Swimming with the Band

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Anyone dared swimming with the band yet? Just curious. If someone has done takedowns I'm thinking someone would test the waters with it too, quite literally.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Please try it, then report back. I wonder if that Liquipel treatment would work. Maybe someone will come up with a case for it with a little window for the optical sensor.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I just purchased Microsoft Complete for my band.

There is actually no deductibles for "accidents". It is limited to one replacement only.

Hmmm...

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It's water resistant down to 1m for 30min. I wouldn't try it.

Especially since I think that rating is for static pressure - not the dynamics you find in swimming.

We also had a forum member ruin his Band by accidentally showering with it. (Soap also changes things.)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Nice video. But it still backs up Microsoft's claims and I don't think Microsoft is being conservative in its rating. That was only a couple inches of water for 20 minutes. Like I said previously it is rated at 1m for 30 minutes, that's based on actual testing. Also, like DroidUser42 said, swimming changes the dynamics. Bottom line - Don't swim or shower with it. However, normal hand washing and being out in the rain should not be a problem.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
"changes the dynamics"?

1 meter is plenty deep for swimming. the force on a device within 1 meter of water is not any greater unless you swim at the speeds of a speedboat.

that said, I wouldn't mind testing it (when it gets warmer). however, the test would still be anecdotal and wouldn't necessarily apply to everyone's situation.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The pressure at 1m is 2psi more than unsubmerged. For a human body that is negligible... we can't even feel it. For a water resistant device such as the Band, it's a bigger deal since the device's seals aren't made to withstand that pressure for prolonged periods in a static test. Add the movement of swimming itself and you've changed the dynamics. Does that make sense?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is what Microsoft says:

Microsoft Band product safety and regulatory info | Microsoft Band water resistance

IP6X - Dust proof
IPX7 - Water resistant down to 1m for 30min

IP67 - Total rating.

Here is how the ratings work:

IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's kind of confusing at first. A quick break down. The first number is solid; the second is liquids.

So essentially they just set it in 1m of water for 30min. If it was still working and had no water infiltration then it is rated for IPX7 for water.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs