Band in Canada

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using a US band in Canada? I heard that there are app restrictions. Any info appreciated.
I drove from Toronto all the way to Buffalo NY today to pick up my Band order from Best Buy. The Band is working perfectly in Canada without any restrictions. Even Cortana on the Band is working, and my phone region is set to Canada.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Interesting! I can't set Cortana to Canadian settings - otherwise it does not work.

I am considering buying one from the US.

Hey Cortana works for you?

Thanks,

Mr. V

I drove from Toronto all the way to Buffalo NY today to pick up my Band order from Best Buy. The Band is working perfectly in Canada without any restrictions. Even Cortana on the Band is working, and my phone region is set to Canada.

stressds

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Cortana and the Band do not require your phone to be set to the US Region to work. Microsoft Health requires the US Region to download and update the app, but to run and sync the app with your band, it can be set to the Canadian Region.

The latest MS Health update (the one that changed the tile icon to a heart) allows your language settings to be set to English (Canada) as well so you can use the Alpha version of Cortana with your Band and your phone without issue. Previously, in order to sync to the MS Health app, you had to set your language to English (United States), but then Cortana wouldn't work if your region was set to Canada. That is no longer the case and everything works flawlessly.

In short - only updating and downloading the actual MS Health app requires region switching to the US. Once you've updated, switch back to Canada.

Edit - I have a 920, so Hey Cortana isn't possible, but the rest works.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Been using the the band just over a month in Vancouver, BC Canada. Get data collecting :D

Had to switch to US region to download the health app once, but switched back to canada after and it's fine. Stuck with Cortana Alpha though :(

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you need to have your phone region set to US to download the Microsoft Health app. My phone had always been set to Canada and I was able to find the app in the store and download it just fine. Even upgraded to the newer version. That was in the last week of April.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you need to have your phone region set to US to download the Microsoft Health app. My phone had always been set to Canada and I was able to find the app in the store and download it just fine. Even upgraded to the newer version. That was in the last week of April.

Good that they have fixed it since when I did it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos