The Band on my iPhone 6

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
WTH am I doing with an iPhone 6?! It's a story about my migration from AT&T to T-Mobile, and I was planning to post about my experience being a long time WP user (actuaally, since WCE 1.0) using an iPhone for the past month. More on that on another post if folks are interested.

So on day one, I paired the Band with my L920. Wasn't too sure about it in the first few hours, and absolutely loved it after that. People thinking about getting a FitBit, or Jawbone? NO, how about you buy a Band instead? Oh, it's out of stock... Anyways, like many of you, I started showing the Band off in what it can do. It is something. After a short time, I picked up an iPhone 6 and decided to really try it out with this competing OS. Here are my thoughts:

• Almost everything works, except for Cortana
  • Not having Cortana really sucks
  • BT pairing often gets corrupted or something

So basically it works almost as well on this iPhone as it does on my L920 - as advertised. The absence of Cortana is a big deal though, and Siri is kind of dumb. All I can do is respond to texts by way of the canned messages, and even then it's kind of a problem because the Band only allows that response when previewing the message - not after you've read it by scrolling. Then there's the problem with keeping the Band connected. For some reason, it keeps dropping the BT pairing after a day or two. I cannot reestablish the connection to the phone app until I've deleted the Band on the app, and reset the Band to factory settings. After I did that twice, I am now using the Band independent of the iPhone and sync'ing when I get home to my L920. Sad.

I heard the BT stack is terrible on the iPhone. Perhaps that's the cause? Did anyone here use the Band with an Android device?

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the band in my 6 as well. Yes, the BT sucks on it and the band wouldn't stay connected. It would not re-pair on its own. It's horrible. That said, most BT stack is horrendous. My Bluetooth earbuds disconnect constantly during my runs. It's infuriating. So I could hardly blame the band. But I will point out that my pebble never disconnects from my 6. Or is it does, it reconnects without me noticing, so it is partially the implementation of the band that contributes.

vinscuzzy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Just to chime in, my band has only disconnected once from my 1520 where it didn't reconnect. And I've had the band for exactly a month.

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to reading your experience from WP to iphone.
Here is mine: It sucks. I traded my L925 for an iPhone 6 when it first released. physically, its a nice phone. Safari is good, Xbox Music (at the time) worked better. BUT: Last week I went to an MS store and traded my iPhone for a HTC M8. The iPhone refused to sync all my contacts, or update the ones it did sync with photos. I also missed several txt messages because the speaker is not loud at all. In fact, the vibration was louder than the speakers. I have an alarm set in the morning and it would go off before the sound would. It vibrated so loud that it woke my gf up too. And the sound from the speakers would be drowned out. Going back to WP has been awesome.

hoermal

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I am still looking for an iOS release in Germany. The App is only available in the US Store and I have no US Account. :unhappysweat:

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
BT pairing and reconnect with my Samsung Galaxy s5 is amazing. The other day I left my phone in one office to chat with someone in another office about 150 feet away (three walls in between ) and I was getting notifications the whole time.

davsug

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I've had the Band paired with my iP6 since launch day. Absolutely love and and haven't touched my Pebble since. Very few problems. BT very rarely drops, and all he functionality is great. I used to work at Microsoft and was a very big MSFT fan. I prefer WP over iOS as an operating system by far, but for me it's about the apps, and WP apps can't come close to iOS apps, especially with games.
I do wish I could access Siri, and hope that'll be in an update. Waiting to see what we get for an update. Also, you said you can reply to texts??? I didn't think that was possible with an iPhone and the band. Isn't that just WP functionality?

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Band paired with my iP6 since launch day. Absolutely love and and haven't touched my Pebble since. Very few problems. BT very rarely drops, and all he functionality is great. I used to work at Microsoft and was a very big MSFT fan. I prefer WP over iOS as an operating system by far, but for me it's about the apps, and WP apps can't come close to iOS apps, especially with games.
I do wish I could access Siri, and hope that'll be in an update. Waiting to see what we get for an update. Also, you said you can reply to texts??? I didn't think that was possible with an iPhone and the band. Isn't that just WP functionality?

i was going to reply to the exact same thing. i think he is mistaken about replying to txts using canned messages. does the OP care to elaborate on how this done on the iPhone 6?

also, i have had zero issues with my band and bluetooth on my iPhone 6. in fact, i frequently get up from my desk, leaving my phone behind but still wearing my band, and every time i return it automatically reconnects with my band and gives me notifications. i'll even be on my way from walking back and get a notification because it reconnects from so far away. not saying you don't have this issue, just reporting that not everybody with an iPhone 6 and MS Band have the same issue.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
. Also, you said you can reply to texts??? I didn't think that was possible with an iPhone and the band. Isn't that just WP functionality?

i was going to reply to the exact same thing. i think he is mistaken about replying to txts using canned messages. does the OP care to elaborate on how this done on the iPhone 6?

I looked over my post, and wrote " All I can do is respond to texts by way of the canned messages..." which may not have been enough emphasis. Yes, no replies except for using canned responses. Unless someone writes a one sentence question, responding to it with a canned message isn't likely - that's a Band thing that should fixed. Say, tap to read the full text, then tap-hold to select a canned response.

I assume that the Band would be able to use Siri or Google Now when and if Apple/Google allows MS to use their API. Meanwhile, I'll still be using my iPhone 6 for another 2 months so that it would be eligible for the carrier unlock.

Thanks for sharing your iPhone/Band experience. Seems like issues are sporadic, and at least some of you have not had problems. Going to hard reset yet again and attempt to use it with my iThing.

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I looked over my post, and wrote " All I can do is respond to texts by way of the canned messages..." which may not have been enough emphasis. Yes, no replies except for using canned responses. Unless someone writes a one sentence question, responding to it with a canned message isn't likely - that's a Band thing that should fixed. Say, tap to read the full text, then tap-hold to select a canned response.

I assume that the Band would be able to use Siri or Google Now when and if Apple/Google allows MS to use their API. Meanwhile, I'll still be using my iPhone 6 for another 2 months so that it would be eligible for the carrier unlock.

Thanks for sharing your iPhone/Band experience. Seems like issues are sporadic, and at least some of you have not had problems. Going to hard reset yet again and attempt to use it with my iThing.

Sorry, but I don't think you're using the Microsoft Band with an iPhone. Microsoft themselves said it is currently not supported (Messaging on Microsoft Band) as does this article from re/code (http://recode.net/2014/12/05/microsoft-band-part-one-everyday-functions/):

"And you can’t reply to these messages using iOS.If your Band is connected to an Android or Windows Phone, you can only select canned text messages for your reply."

I also tried what you said and couldn't get it to pull up canned responses nor could I see what the canned responses were from within the app.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I was planning to post about my experience being a long time WP user (actuaally, since WCE 1.0) using an iPhone for the past month. More on that on another post if folks are interested.

I'm planning on doing the same thing. I would be very interested to hear about your experience.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't think you're using the Microsoft Band with an iPhone. Microsoft themselves said it is currently not supported (Messaging on Microsoft Band) as does this article from re/code (http://recode.net/2014/12/05/microsoft-band-part-one-everyday-functions/):

"And you can’t reply to these messages using iOS.If your Band is connected to an Android or Windows Phone, you can only select canned text messages for your reply."

I also tried what you said and couldn't get it to pull up canned responses nor could I see what the canned responses were from within the app.

I'm about to do the reset on the Band right now to re-pair it to the iP6 (which... I certainly have, and if completely necessary I post a photo to prove it? Really?) but bummed to wipe out the 1,500+ steps I already have counted that wasn't sync'd.

Perhaps the problem I'm encountering then is that I also have the Band paired to my L920. I was thinking that I could move between devices easily, and now it seems that the issues of the connection loss is due to that along with what I remember seeing about the canned messages. The absence of canned messages on iOS will make it difficult for me to recommend the Band to iOS users unfortunately.

Going to reset now. Hope it sticks.

:::Update:::
It looks like having the Band paired on both phones may have been the problem. I no longer see the option to create canned responses.

Last edited:

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Bluetooth has gotten flaky on my iPhone 6 and the Band since updating to iOS 8.1.2. It worked perfectly and reliably before that. I might have to put my iPhone on the shelf and fire up my Lumia Icon for a while.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth has gotten flaky on my iPhone 6 and the Band since updating to iOS 8.1.2. It worked perfectly and reliably before that. I might have to put my iPhone on the shelf and fire up my Lumia Icon for a while.

I'm on day 4 with the Band connected to the iPhone and so far it has not disconnected. Do you have your Band paired to both the iPhone and your Icon? It might be the problem and if that's the cause, it really sucks.

I'll be pairing it up again to my L920 again tomorrow, because dammit I want to Pimp My Band. Perhaps there won't be any problems if I don't attempt to establish partnership to the L920 to pimp it-just BT pairing. Will report results.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

Bluetooth on iOS 8 in general sucks. It got worse for me on 8.1.2 as well, though.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
treoline.blogspot.com
Interesting thread. I picked up the last Band at my local Microsoft store 5 days ago. It's working great with my iP6. I've had a few of the fitness trackers/smartwatches like: the vivosmart (which dropped BT all the time), Martian Watch (dropped BT), Pebble (always solid) and my Band has a solid BT connection.

I use my Band for my Crossfit worksouts, HR monitoring throughout the day, sleep tracking and keeping up with notifications on my phone throughout the day. Its never dropped BT, even when I leave my phone on the kitchen counter and go to a room upstairs (3500sqft home).

I just wish something like the SyncSolver app was around for the MS Health app. Everything else is great!

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
The BT on iOS 8 is bit flakey, in my experience. The BT often lose connection going in and out from my home cordless phone, and car. That said, it has no issue with my Jaybird BT earbuds. It may have something to do with which version of BT the connecting device is using.

I had to pair Band with my 6+ couple of times since Christmas. Not a big deal. I frequently leave BT range and comeback to have messages, email and notification sent to my Band once I'm in the range. At the gym, both Band and Jaybird are connected via BT and I have never lost either connection.

Overall, no complaints.