Band shutting off/powering down on it's own

hokap

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So, had the Band since a week or two after release. LOVE it!!! Other than the occasional syncing issue, all good. However...

Yesterday the Band started to occasionally just shut off/power down. Not sure what the scoop is here. I don't see any threads specific to this as an issue. I've done the firmware update, so I don't know if it's an issue related to the update.

Anyone else having this issue? I don't want to have to reset it. I expect if it continues throughout the day I'll head to the Microsoft Store and let them check it out. I have the replacement deal, so I guess worse case scenario I get it replaced.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that doesn't sound very good, does it? Is it giving you any indication of low battery when this happens? A reset would be all I can think of, anything more would involve replacement, I'd think. You're fortunate to have an MS store in the area! There isn't one within hundreds of miles of here.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The first I've heard of this. Sometimes the band stops syncing notification, but I've not had it shut off.

What apps/tiles are you running? Maybe one is misbehaving. Could it be a notification from something you added?

hokap

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! Quick update. Reset the band to factory defaults. Still having the power down issue. Took it to the MS Store and they're ordering me a replacement. Huge bummer but they're taking care of me. LOVING the Band for sleep tracking, workout info and absolutely the notifications! I'll be a little "out of sync" for a week or so, but glad they're replacing it with out popping my replacement coverage. Sigh....... and so I wait! Lol!

xtremesteve

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Good deal (well, too bad, but good about the service). Hope you get the new one soon!

I had the same issue with my band too. Tried everything with Microsoft on the phone with resets, updates, etc and no luck.

My band at the time was maybe 3 months old? I have a replacement band and now having the same issue again.

I noticed that it happens around certain percentages. I need to document it so we can hopefully figure out the issue.

Additionally, here is a semi personal question... Are you salty? I think I am because it appear that the charging port on both my 1st and 2nd band are corroding. My wife has a band also and she doesn't have the problem with corrosion.

I would love to see this resolved.
Stephen

bittercold

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I also had a similar issue and had the corrosion. I think this is a common issue because when I ordered my replacement the person on the phone had heard of it before.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem, it would shut off after i removed it from the charger but would remain powered on. Then i started to have problems charging, it stopped charging after about 2 mins until i powered it off and on a few times.

While the charging issue never got better, the device started to have problems staying powered on for more than 5 mins.

It would inexplicably power off about 5-10 mins of use. I even did a full reset but it didn't help. I decided to take it to the micrsoft store that's about an hour away. The band was sitting on my desk for a over a week because i didnt have the time to make the drive.
This weekend i finally decided to take the device back to MS. I charged it and it went to full 100%.

After I removed the charger, oops, the device didn't power off. What a surprise..
The date was off, still said 4/24 - the last time i used it.. I accepted the date/time and then synced it with my phone and it updated everything. So far going on 3 days, no charging issues and it has remained powered on the entire time. i'm hoping that its fixed.

kryptonian0

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had this issue with 2 bands so far! the first time they gave me a new one with no questions asked, this time it happened and I am noticing if I charge it all the way to 100% it does not shutoff as fast. maybe it does have something to do with my sweat lol. thats nasty. the people at the MS store let me keep the first broken one and when I turned that one on it went like a week with no issues and no the shutting off issue has returned. this HAS to be related to something. I have done factory resets and still nothing. I hope we can eventually get a reason why this is happening.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Just as a test, you might try covering the contacts inside the connector when you put it on. The only theory I can come up with is that somehow your sweaty skin is coming in contact with the recessed contacts and putting a drain on the battery. That's strikes me as a odd design, but no one asked me when they designed it.

I assume you're not in running/biking/exercise mode for more that 5 hours a day.

Julle da Costa

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact same issue! After around three months of use my Band started to randomly shut down. I did a reset of both Band and my phone (Lumia 930). That helped for a while. Now it shuts down at least once a week. Since I do not live in the US (although I bought it in January in SF while on vacation) a replacement would probably be a lengthy affair. I would also agree with the poster writing that it seems to happen around certain percentages.In my case I get the feeling that around 30% is critical. As I this write my Band is being charged since it shut down during sleep (a first!).

At this point I see the troubleshooting more as an exercise in collecting the experiences of other Band users with this problem. On my own I do not have enough data to approach the problem in any sensible way.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
How far are you guys pushing the battery limits? My feeling is that making the battery meter a percentage was a mistake. It appears that it's just a gross estimate.

I charge every day and usually see 70% when I start to charge. But the one time I went two days, it shut down an hour short of 48 hours. So it would appear that 70% is really closer to 50%.

Julle da Costa

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I charge my Band every day. After the first random shutdown I suspected a shadow effect on the battery due to it never ally depleting. I never went below 40% for the first 3 months of use. But since I lack any means to check the battery level this remains speculation on my part.

EDIT 2015-05-13: I spoke to MS Support yesterday and they recommended a soft reset and then to fully charge the Band. I did so and so far so good. 2 hours withour shut down and counting...

Last edited:

Julle da Costa

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I realized that I had my Nokia Treasure Tag connected as well as my Band. After doing a factory reset of my Band and then uninstalling the Nokia Treasure Tag from my Lumia 930 my Band has not shut down. So given this information I am prone to point to Nokia Treasure Tag as the culprit. (Both are using Bluetooth LE AFAIK)

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I realized that I had my Nokia Treasure Tag connected as well as my Band. After doing a factory reset of my Band and then uninstalling the Nokia Treasure Tag from my Lumia 930 my Band has not shut down. So given this information I am prone to point to Nokia Treasure Tag as the culprit. (Both are using Bluetooth LE AFAIK)

I have both too with an L930, no issue

Sven Kohlhaas

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I now have the same issue. About a week ago my band shut down once after removing it from the charger but after turning it back on it stayed on. Since two days ago it shuts down like every couple minutes after I remove it from the charger (at about 30-70 %) battery. Tonight it also shut of during sleep tracking. This morning I did a factory reset and now I'm loading it up to 100 % and hope this helps.
I also noticed the corrosion on my band but in the last days it also shut of after a couple minutes while it was just lying on my desk. This is also reproduceable so I not sure how covering the loading contacts might fix the issue.

KPraestgaardNET

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I love my band but my band doesn?t love me anymore.

After the latest firmware upgrade it suddenly turns off randomly, did a reset, this solved the problem for a few days.
Today we have a strained relationship? while the Band is in the charger she is happy, not always charging but at least she is alive. when removed from the here new best friend (The charger) she still is ?online? and apparently I am a ?turn off?, seconds after she is mounted on my arm she turns off.

This can go on for like 7 ? 15 times before she gives up and stay awake on my arm? but only until the next time I have to charge here the problem in our relationship is back.

I also noticed that she refuses to charge more that 50 ? 70 % no matter how long time she is with the charger, if this is her way of staying with the charger or she is faulty I don?t know.

I see that the problem could be solved at the Micrsoft Store ? well the problem for me is that I live in EU.

Irony may occur.

Best regards
KP

ChemEngr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure it's the firmware update that caused it since my Band got that last week. I started getting the shutdown issue just the other day. I did the hard reset, and it seemed to have worked most of the day yesterday. I put it on the charger after another shutdown, and took it off after 100%. Did another hard reset. I noticed that the time between shutdowns started getting shorter until last night when it shuts itself off after 10 sec from turning it on. I'm going to a MS store this afternoon. My Band is four months old.

I keep my Band clean after working out and maybe twice daily with just a damp cloth - especially the charging contacts. Although it still developed one corrosion pit/bump. One additional observation which happened almost exactly the same time the shutdowns occurred: there were instances when attaching the charger that it won't charge (no charge indicator) which is usually remedied by taking it off and putting it back on. I don't think this was coincidence. Possibly a loose battery contact which could also trigger the random shutdowns.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo