Driving/walking directions on Band?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
First, it IS supported and it DOES work. If you have an Android phone running Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) or higher, the Microsoft Health app, and Google Navigator it will work as advertised. If you think it is truly false advertisement then file a claim with the Better Business Bureau or return it.

Since there is no built in (i.e. Microsoft owned) navigation system built into Windows Phone it won't work until Nokia (Here+ Drive), Waze, or any other third party app adds that functionality into the app.

Maybe not "exactly" the same thing but when I navigate on an Android phone, it apparently sends turn notifications, which show up automagically on the Band.

​-Matt

Just like Matt posted previously it DOES work. It will depend on phone make, OS and app being used.

Second, I was just pointing out a discrepancy in online literature and nothing more. I will also say AGAIN, that Microsoft should caveat the turn by turn directions with something along the lines of it only works if you are using certain apps/OS combination.

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
First, it IS supported and it DOES work. If you have an Android phone running Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) or higher, the Microsoft Health app, and Google Navigator it will work as advertised. If you think it is truly false advertisement then file a claim with the Better Business Bureau or return it.

Since there is no built in (i.e. Microsoft owned) navigation system built into Windows Phone it won't work until Nokia (Here+ Drive), Waze, or any other third party app adds that functionality into the app.

Just like Matt posted previously it DOES work. It will depend on phone make, OS and app being used.

Second, I was just pointing out a discrepancy in online literature and nothing more. I will also say AGAIN, that Microsoft should caveat the turn by turn directions with something along the lines of it only works if you are using certain apps/OS combination.

I'm not sure why you're coming off so angry, we're both on the same side (people who really like their Bands).

At any rate, you wrote a lot of words and simply ignored this simple thing. It's so simple, but yet you keep going on about unrelated things and that keep this thread going. This feature right here is just simply not supported:
Cortana
Use your voice to take notes and set reminders with Cortana.3 Or ask her to give driving directions and keep you on top of news, stocks, weather, and more. She’s ready to help whenever you need it.
Buy Microsoft Band - Microsoft Store

It's simple: Cortana does not give you directions via the band. At least not in any usable way. I guess if they think saying "Cortana, get me directions to..." and then having me to go to my phone to use it (not the band) for directions as the feature...then that is incredibly misleading.

You keep bringing up the fact that it works on Android phones. And I'm saying that's great and all...even though I think it's completely coincidental that it "works" there (it just so happens that basically 'everything' is supported on Android phones since it just sends notifications for pretty much everything, it seems). But again, it's super simple. Driving directions when paired with Android devices is just simply not what they're saying is supported. They're talking about Cortana. Windows Phones. You know, like your Icon.

I love my Band and don't want to return it. I'm not sure why your stance is "if you don't like it, return it". That's kind of a ridiculous stance to take on a product. One can really enjoy a new product, but also see it for what it is (a really cool demonstration product) and also see it's limitations (like the fact that it completely and utterly is destroying my Icon's battery life...I can't even make it half a day now, which is a bit of a let down).

But the driving directions thing is more of just an annoyance since they're advertising it and it isn't supported at all (again, we're talking about specifically Cortland-delivered Directions). I don't care enough to pursue anything beyond a forum inquiry (BBB inquiry I think is a bit overkill, but if someone wants to go for it, great). At best it is lame, and at worst it is false advertising. I don't care that much because it isn't a big feature for me...but if I were buying a product for a feature that was advertised and wasn't supported, I'd be pretty upset.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Why do you feel that's misleading? They say "...Or ask her to give driving directions..." Where does it say that you'll receive the driving directions on your wrist? (Who the heck would WANT that anyway? The thing would buzz and you know you're supposed do something, but what? Maybe it's just me, but I think looking at my wrist while driving would be pretty disastrous. lol)

You can also ask Cortana to give you the current weather. And Cortana will happily fetch it for you. And display it on your phone. Almost any interaction with cortana is just going to fire up the results on your phone, because the band isn't going to be able to show the results.

Honestly, I read all the same things you pointed to and I never expected driving directions on my band. :\

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Cortana itself is NOT a navigation app. It is nothing more than a personal digital assistant. Just like Siri and Google Now. Neither actually give you turn by turn directions. They answer your query (i.e. "How do I get to the Microsoft Store?") and send the results to whatever default navigation app you use.

Android/Google Now/Google Navigator = Tight integration (all three are owned and controlled by Google)
iOS/Siri/Apple Maps = Tight integration (all three are owned and controlled by Apple)
WP8.1/Cortana/Navigation app of choice = Not quite so tight integration (WP8.1 and Cortana are owned and controlled by Microsoft, but there is no integrated (i.e. Microsoft owned and controlled) navigation app).

The Band DOES show turn by turn directions... just not on Windows Phone; at least not yet.

As far as why anybody would want that. I suppose it would come in handy if you are using the pubic transit system and/or walking and you want to keep your hands free for other reasons (like carrying bags or something). Having the haptic vibration would help if you are in a noisy downtown environment where you may or may not hear the voice prompt. It also allows you to walk and focus on what's going on around you while en route to your destination. The haptic vibration will prompt you to look either at the Band or the phone. I've seen so many people walking head down looking at their phones walk into poles and other people because of that.

So yes, I do see a use for turn by turn notifications on the Band for non-driving situations.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I can say for sure that it's pretty annoying in your car when you already have voice prompts from your phone and your wrist keeps vibrating. :wink:

But the "crowded sidewalk" (navigation while walking) scenario is kinda cool. I know I've been in European cities and the last thing I want to do is look like a total tourist by constantly whipping out my cell phone!

EDIT: I'm sure if everyone sits tight we'll see navigation prompts on the Band with Windows phones sooner or later.

-Matt

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Cortana itself is NOT a navigation app. It is nothing more than a personal digital assistant. Just like Siri and Google Now. Neither actually give you turn by turn directions. They answer your query (i.e. "How do I get to the Microsoft Store?") and send the results to whatever default navigation app you use.
I understand that.

Android/Google Now/Google Navigator = Tight integration (all three are owned and controlled by Google)
iOS/Siri/Apple Maps = Tight integration (all three are owned and controlled by Apple)
WP8.1/Cortana/Navigation app of choice = Not quite so tight integration (WP8.1 and Cortana are owned and controlled by Microsoft, but there is no integrated (i.e. Microsoft owned and controlled) navigation app).
I also understand this.

The Band DOES show turn by turn directions... just not on Windows Phone; at least not yet.
Right, which is exactly my point. It doesn't work on Windows Phones. It is pretty cool that it works with Android phones, though!

As far as why anybody would want that. I suppose it would come in handy if you are using the pubic transit system and/or walking and you want to keep your hands free for other reasons (like carrying bags or something). Having the haptic vibration would help if you are in a noisy downtown environment where you may or may not hear the voice prompt. It also allows you to walk and focus on what's going on around you while en route to your destination. The haptic vibration will prompt you to look either at the Band or the phone. I've seen so many people walking head down looking at their phones walk into poles and other people because of that.

So yes, I do see a use for turn by turn notifications on the Band for non-driving situations.

Yes, I totally agree. I think there are very real and practical use cases for the band delivering directions. Maybe not as practical for driving...although I think one could find a use if you didn't have the phone in an area that is easy to see/hear, or someone wanted to use your phone while directions ran in the background.

But the best scenarios I could envision (which was what I was looking forward to trying out) would be biking and walking directions. When I'm biking I don't want to have to pull out my phone at every intersection (talk about annoying). And if I'm walking in a busy area, it would be great to be able to keep my phone in my pocket. These are very good uses where directions on the Band could be an awesome addition.

You can also ask Cortana to give you the current weather. And Cortana will happily fetch it for you. And display it on your phone. Almost any interaction with cortana is just going to fire up the results on your phone, because the band isn't going to be able to show the results.
I know this. See below.

Honestly, I read all the same things you pointed to and I never expected driving directions on my band. :\

I don't think it's unreasonable to read that and think "hey, this might deliver directions to my band". Kind of like how when you ask Cortana for weather, it actually displays the weather on the band. Or when you ask to send a text, it lets you send a text. There are a lot of things that work this way on the Band, and considering everything that was listed with "driving directions" on that page works this way, it's not an unreasonable conclusion to come to when reading that. And if you read some of the articles I posted on the first page, it's easy to see that other people came to this conclusion, too.

We can go ahead agree to disagree on our interpretation, but this is not a far-fetched assumption based on what they wrote.

Also, as a side note, I honestly don't see the point of saying "get me directions to" on my band and then having to go to my phone. Yes, other commands bring up the info on the phone, too, but they also bring up info on the band.

Talk about being a useless "feature" if I have to go to my phone. I may as well as start Cortana from my phone to begin with! And this is my point. Why would they even bother to list it if it's that really what they're talking about. Cortana can do a lot of things where it'll bring up stuff only on the phone (like say search for something that'll bring up internet results), but you didn't see those features listed. They specifically chose to actually say "Driving direcitons", which I find/found a bit odd.

Before or after the HealthVault integration? :wink:

(Something else that was promised as fact in the ads and still not delivered.)
Haha, at least this isn't the only feature that's been talked about and not available.

EDIT: I'm sure if everyone sits tight we'll see navigation prompts on the Band with Windows phones sooner or later.
Yea, I hope so. I would like to try something like this feature out eventually. It makes sense that they'd make it work.

Last edited:

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't figure out how to do the quoting thing- hitting quote just gives me the entire msg in there. :(

Anyway... "They specifically chose to actually say "Driving directions"...

I think that's where the disconnect is happening. What they say is "ASK FOR driving directions." I see that as a huge distinction, and imo that's exactly the experience they delivered. Obviously I was wrong about thinking directions on your wrist would be undesirable or unused, since a few of you are saying you'd use them. To me, that constitutes demand, and I stand corrected. However, given the wording, I still don't feel that they've promised something undelivered.

Other than integration with webapps and other services!!!!!!! But hopefully that much is coming soon. :)

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think that's where the disconnect is happening. What they say is "ASK FOR driving directions." I see that as a huge distinction, and imo that's exactly the experience they delivered.

Right, you are interpreting it completely differently than I am.

ButI'm not alone.

Microsoft launches Band, its fitness-focused smartwatch and Microsoft Health app | mobihealthnews
Windows Phone 8.1 users can ask Cortana to take notes or set reminders with their voice from the Band. Using built-in GPS on Microsoft Band, Cortana will also be able to provide driving directions, traffic information, sports, stocks, weather, and more.
^^^^ I don't know about you...but that sounds like what I've been thinking it would mean, not what you think it would mean.

Microsoft Launches 'Band,' Its First Fitness Wearable
Microsoft phone users who link their smartphones to their Band can use Microsoft's Cortana electronic personal assistant to take notes or set reminders using voice or to get driving directions and updates on traffic, sports, stocks, weather and more. - See more at: Microsoft Launches 'Band,' Its First Fitness Wearable
^^^ Again, that sounds like directions to band, to me, at least.

Microsoft?s Band is a competitive, feature-packed fitness tracker
Windows 8.1 users will also get access the company’s Cortana personal digital assistant right on their wrist, providing information on driving directions, stocks and more.
^^^^ Information provided by Cortana to your wrist...driving directions listed. Gee...I'm seeing a pattern here!

Microsoft Band: 5 things you need to know | Other Devices News | TechRadar
You'll also get access to Cortana if paired to a Windows Phone 8.1 - meaning you can take notes or set reminders with your voice. She can also give driving directions and more just like she would from a mobile device.
^^^^ Wait, that say's "just like from a mobile device"...sounds to me like they're saying Cortana would give directions on the band just like it would on a mobile device.

I guess I'm not that crazy in interpreting it this way because clearly many other people (and professional journalists) also thought this was going to be a feature that would work that way. And considering all of the other stuff (stock, news, weather, etc.) are actually deliverable and interact-able from the Band, it is not that far-fetched of an assumption in my mind that driving directions would have some sort of simplified method of working on the band also (just like those other features listed right next to it in the "Cortana" section).

Anyway, you can go on believing and interpreting it however you like, but I don't think I'm crazy here.

And if MS really meant "ask cortana to give you directions from your band that you have to start and interact with on your phone" then that is a bit stupid. Talk about the most useless feature on the band. If I have to use my phone to do everything for the process, I'll just use my phone. The reason things like "get me weather" or something like that are useful are because I can keep my phone in my pocket.

Obviously I was wrong about thinking directions on your wrist would be undesirable or unused, since a few of you are saying you'd use them.
If they implemented it in a simple way where you could say "get walking directions to home" and then have the band say "ok, getting you walking directions to home. Say start or press the action button when ready" that would be ridiculously useful. I would use that all of the time for walking and biking. Driving directions have a use, too (albeit maybe not as useful).

However, given the wording, I still don't feel that they've promised something undelivered.
I think we can easily conclude that their wording is very unclear and possibly a bit misleading. I don't think they promised something that they haven't delivered since it isn't even clear what they were promising fully...but I think it's fair to say that their wording could have been WAY better.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
And which of those sites is an actual MS site? The only one was the one that said "Ask Cortana for directions." All the others are other people that also misinterpreted what MS actually said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte