Calories consumed tracking with Band

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
The one shortcoming I found with my Band is the lack of Calories consumed vs burned measurements. Thinking I would get this when activating MyFitnessPal integration, it's absence was disturbing. In fact, I considered reverting to a Fitbit device, but frankly I would really miss the features ( like notifications ) in my Band.

Then I found a solution. I have a Nokia Lumia Icon phone running Denim and 8.1Update. Thus, it is compatible with Fitbit's windows software which can use the phone's monitoring of steps to feed the calories burned data to Fitbit and MyFitnessPal. I simply carry the phone in my pocket whenever I am "moving".

The end result is when I log in my food consumed in MFP, the Fitbit Windows app feeds it the calories burned, and MFP gives me a true measure of how well I am handling the food I eat. It keeps me on target.

Until MSFT actually integrates steps to MFP, this is a great way to use the Band, a Windows Phone, and get value on the calories front. Consequently, I won't have any need to invest in a Fitbit device. That is cool.
:shocked:

sdrexler11791

May 10, 2013
Visit site
It does show up in myfitness pal. It is listed as "microsoft calorie" adjustment under "cardio exercise" on the windows phone app and actually says "steps" on the kindle fire app.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Until MSFT actually integrates steps to MFP, this is a great way to use the Band, a Windows Phone, and get value on the calories front. Consequently, I won't have any need to invest in a Fitbit device. That is cool.
:shocked:

Bit confused by this post. MS Health app sends both steps and calories burned to MFP and it uses those values to 1) add direct exercise calories onto the daily goal, and 2) makes Band adjustment based on the rate of calories burned throughout the day versus MFP's projected calories burned. In the latter case, if more than projection, it adds the difference onto allowable calories for the day. The steps are tracked on the homepage of the MFP app and used to make the adjustment too.

Are you looking for something more? Perhaps its MFP's side for different phones OS. I use it on iOS so it may be different than WP version of MFP...

My biggest complaint is MS Health app not feeding HealthKit on my iPhone.

sdrexler11791

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The Windows Phone 8.1 version does not track steps
It does not explicitly say steps, but it does record the calories based on steps. I know this because the Kindle MFP app notes the calories are from steps and actually lists the number of steps taken. It's the same number of calories from the "Microsoft calorie adjustment" reported in the WP 8.1 MFP app.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately that is not the case. If I turn on an activity, that info will be transferred to MFP. Otherwise, nothing goes over. So there is no band adjustment in MFP for routine steps. Also, there is no return value from MFP to the Band relative to calories consumed.

When I discussed this need ( it is present with Fitibt ) with the CS reps at MSFT, they said it was a great idea !

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I realize that Verizon has not released the update ... and in fact they didn't release Cyan. No, it is not a developer's version, but it is Denim and 8.1 Update. Lets just say its because of the nature of my work ... and it is a totally legit copy.

jropelato1

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I realize that Verizon has not released the update ... and in fact they didn't release Cyan. No, it is not a developer's version, but it is Denim and 8.1 Update. Lets just say its because of the nature of my work ... and it is a totally legit copy.

I want your job

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786