vibrate when you need to turn for example.

I haven't had a chance to use it for my workouts or anything, but the pedometer seems to be pretty accurate in calculating my steps and the heart rate monitor seems to be accurate as well. I'll have to check all of that and see how it compares to the data on the treadmill. The workouts seem really cool and I will be trying out a few of them and will get back with my take on the fitness aspect of the Band as well as going in depth about Health (can't say a whole lot without working out and having the data there).

As far as battery life goes, it seems to be pretty good. Granted, I haven't used it at all for any fitness activities or the GPS, and with me using it for about 10 hours, I can't give any detailed battery life info. However, it seems like I should be able to get a good 2 days worth even with workouts since it doesn't even look like the battery meter has even moved since I started using it. Time will tell though.

The Band is a good start, but there are a lot of software possibilities and hardware aspects that could be addressed and improved in the second gen model. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the Band, mainly due to the awkwardness and not the software or capability, but I'll give it a good run before I make up my mind. It seems like a good start by Microsoft and surely can only get better. I have a feeling that the second gen Band will be a total homerun.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One thing I forgot to add which bugs the heck out of me...any time I walk out of Bluetooth range with the Band, I need to go into the settings in the Band and turn Bluetooth off and back on for it to reconnect with my phone.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
What OS version are you running on your phone? I had that issue along with some other weird Bluetooth bugs, but updated with DP and it fixed everything as far as I've noticed.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Keep us posted. Doesn't sound too much different than what we've read about the Band already but everyone's experience will be different and I am curious about your overall when you get to that point. Thanks for the review.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
One thing I forgot to add which bugs the heck out of me...any time I walk out of Bluetooth range with the Band, I need to go into the settings in the Band and turn Bluetooth off and back on for it to reconnect with my phone.

When I used it with iOS8, it had trouble reconnecting as well. Sometimes, i had to go as far as forgetting the device and re-pairing. Kind of a pain. So it's not just an issue with Windows phones.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What OS version are you running on your phone? I had that issue along with some other weird Bluetooth bugs, but updated with DP and it fixed everything as far as I've noticed.

On the Icon with whatever the latest version of 8.1 through the DP is

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I used it with iOS8, it had trouble reconnecting as well. Sometimes, i had to go as far as forgetting the device and re-pairing. Kind of a pain. So it's not just an issue with Windows phones.

Jeez that's annoying, especially to the extend of forgetting it completely. Sounds like something that needs to get worked on. Well, about to hit the sack a little earlier than usual tonight and give the sleep tracking feature a go. Night folks!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As a fitness device, the Microsoft Band EXCELS! This this is nothing short of awesome. Downloading workouts to the Band is an amazing feature. I was looking through them in the app and was thinking to myself "These aren't going to be good workouts...60 seconds of rest between sets, way too easy" but I was dead wrong. The workouts are very good and timed perfectly. They really have everything figured out well. I did the Arms Race one yesterday and I had to go down a weight size for the final exercise. It gives you the calories burned, fat calories burned, recovery time, etc etc. As far as the heart rate monitor, it is pretty accurate, just within a few beats of what the built in Polar one says on my treadmill. Sleep info is also very good and seems accurate. For example, last night I had a dream that the Eagles (you wouldn't believe that a crazy football fan I am) randomly lost to the Ravens last night and looking at my sleep data and there was a point to where my heart rate got up to almost 120, so that explains it lmao. I just found that interesting ;).

One thing that people complain about is that there is so much data the Band collects you have no clue what to do with it. I also share that view, and I have a feeling Microsoft will be addressing things like that in the future.

As far as battery life goes, this this is great. My initial prediction was right, I could easily get 2 days of battery life. With that being said, I don't use the GPS at all as I do my running at home on the treadmill. I've read people saying that the GPS absolutely destroys the battery life within hours which I could definitely imagine seeing as the Band has a total of 200mAh capacity. Maybe I'll go for a run out back in the woods just to see what happens to the battery when I have the run tracking mode with GPS on.

EDIT: I've also made the bold decision of wearing the Band on the outside of my wrist due to sheer comfort. While the viewing angle definitely isn't ideal, it's manageable, and I've gotten used to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05