Ability to count stairs?

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!

While the functionality is not present in the Microsoft Health app (as far as I know, anyway), I was wondering if there was a possibility given the sensors inside the Band for it to count stairs?

I know some of the FitBit fitness bands can do it (Charge, ChargeHR, Surge, I believe). /Crossing my fingers for the ability!

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The Band doesn't have an altimeter sensor in it so I don't believe it will be able too. It does track elevation from GPS data, but that wouldn't help inside a building.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Others have reported that competitors are not doing well with the counting of stairs. Too many things can affect the pressure altitude and GPS altitude is marginal at best.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Others have reported that competitors are not doing well with the counting of stairs. Too many things can affect the pressure altitude and GPS altitude is marginal at best.

They don't use GPS altitude for counting steps. The altimeter does it based on pressure changes. But yes, I can see a lot of reasons why it could be quite unreliable.

Scott Shaver

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
FYI, I have used a Fitbit One for a few years now and it does record "flights" of stairs very accurately. You are correct it does use an pressure sensor (altimeter) and it records "up" flights of stairs - it considers a flight 10 feet change in elevation.

This was very handy as I had 2 flights of stairs to reach my office and traveled up/down them several times a day so I felt pretty good looking at that number every day (steps ...... not so good some days). Would be nice if the band had this feature I'll surely miss it but overall I like the band better!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro